Free Prescription in England

Alfie44

For years ive been paying yearly for my prescriptions for my heart condition tablets and now ive been diagnosed as type 2 the metformin has been added to the prescription. Today ive heard from another type 2 that they don't pay for prescriptions due to being diabetic but they only get metformin and no other tablets, Should I still be paying for my heart tablets or does having type 2 allow me to get all my tablets for free?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alfie44

Once you are diagnosed with diabetes and prescribed a diabetes medication, ALL your medications are free, no matter what they are for. It is a good bonus.

I should add that you need to visit your GP surgery and ask for the exemption certificate.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Get the exemption certificate and you won't need to pay again.
I haven't been prescribed it this time because of my weight loss , but the stupid woman serving me at the chemist took my money when she should have told me I didn't need to pay .

Its not worth claiming it back now as it was one prescription .

Thank you anyway .

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't been prescribed it this time because of my weight loss , but the stupid woman serving me at the chemist took my money when she should have told me I didn't need to pay .

Its not worth claiming it back now as it was one prescription .

Thank you anyway .

According to the website, it looks like you are entitled. But you would need a valid exemption certificate. I applied at my GP for a form. the cert is the size of a credit card & is valid for 5 years. then it's renewed.
Even as a T1 i could get fined for not paying the script charge without a valid cert...

I doubt you would any refund on your last charge..
Hope this helps..

Reactions: Charis1213

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
According to the website, it looks like you are entitled. But you would need a valid exemption certificate. I applied at my GP for a form. the cert is the size of a credit card & is valid for 5 years. then it's renewed.
Even as a T1 i could get fined for not paying the script charge without a valid cert...

I doubt you would any refund on your last charge..
Hope this helps..

thank you i will look into that .

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you
I done mine recently and it came back within 10 working days!

All the prescriptions I paid for I got a blue form from the chemist when paying for them, then got all the money given back to me in cash. All I had to do was make sure I took the medical exemption certificate with me and the blue forms to get the refund. :)

D

Deleted Account

I just want to emphasise that you only get free prescriptions if you have the medical exemption certificate.
If you are entitled to one it is delivered quickly.

But ...
It is valid for 5 years and you must reapply for a new one.
It is not assumed your condition persists (even if there is no cure).
Regardless whether you have diabetes treated with drugs or any other entitling condition, if you have no certificate, you cannot get free prescriptions.
About a year ago, they started cracking down on this and fining people who got free prescriptions without this certificate.

Reactions: Charis1213

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
....... and you won't get the certificate if you are no longer on diabetes meds as far as I know. (or some other qualifying meds)