Freestyle Libra 2 and mental health

Chiron74

I've been a diabetic for 20 years and only been on the Libra for the last year. I was referred to it as my Hc was around 9- 12. Not good, even though I thought it was ok-ish. Or good enough. And I was beginning to feel the consequences. Legs cramping up while cycling; background retinopathy diagnosed; numb foot. Beginning to slip into the place you don't want to go.
The Libra was revelatory to me. I could actually take this thing on now! I was never good at carb counting. All that was a little abstract. But being told high and low, and most importantly the direction of travel. And then alarms to warn you with Libra 2. It was great. I soon got an HC of 6.3 and have ever since. But recently it's not been going so well. I've always had mental health issues and this is pushing me over the edge now.
My control even though amazing to how it was, is often wild, swinging up and down violently. Injecting way more, maybe twice as much, and eating to stop the plummeting down arrow as it approaches 5. I found I was going very high in the night so now the high alarm wakes me. I'm often jabbing at 3 am or eating a piece of brown bread. The alarm goes of . I just want to sleep. Please let me sleep tonight. I could turn it off at night but I just can't do it now. I have to keep that average down. There's no way I can go back to how I lived before. I've had a few really bad nights, waking deep in the red and stumbling to the kitchen drenched in sweat.
If other things aren't going so great and my mental health is low it feels the alarm is just too much. It never stops. I just wonder if anyone else is suffering from the mental side of it?
I smashed up a phone whilst cycling to work once as the reading was so high. Had to get another one. Just slammed it down and it broke. I mean I know I just wasn't controlling it before for 20 years. I was younger then and going out a lot and as we all know you can put it out of your head quite easily as the consequences seem far off. Now I've been given this opportunity to take it on and I have, relished it. For a year I was obsessed with learning so much about my body and food and what it all means more that I ever could before. Figuring out how to cycle and stay in range. Experimenting with food and jabs. All good. But that year has gone and now it just enrages me. I always self-medicated with depression and anxiety and that too is impossible really with the alarms. Or they punish you even more. But now I'm just exhausted mentally. Almost like I should just go back to before and try to use what I learned just with finger pricks. It's hard to see this as the rest of your life as it's taking its toll already.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to read about your struggles.
You are not alone in finding that the Libre is adding to you mental health issues and should not feel that you must use it - it should be your choice,

You mentioned that you were never good at carb counting and I wonder if you could get some assistance with this.
I recommend talking to your DSN - they may be able to arrange for you to attend a DAFNE course and should be able to refer you to some mental health assistance.

Reactions: oldgreymare

SJS5

Hi

I think you would probably benefit from speaking to someone about it.
Do you have a,diabetes well being service in your area you can be referred into?
I was referred earlier in the year for similar issues and I certainly found it of benefit.
I feel the libre is a great tool but having this additional technology and information makes us strive for perfection and almost creates more pressure.
We then overcompensate by either taking extra insulin or eating to get the readings to improve further.
I like you have improved my control greatly by using the libre to learn which foods spike my blood sugars etc. But I found myself getting worked up over why I was spiking or dropping and like you take extra insulin overnight.
Through speaking with psychology service I've learned to not strive for perfection and it has helped me become more relaxed about it all.
You are doing the best you can with what you have .
You may have what they call diabetes burnout and they could help you with this.

Reactions: JMoli