Freestyle libre 2 pros and cons

Bw2534

Hey guys I’m 20 years old and suffering from non diabetic hypos, after doing some research and stuff last night I found out I can get a 14 day free trial of the libre 2 thanks to Abbot and I was just wondering before I try it are there any pros and cons I should know about?

I’m also worried about my family’s reaction as they don’t acknowledge the hypos and I had to hide the glucometer so I’m not sure how to go about it.

I definitely think it will help me deal with my random hypos and I’m 20 years old and training to get on a Paralympic pathway, I’ve had to stop training through fear of hypos now.

Any help or support would be great

Reactions: Antje77

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great idea.
If you use the Search function (top right), you will find discussions about the Libre.
Good luck getting back on the Paralympic Pathway.

Reactions: EllieM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just wondering before I try it are there any pros and cons I should know about?
The first thing which comes to mind is that while Libre is very accurate for some, it can be off for others, especially in the low range. Which can be a real issue in your case.
I've been using the Libre for over 4 years, and for me they always read lower than a finger prick by 0.8 to 2.0 mmol/l, which in your case would mean it would show you as hypo almost all the time.

Mind, for others it reads spot on, but I wouldn't draw conclusions from the sensor without doing a lot of finger prick testing alongside to make sure the reported hypo's are actually hypo's.

Also, many of us find it's off in the first 24 hours.

It's an amazing tool for trends and patterns, and I hope it will provide you some insights, just don't trust the absolute numbers without double checking!

Bw2534

The first thing which comes to mind is that while Libre is very accurate for some, it can be off for others, especially in the low range. Which can be a real issue in your case.
I've been using the Libre for over 4 years, and for me they always read lower than a finger prick by 0.8 to 2.0 mmol/l, which in your case would mean it would show you as hypo almost all the time.

Mind, for others it reads spot on, but I wouldn't draw conclusions from the sensor without doing a lot of finger prick testing alongside to make sure the reported hypo's are actually hypo's.

Also, many of us find it's off in the first 24 hours.

It's an amazing tool for trends and patterns, and I hope it will provide you some insights, just don't trust the absolute numbers without double checking!

Thankyou this is good to know, I don’t mind backing up with the occasional test.
In my case it will probably be handy to see the trends and overnight activity as I often wake up groggy and wonder if I’ve gone low in the night.

I’ve seen some people put it on but not activate it for 24 hours to let it settle does this improve accuracy and would I then have 13 days rather than 14?

Sorry for all the questions by the way.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve seen some people put it on but not activate it for 24 hours to let it settle does this improve accuracy and would I then have 13 days rather than 14?
I do this, and it helps. And the countdown only starts after activating it so you'll still have the 14 days. :)
In my case it will probably be handy to see the trends and overnight activity as I often wake up groggy and wonder if I’ve gone low in the night.
Sounds good to me!

Bw2534

I do this, and it helps. And the countdown only starts after activating it so you'll still have the 14 days. :)

Sounds good to me!

That’s so good I’ll definitely do this when I get it then especially as I still get the 14 days!

Hopefully it proves beneficial to me like it is for most people

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Take care with this - sensors can experience compression lows which result in false low reading when you lie on them in your sleep.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys I’m 20 years old and suffering from non diabetic hypos, after doing some research and stuff last night I found out I can get a 14 day free trial of the libre 2 thanks to Abbot and I was just wondering before I try it are there any pros and cons I should know about?

I’m also worried about my family’s reaction as they don’t acknowledge the hypos and I had to hide the glucometer so I’m not sure how to go about it.

I definitely think it will help me deal with my random hypos and I’m 20 years old and training to get on a Paralympic pathway, I’ve had to stop training through fear of hypos now.

Any help or support would be great
I am using the free trial at the minute. They do ask if you're a diagnosed diabetic before they allow you to have one, so you'll need to think about that.

It has not been plain sailing and I'm on my third sensor. The first one simply didn't function at all. Abbott replaced it. The second worked fine for a few days and chimed with my blood readings - then it decided I was permanently having a hypo - reading went into low threes and even twos. That lasted a day or two then it too failed. Also replaced. The third one has worked for ten days now but is reading persistently higher than my fingerprick - anything up to 1.5 higher - so fingerprick says 5.0, Libre says 6.5. It seems to be recording changes as it should, just consistently high.

It is a great idea and if it worked as it's supposed to it would be superb. Based on my experience, I couldn't recommend anyone spending money on it. I do know many people have used them with no problem - I'm just not one of them.

Bw2534

I am using the free trial at the minute. They do ask if you're a diagnosed diabetic before they allow you to have one, so you'll need to think about that.

It has not been plain sailing and I'm on my third sensor. The first one simply didn't function at all. Abbott replaced it. The second worked fine for a few days and chimed with my blood readings - then it decided I was permanently having a hypo - reading went into low threes and even twos. That lasted a day or two then it too failed. Also replaced. The third one has worked for ten days now but is reading persistently higher than my fingerprick - anything up to 1.5 higher - so fingerprick says 5.0, Libre says 6.5. It seems to be recording changes as it should, just consistently high.

It is a great idea and if it worked as it's supposed to it would be superb. Based on my experience, I couldn't recommend anyone spending money on it. I do know many people have used them with no problem - I'm just not one of them.

I have been approved for the free trial and ordered it, there definitely seems to be mixed reviews about it to be honest which isn’t really filling me with confidence haha.

I’m hoping that I’ll be one of the lucky ones to be honest

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Irrespective of the realiability or otherwise of the actual units, the resulting data can be a good thing in the right hands, ot it can cause extra anxiety or eating problems in anyone with a tendency towards an eating disorder.
There are so many variables that affect bg - sleep or lack of it, exercise and intensity of exercise, medication, illness - the list goes on, yet some people, and we've had several find their way here, seem to are the data far too literally and get themselves caught in a cycle of excessive control.
Libre, and finger pricks, are only one tool and only one part of diabetes management.
Just make sure you manage it, and don't let it manage you. If people who love you are already worried about your use of a glucometer, libre may not be the right tool for you.

Bw2534

Irrespective of the realiability or otherwise of the actual units, the resulting data can be a good thing in the right hands, ot it can cause extra anxiety or eating problems in anyone with a tendency towards an eating disorder.
There are so many variables that affect bg - sleep or lack of it, exercise and intensity of exercise, medication, illness - the list goes on, yet some people, and we've had several find their way here, seem to are the data far too literally and get themselves caught in a cycle of excessive control.
Libre, and finger pricks, are only one tool and only one part of diabetes management.
Just make sure you manage it, and don't let it manage you. If people who love you are already worried about your use of a glucometer, libre may not be the right tool for you.

Thanks for this, my family aren’t really the sympathetic type I think rather than it being an issue with me it’s more of a lack of understanding.

My situation is slightly unique in that obviously I’m not diabetic so I think that in itself makes people more confused as to why I’m having hypos when my diet is ok and there’s no real reason for them.

I’m hoping the libre may uncover some patterns and give me extra data to give to my GP to try and get to the bottom of these episodes.

I’m trying not to let it control me but I think when you’re symptomatic and people around me have mentioned it but I’m not really being listened to by doctors I’ve had to take matters into my own hands to almost prove myself.

It’s just all new in regards to symptoms and now hypos and hard when I don’t have anyone who really understands.

Mungobean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I agree. I have managed to eke out a trial of 5 sensors to last 4 months, with almost every single sensor having been replaced at some point. Sometimes the readings are very close, yet at other times way out, but at least it gives me a good indication. I was trying to decide whether or not I felt it worth self funding, given the issues I’ve had, but have luckily had them prescribed now.

Braye

They would not let me have the free trial.

Braye

I am type 2 and not on insulin and you could say I am pretty well controlled now. I may even be able to go off metformin if I pushed it. I stay between 70 and 140 and even a lot of 60's through 120.

Braye

I am type 2 and not on insulin and you could say I am pretty well controlled now. I may even be able to go off metformin if I pushed it. I stay between 70 and 140 and even a lot of 60's through 120.
Although I did not say that to them. It was I guess because I am not on insulin for the most part.