Freestyle Libre 2 Reader - Does it work?

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

Following two updates that Abbott made to its Librelink app in November and December 2022 I don't receive low or high alarms on my Android mobile phone. So I ordered and Abbott delivered a brand new Libre 2 Reader.

I set up the Libre 2 Reader in accordance with the Reader's instruction manual. I have the signal loss alarm on (I know I can turn it off). I also have the low and high glucose alarms on and set to my preferred settings to warn me my glucose is going low or high.

I put on a new Libre 2 sensor a few hours ago and started the sensor with the Libre 2 Reader.

After the one hour warm up I've lost count of the number of notifications I've received over the last few hours from the Libre 2 Reader that there is "signal loss" between the Libre 2 Reader and the new Libre 2 sensor. This is despite the fact that the Libre 2 Reader has never been more than an arms length away at all times from the new Libre 2 sensor I started this afternoon.

I know I can turn the signal loss alarm off on the Libre 2 Reader and will probably do so.

I spoke with Abbott Customer Services this afternoon, just before they closed. I told them I was getting constant signal loss alarms, that there was a symbol in the top right hand corner of the Libre 2 Reader which according to the Libre 2 instruction booklet that comes with the Reader means "sensor not communicating with reader."

After taking the serial number of my Libre 2 Reader, the serial number of my newly applied and started Libre 2 sensor, getting me to press and hold the "on/off" button of the Libre 2 Reader for 30 seconds (doing so changed nothing), and confirming to customer that I could still scan the Libre 2 sensor on my arm with the Libre 2 Reader, the Abbott customer services person I spoke to told me to contact them again if I didn't receive a high or low glucose alarm.

A scan with the Libre 2 Reader (and Librelink on my mobile) shows that I am currently 13.4. That number is well above the high glucose alarm I have pre-set in settings of the Libre 2 Reader.

Yet, the Libre 2 Reader didn't alarm when it reached my pre-set high glucose limit! I now assume it won't alarm if my glucose reaches my pre-set low limit either.

Why didn't this new Libre 2 Reader alarm?

Is the new sensor (which I can scan and will give a glucose reading if I do so) faulty?

Is my new Libre 2 Reader faulty?

Should I expect the same issues with this new Libre 2 Reader that I'm having with the Librelink app at the moment on my mobile phone?

DiabeticDean

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My health
I think they have a problem! I have the app on my phone with the same "Signal lost issue". I re-installed the app several times with no change. But when I turn off signal lost alarm I don't get any alarms (High or low) so its completely useless. 5 sensors in a row now. Tech support is no help. I think if everyone starts writing, calling and emailing freestyle and complaining, only then will this issue be addressed. I have been using them for several years and never had a problem, I suspect they have been out sourced and quality has diminished

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they have a problem! I have the app on my phone with the same "Signal lost issue". I re-installed the app several times with no change. But when I turn off signal lost alarm I don't get any alarms (High or low) so its completely useless. 5 sensors in a row now. Tech support is no help. I think if everyone starts writing, calling and emailing freestyle and complaining, only then will this issue be addressed. I have been using them for several years and never had a problem, I suspect they have been out sourced and quality has diminished
Sorry to hear about the problems you are having.

If you live in the UK and you believe the problems you are having may have caused you to delay diagnosing or treating low or high blood glucose, please consider filing a Yellow Card incident with the UK medical devices regulator the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency ("MHRA").

There has been no official news about when Abbott will fix finally the problems with Librelink or the significant increased incidence of faulty sensors. The MHRA may put official pressure on Abbott to do so if enough UK Libre users report to the MHRA the issues they are having.

Thriving2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Using Libre 2 in US with Samsung Galaxy A31 Android Version 12. I have signal loss error on the last three sensors. Have to scan the sensor 10 to 12 times before can get a single reading. Cannot safely wait for 10 minutes and scan again when low sugar alarms are going at 70, 65 and 60. When use Contour Next glucometer, it often shows @85 against Libre 2's 65. Meaning no glucose tabs or juice was needed.

Has anyone successfully used Libre 2 Reader instead of the phone app and received readings without having to scan repeatedly? I am considering using reader so don't have to scan multiple times. Had used original Libre without scanning problems 4.5 years ago. Does the current Libre 2 scan reliably?

True, Libre sends replacements after you answer questions for 30 to 55 minutes and documenting that you did not lose consciousness or require medical treatment to cover themselves. But every time I puncture my arm, there is irritation and inflammation.

DiabeticDean

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My health
Sorry to hear about the problems you are having.

If you live in the UK and you believe the problems you are having may have caused you to delay diagnosing or treating low or high blood glucose, please consider filing a Yellow Card incident with the UK medical devices regulator the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency ("MHRA").

There has been no official news about when Abbott will fix finally the problems with Librelink or the significant increased incidence of faulty sensors. The MHRA may put official pressure on Abbott to do so if enough UK Libre users report to the MHRA the issues they are having.
Thanks, but no I am in British Columbia Canada, I will see if there is something similar here! I have to shut it off at night or no sleep, otherwise signal loss alarm at random times. I have shut off the signall loss function and it still alarms. I am wondering if it is the app program. But then you have the actual libre reader so I don't know now! As this problem was surfacing ios users were claiming to have no problems but now I see they are. I am going to start contacting freestyle this system costs way too much for it to not work.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Using Libre 2 in US with Samsung Galaxy A31 Android Version 12. I have signal loss error on the last three sensors. Have to scan the sensor 10 to 12 times before can get a single reading. Cannot safely wait for 10 minutes and scan again when low sugar alarms are going at 70, 65 and 60. When use Contour Next glucometer, it often shows @85 against Libre 2's 65. Meaning no glucose tabs or juice was needed.
Hi,

Though it is wise to check errant Libre readings against a meter.
I use a 3rd party app for the CGM experience with the libre 2. This happened to me.
From my personal experience pending on which finger I test there can be a lag behind the Libre’s seemingly predictive algorithm?
(By about 15 minutes.) Meter testing & hypos are another subject which has been covered on other topics years ago.. (in short some folk don’t leave enough time between tests? & end up over treating the low..
Now, I’m fully hypo aware. The first couple of times the low alarm on the app kicked off I was at work. I felt fine & thought, “am I hell…?!!!” Ten minutes or so later. I felt “it.”

I’m not suggesting your Libre was correct. But. Since you acted on a hypo indicated . You may well have headed one off at “the pass?”

This is going on my own experience with my bespoke use of the sensor..

The librelink app itself for me on a Galaxy Note 9 can tell me to scan in 10 minutes. But it’s actually scanned 80% of the time the notification shows?

Last edited:

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, but no I am in British Columbia Canada, I will see if there is something similar here! I have to shut it off at night or no sleep, otherwise signal loss alarm at random times. I have shut off the signall loss function and it still alarms. I am wondering if it is the app program. But then you have the actual libre reader so I don't know now! As this problem was surfacing ios users were claiming to have no problems but now I see they are. I am going to start contacting freestyle this system costs way too much for it to not work.
@DiabeticDean I believe that in Canada the appropriate regulator for medical devices is called the Medical Devices Directorate.

• Informative
Reactions: Melgar

DiabeticDean

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My health

Has anyone successfully used Libre 2 Reader instead of the phone app and received readings without having to scan repeatedly? I am considering using reader so don't have to scan multiple times. Had used original Libre without scanning problems 4.5 years ago. Does the current Libre 2 scan reliably?

True, Libre sends replacements after you answer questions for 30 to 55 minutes and documenting that you did not lose consciousness or require medical treatment to cover themselves. But every time I puncture my arm, there is irritation and inflammation.
Badabing in this thread ordered a reader and its not working either. They have a major problem

DiabeticDean

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My health
Just put another one on and it never started up so put another one on and it didnt start up now Im on my 3rd waiting to see if it will start. At a 100 bucks each this is starting to make me angy. I am type 3c I NEED these to survive. I think Im going to have to switch to dexcom

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Badabing in this thread ordered a reader and its not working either. They have a major problem
I have posted on loss of libre 2 alarms an email received from Abbott Diabetes Care . At last they are addressing the problem.
I live in the UK
All the best

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

Mary Dummar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes they work and I love eathe heck out of mine I can use it 30—40 times a day If I want Stay in touch with Abbott and The address your problem. I've had the tear mine off after 2 days for a 14 day sensor and they sent me a replacement for free When I had to remove it for a medical test MRI s and cat scans Dont know what other things might mean need to remove for

DiabeticDean

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My health
I have posted on loss of libre 2 alarms an email received from Abbott Diabetes Care . At last they are addressing the problem.
I live in the UK
All the best
Have they given you a solution, I got an email today
from abbott saying they have a problem with Android 13 (which is what I have) but havent offered a solution

Reactions: plantae

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have they given you a solution, I got an email today
from abbott saying they have a problem with Android 13 (which is what I have) but havent offered a solution
No solution as regards using the app
I did ask if I started a new sensor with the app and the alarms still didn't work would Abbott replace sensor- NO
I'm using reader (sent by Abbott) instead for alarms and app on phone for readings til I hear alarm issue fixed as regards to android operating system 13
It's crazy having to upload data from reader to Libreview so that you get the 'full' picture
All the best

Last edited:

DiabeticDean

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My health
That sucks, I don't Believe its the app, I think its the fact they have probably outsourced mfg and there is a quality control issue, But if they blame the phones and apps they dont have to honour warranty, I am going to send 20 back and maybe switch to dexcom. Its about a hundred dollars
more a month for me

Reactions: Optium

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got an email regarding Android 13 and problems with the app as well, so I'm using the reader this month instead of my phone. I had my "usual" 3 AM hypo last night and the alarm didn't go off. Either that or I somehow slept through it. The other potential reason I can think of is that my alarm is set quite high (4.3). The alarm did go off at about midnight but it looks like, apart from 3AM low which I missed, I was 4.1-4.2 all night and so the alarm didn't go off again because BSL hadn't risen above the 4.3 threshold??? Is that how it works? I dunno. I might try and do some testing today

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
but it looks like, apart from 3AM low which I missed, I was 4.1-4.2 all night and so the alarm didn't go off again because BSL hadn't risen above the 4.3 threshold??? Is that how it works? I dunno. I might try and do some testing today
That's correct, the official Libre app doesn't repeat unless you've gone above the alarm threshold again first.

I use DiaBox, which keeps repeating every few minutes intil you tell it to shut up, and you can choose for how long you want it to keep silent.
It also has 4 alarms, the normal high and low and then extreme high and low (you can choose the settings for those too).
my alarm is set quite high (4.3).
That is not a high setting for the alarm.
Many people have it set at 5 or even 5.5 to make sure they can prevent a hypo instead of treating.
Don't forget that your interstitial fluid is a bit behind blood, so having your alarm this close to hypo levels means you can easily drop much lower before Libre notices.
If you're aiming at a bit of a higher range it only makes sense to eat a little something when dropping below 5.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's correct, the official Libre app doesn't repeat unless you've gone above the alarm threshold again first.
Thanks for confirming. That saves me some experimentation :) So, in future before going to sleep I will make sure I get myself above the alarm threshold.

That is not a high setting for the alarm.
Many people have it set at 5 or even 5.5 to make sure they can prevent a hypo instead of treating.
Yeah "high" was probably the wrong word. My DN nurse set it to 5 and that was fine for the first few days out of hospital when I was running in the sixes and sevens. But then a couple of days ago my average BSLs dropped again and the alarm was sending me mental. So, perhaps unwisely, I put it down to 4.3 to stop so many alarms. Today I'm increasing my carbs but I also need to find a snack that lasts more than an hour. Typically to treat hypo I have juice or jelly beans (I have tubes of glucose as well but save them unless I'm in the low 3s) until I'm above 5 and then eat some ryvita biscuits. I don't think the ryvita last long enough so will browse the supermarket today to see what other options are available. I'm also pondering that when I treat a hypo I should aim for 7 or something not 5, but I don't know if this is something that's allowed to be discussed here. Will ask nurse.

Don't forget that your interstitial fluid is a bit behind blood, so having your alarm this close to hypo levels means you can easily drop much lower before Libre notices.
If you're aiming at a bit of a higher range it only makes sense to eat a little something when dropping below 5.
Alarm set back to 5 now. I'll have to eat to get above the threshold and take it from there. Thanks!
Edit: setting to 5.5. I want to be higher for the meantime
Edit 2: this is a lot harder than I first imagined, and I imagined it'd be hard. So much to learn. Thank goodness for these forums

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I also need to find a snack that lasts more than an hour. Typically to treat hypo I have juice or jelly beans
Crisps work very well for me if I want to make sure to nudge my bg up for many hours rather than treat a hypo. Carbs plus fats.
A hypo of course needs to be treated like you do, quick acting sugar like juice/jelly beans.