Freestyle Libre 2 & Insulin Questions - Help Please!

Whippet16

Hi All,

I'm looking for some information from some more experienced folk if possible.

I've just been diagnosed with LADA in the last couple of weeks, it was misdiagnosed as type 2 previously.

I've just swapped over to separate long and rapid insulin, having been on Novamix previously.

I'm taking Fiasp and Lantus, I take the Fiasp as required and am around the 50g carb per meal as recommended by my dietician. I use carbs and cals app to calculate, everything is measured on a digital scale so defo accurate measurements. I'm finding breakfast makes my blood sugar skyrocket, but the rest of the day I'm fine or low. I had 2 hypos today. I'm on a ratio of 1 unit Fiasp to 10g carbs. I have been exercising to bring my breakfast levels back down, which is fine but I worry if I can't exercise as I have arthritis so mobility is variable. I take 18 units Lantus at night.

With the Freestyle Libre is anyone successfully able to use the do not disturb but still get the alarms and if so which phone are you using? I have a galaxy note 10, which is on the list of compatible phones, I spent over an hour on the phone with Abbott all the settings are correct but it still won't work, also spent time on the phone with Samsung still no joy. Abbott sent me a reader as a fix, but it's so quiet there is no way that's going to wake me up! Also, the touch screen is lousy, so I've had to sacrifice a sensor to swap it back to my phone.

Thank you in advance for any information!

K X

Reactions: Cornelio

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Whippet16 , welcome to the forum!
I'm finding breakfast makes my blood sugar skyrocket, but the rest of the day I'm fine or low. I had 2 hypos today. I'm on a ratio of 1 unit Fiasp to 10g carbs.

The 1:10 ratio is only the usual starting point from where you work with your team to find your own ratios.
Many of us have found we need much more insulin per carb in the morning than later in the day, sounds like you need to speak to your team about adjusting your ratios depending on time of day as well.

Take your time to learn, it's a marathon, not a sprint!

Reactions: KidDougi

Whippet16

Hi @Whippet16 , welcome to the forum!

The 1:10 ratio is only the usual starting point from where you work with your team to find your own ratios.
Many of us have found we need much more insulin per carb in the morning than later in the day, sounds like you need to speak to your team about adjusting your ratios depending on time of day as well.

Take your time to learn, it's a marathon, not a sprint!
Thank you!

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I'm looking for some information from some more experienced folk if possible.

I've just been diagnosed with LADA in the last couple of weeks, it was misdiagnosed as type 2 previously.

I've just swapped over to separate long and rapid insulin, having been on Novamix previously.

I'm taking Fiasp and Lantus, I take the Fiasp as required and am around the 50g carb per meal as recommended by my dietician. I use carbs and cals app to calculate, everything is measured on a digital scale so defo accurate measurements. I'm finding breakfast makes my blood sugar skyrocket, but the rest of the day I'm fine or low. I had 2 hypos today. I'm on a ratio of 1 unit Fiasp to 10g carbs. I have been exercising to bring my breakfast levels back down, which is fine but I worry if I can't exercise as I have arthritis so mobility is variable. I take 18 units Lantus at night.

With the Freestyle Libre is anyone successfully able to use the do not disturb but still get the alarms and if so which phone are you using? I have a galaxy note 10, which is on the list of compatible phones, I spent over an hour on the phone with Abbott all the settings are correct but it still won't work, also spent time on the phone with Samsung still no joy. Abbott sent me a reader as a fix, but it's so quiet there is no way that's going to wake me up! Also, the touch screen is lousy, so I've had to sacrifice a sensor to swap it back to my phone.

K X
It will take some time to learn your actual Carb ratio at different times of day for your Bolus and also get your Basal right. I am different to most I am more insulin's sensitive in the morning and less insulin sensitive at lunch time. Also exercise increase my sensitivity a lot for moderate intensity 1 hour exercise I will reduce my Bolus prior to meal by 30%. Most importantly keep accurate records so you can check for trends.

As others will say it's a Marathon not a Sprint. take care

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

K X

Hi,

I use a Galaxy note 9. Previously a Note 4. I also use the Diabox app. Though I have the Libre app too. All alerts are switched off with that.

If you don't wish to be disturbed but need the function of the alarm.
Have you thought about putting the device in "airplane mode" then switching Bluetooth back on..?

(Edit to chop sense into some dodgy grammar.)

Last edited:

Whippet16

Hi,

I use a Galaxy note 9. Previously a Note 4. I also use the Diabox app. Though I have the Libre app too. All alerts are switched off with that.

If you don't wish to be disturbed but need the function of the alarm.
Have you thought about putting the device in "airplane mode" then switching Bluetooth back on..?

(Edit to chop sense into some dodgy grammar.)
Hi Thanks for your reply!

I tried your suggestion and I didn't get a warning the alarms weren't on, but my regular phone alarms didn't go off. seems I can't win lol I belive I need to use the librelink app as I get my sensors through the NHS so i had to agree to them having access to the data.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Basically you need to accept that Alarms don't work with Libre 2 when your phone is set to DND. I use a Samsung Galaxy S9. Your dietician is typical of the bunch who think you need carbs with every meal otherwise your brain will die! You don't need carbs with every meal but having 150gm/day is not a bad target; less is fine as long as you adjust the Bolus to suit. More is also fine but watch your weight. Most of us find our Bolus ratio changes during the day so be prepared for that and use a ratio based on your experience.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I belive I need to use the librelink app as I get my sensors through the NHS so i had to agree to them having access to the data.
I use both LibreLink and DiaBox, they work alongside eachother except the alarms in LibreLink need to be turned off for DiaBox to work. So Your team will still have access to the data. :)
No answer to your question on alarms and DND, I have no idea.

DagazArcane

Hi

You can run LibreLink and diabox on an android phone at the same time.

You just need to remove location permissions from LibreLink.

I use both so that doctor has libre and diabox for me as a cgm.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Thanks for your reply!

I tried your suggestion and I didn't get a warning the alarms weren't on, but my regular phone alarms didn't go off. seems I can't win lol I belive I need to use the librelink app as I get my sensors through the NHS so i had to agree to them having access to the data.

Hi,

After years of self funding. I was granted NHS funding earlier this year..
I use Diabox with the L2's BT as a CGM set up on my phone with alarms & scan for nurse's benefit with the Librelink app.
Diabox is simple to use, has a "widget" for the home screen without opening the app it updates every 5 minutes.
There is also a notification readout on the lock screen too. So I have an at a glance reading. Including when driving & the phone is cradled..
Then I use a separate Bluetooth "bridge" over the sensor to send readings to a stand alone smart watch running a stripped down version of Xdrip too.

The Diabox app maybe a simple work around in airplane mode with BT switched on? Lol, I customised the alarm on mine.

You shouldn't get disturbed from any other chatter or social media alerts other than if your Libre lets you know something is "afoot.." Your phone will be on, but not connected to your network or sevice provider.

Reactions: Cornelio

Whippet16

Hi,

After years of self funding. I was granted NHS funding earlier this year..
I use Diabox with the L2's BT as a CGM set up on my phone with alarms & scan for nurse's benefit with the Librelink app.
Diabox is simple to use, has a "widget" for the home screen without opening the app it updates every 5 minutes.
There is also a notification readout on the lock screen too. So I have an at a glance reading. Including when driving & the phone is cradled..
Then I use a separate Bluetooth "bridge" over the sensor to send readings to a stand alone smart watch running a stripped down version of Xdrip too.

The Diabox app maybe a simple work around in airplane mode with BT switched on? Lol, I customised the alarm on mine.

You shouldn't get disturbed from any other chatter or social media alerts other than if your Libre lets you know something is "afoot.." Your phone will be on, but not connected to your network or sevice provider.

Which smart watch did you go with? X

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which smart watch did you go with? X

When I was using the Libre 1s I got a Wattla one. Using a Miaomiao 2 as a bridge?
The Libre 2's new algorithm presented some issues? Lol, Abbott don't like these "geeks" jail braking thier systems.

I use a Bublan Bubble mini with an updated firmware on the Watlaa one watch with the Libre 2.
The watch is just a basic timepiece with the capability to collect BG data from the Libre & show my BG at the tap of the screen? The battery? I can squeeze 4 days out of the watch before fully charging just over an hour. It will also vibrate alarms. At night on a solid surface (small bedside table thing.) the vibration is enough to wake me.
Lol, when I charge it at my computor desk, I can hear it rattling all over the house that the bridge signal is lost?
Then it picks up the signal as I approach.

KidDougi

The latest Apple IOS has a ‘focus’ option tied into its do-not-disturb feature. It allows you to choose the apps and people who are allowed to disturb you. I haven’t used it with the Libre 2 as I don’t use the alert feature. But may be worth a visit to a local Apple store. Obviously they will try to tell you that it will do everything you want it to do but get them to demo the feature then do some further research to confirm it.
I’ll try and fire it up for a couple of days and see if it works for me.

Looks like it works. I could only set it for the standard Libre notifications that remind me to take a reading, and it worked.

Under the “focus “ option, in settings, it lists “do not disturb “, within that option you can select the apps and peoples who can override the do not disturb.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Microbe99

Hi I've been looking at the android play store for Diabox app and all I get is a weather app!

Is it available elsewhere?

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not on play store, you have to sideload it from the developer's site. Somewhere on bubblan.org if you have a look.

HTH

Reactions: Microbe99

Stewie_60

Hi. Basically you need to accept that Alarms don't work with Libre 2 when your phone is set to DND. I use a Samsung Galaxy S9. Your dietician is typical of the bunch who think you need carbs with every meal otherwise your brain will die! You don't need carbs with every meal but having 150gm/day is not a bad target; less is fine as long as you adjust the Bolus to suit. More is also fine but watch your weight. Most of us find our Bolus ratio changes during the day so be prepared for that and use a ratio based on your experience.

Goodness, hopeless out of date NHS dietary advice.
The lower your carbohydrate intake and fewer the calories the better, the less insulin you will need and the better your control will be.
Giving up bread etc will be your biggest achievement.
My 1ac is ~6.8, no more than 1500kCal, 22 units of humalog, on a somewhat Atkins style menu high on the veg and salads.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What did you have to fund (in the UK?) ?

In my case..?
It helped that I worked in an industry where “bloodletting” for meter testing is inappropriate?
In my case at the time, I was up to my elbows in chicken carcasses on an egg farm?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The lower your carbohydrate intake and fewer the calories the better, the less insulin you will need and the better your control will be.
Not for everyone. Some T1's do very well on higher carb diets (although I'm not one of them), and cutting calories is not necessary for glucose management at all. Cutting them as much as possible sounds pretty dangerous too, it's a well known eating disorder.
What did you have to fund (in the UK?) ?
The Freestyle libre.

Microbe99

I use nhs funded libre 2 and scan it 8 or more times a day for the diabetes service to track my numbers.
I also run diabox on my Galaxy S22 android phone which is linked to my Samsung watch 4 via gwatch app to give me glucose level and trend arrow updated every 5 minutes on my wrist (as long as my phone is in Bluetooth range)
The alarms don't function via librelink. I have set selected alarms in diabox to sound at a level which wakes me but doesn't disturb my wife.
At night I set Do not disturb on the phone and I still get the diabox alarms but nothing else.
Hth