Freestyle Libre 2 - Removal of sticky residue from the arm.

JurassicMark

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using the Freestyle Libre 2 for about 18 months without any major problems but I'm wondering if there's a better way to remove the sticky residue from the underside of my arm after removing the device. I currently pick some of it off using my fingernails and try to remove the rest using a flannel soaked in warm water and normal soap. It requires some forceful rubbing and the residue eventually comes off but it leaves the arm feeling a bit sore and tender.

I've been looking at solutions, wipes, etc. that will make this task easier but before making a purchase, I'd like to ask other members of this forum if they have any good ideas.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I find after I've pulled off the sensor I just have a shower with soap and water and the job is done .

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have the same problem and I just use soap and water and a wet cloth and it comes off but it normally finds the hole that is left by the sensor and the other bits that it has taken with it but I know what you mean by the sourness afterwards but I normally rinse it back under the tap and it's gone and then I pat it dry and check that all the residue is off and it is but I have also used a alcohol wipe and that does the trick as well as it's moist enough and I just all it to dry normally to air but it does sting at the small hole where the sender has been

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Pelican spray, because I use Skin tac before applying any sensor.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too am a soap and water gal but I have read that baby oil will remove it.
I think I have some Zoff in my D-drawer but it has never been used (or needed)

HairySmurf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Isopropanol (AKA isopropyl alcohol AKA rubbing alcohol) will remove the adhesive. It's the same stuff that is on the sterile wipes that used to come with the Libres - good for disinfecting and removing oils from the skin before applying the sensor (let it dry thoroughly) and also for cleaning the adhesive after removing the sensor. Use a little soaked into cotton wool or a piece of kitchen paper. Cheap to buy if you can find a chemist that has it on stock - a half pint or so sized bottle lasts ages and ages.

JurassicMark

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the replies.

I've tried showering after removing the sensor but most of the residue remained. I bought some rubbing alcohol from Amazon to clean the heads on my Blu-ray player so I'll try that next time I change my sensor. That will be in just under 2 weeks so I'll let you know how I get on.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all the replies.

I've tried showering after removing the sensor but most of the residue remained. I bought some rubbing alcohol from Amazon to clean the heads on my Blu-ray player so I'll try that next time I change my sensor. That will be in just under 2 weeks so I'll let you know how I get on.
Careful with using fluids that are not designed for human use as they can burn.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
oils tend to deal with sticky residues - I read that when some horror duct taped the muzzle of a dog that cooking oil removed it - a dog would go mad if any sort of volatile solvent was put near its nose.

HairySmurf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the advice.

Everything I've read so far says that 99% pure isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is safe to use on the skin.
It's safe to use occasionally and in small amounts. It's the same stuff that is used to sterilise the skin before an injection for example. It's a solvent of a kind that can cause intoxication - try not to inhale the fumes as it's equivalent to sniffing glue - the fumes are toxic in large amounts. For your purposes though it should be fine.

Incidentally it dissolves most adhesives and removes permanent maker. Very useful stuff.

JurassicMark

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update.

I've just replaced my sensor and the isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) worked very well. I applied the solution using a cotton wool ball and it took 20-30 seconds of gentle rubbing before all the sticky residue was completely gone.

Thank you @HairySmurf for the recommendation and I appreciate all the other advice/responses.