Free'ist ?????

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all had a sweet craving and found the FREE'IST website , does anyone have and views on this seemingly amazing range of sweetness?!?

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not too keen myself.....

upload_2016-11-24_10-20-56.png

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
Well I had a look and I noted Freeist dark chocolate total carbs 47.5 per 100g. however Green and Blacks 85% dark chocolate (similar for most 85% dark chocolate) total carbs 22.5 per 100gms. The only difference is the added sugar. for me I dont care about measuring added sugar I just look at total carbs and with that in mind I would always go for unadulterated green and blacks. not the full bar mind you maybe 25g.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's what I thought!!! Clutching at straws I think !!! Ever hopeful of sweet chocolatey treats

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a quick google on polyalcohols as that's the main source of carbs - sugar alcohol - it's not sugar and its not alcoholic! But:

Consumption of sugar alcohols affects blood sugar levels, although less than of sucrose. Sugar alcohols, with the exception of erythritol, may also cause bloating and diarrhea when consumed in excessive amounts

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never been a fan of dark chocolate but saying that all my tastes have changed so I might give it a try just the odd square now and again

Reactions: Serena51

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm partial to a bit of Cavalier dark chocolate, sweetened with stevia, 18.7g carbs per 100g and it tastes fantastic.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a quick google on polyalcohols as that's the main source of carbs - sugar alcohol - it's not sugar and its not alcoholic! But:

Consumption of sugar alcohols affects blood sugar levels, although less than of sucrose. Sugar alcohols, with the exception of erythritol, may also cause bloating and diarrhea when consumed in excessive amounts

Thanks @slip that's interesting think I will give them a miss I've never heard of polyalcohols I'm guessing it's a kind of sweetener rather than sugar ?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @slip that's interesting think I will give them a miss I've never heard of polyalcohols I'm guessing it's a kind of sweetener rather than sugar ?

Correct - first ingredient listed - 'Maltitol'

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sugar alcohols are changed into sugar/glucose in our bodies, but only to half the amount of calories as plain White sugar.. but it is still sugar to diabetics... to non diabetics it is othen prefered because it does not harm the teeth as much and is less calories..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_alcohol

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So just to confirm sweeteners are half as bad as sugar but still turns to glucose inside? I don't mean to state the obvious but I always thought sweeteners were exactly that sugar free ?? I guess not .... Every days a school day

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know for a fact but I'd assume sugar alcohols by definition contain carbs which we should avoid* most aren't as sweet as normal table sugar so you actually need more for the same amount of sweetness, other sweeteners - aspartame, saccharin for example are many x times sweeter than sugar and therefore you don't consume that much of it for the same level of sweetness.

But is any substitute sugar actually any good for you or not?

*depending on your type and carb tolerance!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is my idea of a treat @ terryrhino but I also like a square of very dark choc with my wine
CAROL

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Poly alcohols (aka polyols) are not excluded from the total carb count in the UK (unlike fibre, which is) but may not affect your blood sugar due to the way they work:

they are only partially absorbed and that absorption is in the small intestine rather than the stomach.

The unfortunate side effect of this is that over consumption can cause wind and diarrhoea and some people are more sensitive than others

I'm one of the lucky ones and polyols affect neither my blood sugar nor my digestion but a lot of people aren't so lucky and they either spike their blood, give them the trots or both!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want a good giggle, read the reviews of Haribo Sugar-free ***** Bears at Amazon on the effects of sugar alcohols :D

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Maltitol is the worst offender and is the one used most often commercially. Even a very small amount can put me in the bathroom for hours. Not fun. Erythritol, often mixed with stevia, is a much better choice but is not found in many commercially available chocolates and when you do find one it is extremely expensive.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you want a good giggle, read the reviews of Haribo Sugar-free ***** Bears at Amazon on the effects of sugar alcohols :D
A friend of mine was trying low carb and had a big bag of sugar free gummi bears stashed in her house. She knew they were a very small amount kind of thing. Her mother invited herself into the house while no one was home and ate half the bag. The results were spectacular to say the least.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Hi all had a sweet craving and found the FREE'IST website , does anyone have and views on this seemingly amazing range of sweetness?!?

Manitol and maltitol both give me diarrhea and hives even in very small amounts-many family and friends over the years have tried to provide me with a "safe" treat that really was not for me- Do you have allergies? It appears to be a type of food allergy for me.