Free Style Libre Sensors

Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am like may experiencing issues obtaining replacement sensors. I have contacted my local Superdrug who have a waiting list of people trying to obtain these, Knights Chemist - don't supply, Boots same as Superdrug.

I have called up Libre and been advised wait for it ….. END OF JULY FOR SENSORS.

THIS IS APAULING , you find something that assists with control and can't get replacement sensors.
THE REASON FOR END OF JULY is the backlog ! they have 10,000 people waiting for them. With diabetes on the increase this should not of been allowed to happen.

I personally have had diabetes for 48 years and for the first time it is great having 7 days free of finger pricks.

I am contacting the Health Secretary and asking for his input, please feel free to do the same. perhaps as a group we can get something done.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sent direct to Abbott for 2 sensors on 4th May.
Dispatched on 9th May,
arrived 13th May.

D

Deleted Account

Hang on ... are you saying that for 7 days you never did any finger pricks and relied on your Libre for all insulin doses?
I assume you are not driving during that time because the DVLA only accept finger prick readings.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At least control wont completely collapse with a 48 year veteran like yourself.....;).....

hopefully they are working day and night in the factories....

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be fair to Abbott's they are in an unusual situation. The sensors have been made available on the NHS, and at the same time they are being sold quite cheaply in various places, so both these things have increased demand Their manufacturing facilities may be having a bit of trouble keeping up with all the orders.

I understand it's frustrating, but because they're a private company I'm not sure the health secretary can do much. I suspect they are already doing what they can to increase the supply. It's quite a high tech product, but presumably they are in the process of expanding capacity.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am sure I read new manufacturing premises were being built......its an international product now.....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Superdrug are supplying the sensors. We have had several people posting to say they have bought them at Superdrug pharmacies for (I think) around £34.

For myself, I have been using the Libre long enough to have seen several of these Boom and Bust expansions, with new manufacturing facilities being built to cope with new demand.
Nowadays, I make sure I have at least 2 sensors on my shelf, to cover the Bust, and I check the Use By dates carefully when the new ones arrive, to cover the Boom periods when they have excess stock in the warehouse and send them out with short dates.

Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hang on ... are you saying that for 7 days you never did any finger pricks and relied on your Libre for all insulin doses?
I assume you are not driving during that time because the DVLA only accept finger prick readings.

Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Superdrug are supplying the sensors. We have had several people posting to say they have bought them at Superdrug pharmacies for (I think) around £34.

For myself, I have been using the Libre long enough to have seen several of these Boom and Bust expansions, with new manufacturing facilities being built to cope with new demand.
Nowadays, I make sure I have at least 2 sensors on my shelf, to cover the Bust, and I check the Use By dates carefully when the new ones arrive, to cover the Boom periods when they have excess stock in the warehouse and send them out with short dates.

Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Be nice to actually get a sensor.
Abbott are saying you cant buy from them until 28 days after registration.
There is none of these around to buy unless i go on line and pay silly money.
I am on a waiting list with 2 local superdrugs and boots

Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Be nice if my 2 local stores had them !!
Rediculous situation . Libre cant ship til end of july