Forxiga Advice

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I have been T2 for about 5 years but my last 2 hb1ac as seen my levels creep up. I’ve started to cut other things out of my diet which is helping but had a call with my Dr and he want to add 10mg of Forxiga to my 2000mg metformin to bring it down. He has scared the hell out of me with side effects and said I have to be really watch out for them because they can be life threatening. I’m honest I’m not sure I want to take it but am I being silly. Is the medication safe? Ut was the mention of gangrene that has me panicked. Is it a widely used drug and how common are side effects.

Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about asking the dr if he’d give you three months of trying to adjust your diet, with a repeat HbA1c at the end? Sorry I have no knowledge or experience of Forxiga

Reactions: Outlier

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about asking the dr if he’d give you three months of trying to adjust your diet, with a repeat HbA1c at the end? Sorry I have no knowledge or experience of Forxiga

Hi,

I did ask for that but he was keen to put on the tablet as he said it will help get it under control quicker and it protects your heart. I told him I had concerns after the side effects he mentioned but he said I might not have any so it’s worth a try. I usually think my dr is really good but this time it felt more like just take it. I have been depressed for the last 12 months but that’s under control now and I’m feeling a lot better so want to get back on track, maybe it’s there way of helping.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I did ask for that but he was keen to put on the tablet as he said it will help get it under control quicker and it protects your heart. I told him I had concerns after the side effects he mentioned but he said I might not have any so it’s worth a try. I usually think my dr is really good but this time it felt more like just take it. I have been depressed for the last 12 months but that’s under control now and I’m feeling a lot better so want to get back on track, maybe it’s there way of helping.
Whatever you decide just remember doctors are there to advise not dictate.

Baihaki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello,

I was put on Forxiga and Candesartan 10 months ago by my cardiologist for a cardiac condition rather than for diabetes. The cardiologist told me that the Forxiga was a diabetic drug rather than a cardiac one, but said they used it as a work-around. He told my GP to stop my prescriptions for Gliclazide to prevent me from getting hypoglycaemia. However when taking only Forxiga and Metformin my glucose levels rosé unacceptably and I asked my GP to prescribe Gliclazide too. She agreed and I started to get control of my diabetes again.
It may be worth asking your GP if Gliclazide would be suitable in your case.

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

I was put on Forxiga and Candesartan 10 months ago by my cardiologist for a cardiac condition rather than for diabetes. The cardiologist told me that the Forxiga was a diabetic drug rather than a cardiac one, but said they used it as a work-around. He told my GP to stop my prescriptions for Gliclazide to prevent me from getting hypoglycaemia. However when taking only Forxiga and Metformin my glucose levels rosé unacceptably and I asked my GP to prescribe Gliclazide too. She agreed and I started to get control of my diabetes again.
It may be worth asking your GP if Gliclazide would be suitable in your case.

Hi,

I will definitely ask about Glicazide I have heard of that medication.

Thanks

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m on Forxiga - my HBAC1 levels were around 120 at the time so doctor added this to Metformin so I took it. 2 weeks ago my levels were around 53 (although 3 weeks ago I stopped Metformin for several reasons).

I’m hoping Forxiga is working for me but maybe in a week or two I’ll drop it and see what happens as I plan on exercising but I think Forxiga may help me to reduce weight as well.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Mod as off topic and thread derail

Last edited by a moderator:

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m on Forxiga and 2000mg of Metformin. I did get thrush several times in the first few weeks but only when I went overboard with the carbs (I was on holiday and it was my birthday!) But now I keep the carbs low and drink plenty of water, no more side effects. It has brought my BG down into the 5s and 6s where it used to be 15 or 16 before. The gangrene of the perineum side effect is extremely rare but if you feel a numbness in that area seek medical advice immediately.