Freestyle Libre 3 on android watch?

TimLibre

Dear fellow members,

I finally managed to order some freestyle libre 3 sensors, living in the Netherlands were for some strange reason it is not for public sale yet, but only on prescription.
But I got them!

Now my problem is that i have 2 iphones, (1 privat 1 work), and abbot has geo-blocked its apple app for freestyle libre 3, so i cannot install it on my iphone.

I also dont like to buy a third phone. So my question, is there a FL android app available for a google or android-based smartwatch that i could use? Any suggestions (im a reall android noob btw)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

To:the best of my knowledge, Android watches synch with android devices.. (phones.)

Now i do have a Watlaa stand alone watch. But I use this with the L2 & a Bluetooth bridge to communicate as a CGM..

The only sensible workaround I can think of is a compatible phone from in a region like Germany? Maybe a “pre loved” device on a budget? (I’m in the UK no L3 to date is not happening. & historically, Germany seems the first to get the new incarnation of the Libre. First?) then download the app whilst in the region? Or just try downloading the app across the border on your own device?

I’ll tag in @Antje77 who is a fellow country person to you. But like me. I know still uses the L2.

Reactions: TimLibre

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ll tag in @Antje77 who is a fellow country person to you. But like me. I know still uses the L2.
I can't be of help here, as I'm not eligible for the Libre 3 in the Netherlands. (And to be frank, I'm not looking forward to the 2 being replaced by the 3 here because I use DiaBox and I don't think they've got it to work yet with the 3.)
I also dont like to buy a third phone. So my question, is there a FL android app available for a google or android-based smartwatch that i could use? Any suggestions (im a reall android noob btw)
Apart from the Watlaa Jaylee mentioned, I don't think there are stand alone watches for the Libre. And don't get your hopes up too high on the Watlaa, a quick Google search doesn't come up with results on the Libre 3.

@TimLibre , I do expect the Libre 3 will work with any ancient Samsung one of your friends has laying about, forgotten in the bottom of a drawer. I've used the Libre 1 and 2 with phones as simple as a Samsung S3 mini. Which still means you'll need to carry around 3 phones but at least you won't have to spend (a lot ) of money on the extra phone.

Reactions: TimLibre

TimLibre

I just checked the compatible devices on the Libre 3 website. It says the Galaxy watch 4 is compatible with libre 3, but not as a stand alone device, so you also need an android phone in order to get the watch working. Thats a pity. I’ll call abbott maybe to see when they plan to unblock the libre 3 app in the Netherlands.

Other option would be to change country settings on my iphone to German, but would need to give s german pay method then (maybe oaypal would do).

Any orher workarounds still welcome of course:)

• Optimistic
Reactions: Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just checked the compatible devices on the Libre 3 website. It says the Galaxy watch 4 is compatible with libre 3, but not as a stand alone device, so you also need an android phone in order to get the watch working. Thats a pity. I’ll call abbott maybe to see when they plan to unblock the libre 3 app in the Netherlands.

Other option would be to change country settings on my iphone to German, but would need to give s german pay method then (maybe oaypal would do).

Any orher workarounds still welcome of course:)
Well? I always love a challenge.. & any challenge that is fixed without too much expense is a winner.
The only thing I think you could try.. Is switch off your native network & try uploading the app in Germany? (Wi-Fi.)

Ironically, the last time I looked. The app was available for my device for the L3? But the actual sensor is not here yet. Just looked again I’m in the UK & there is a an L3 app for Android.. Abbott realy don’t have a clue. Love the sensors though.

TimLibre

Its also really ignorant of Abbot that they have the sensors running on bluetooth technology but that they refuse to make a simple app for smartwatches in order to get readings. And that they even geo-block existing and working smartphone-apps for some countries. Im not sure geo blocking is even allowed anymore under EU legislation.

I can also not think of any reasons for this as abbot also does not sell any reading devices for the Libre 3.

Reactions: Stephen Bond

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its also really ignorant of Abbot that they have the sensors running on bluetooth technology but that they refuse to make a simple app for smartwatches in order to get readings. And that they even geo-block existing and working smartphone-apps for some countries. Im not sure geo blocking is even allowed anymore under EU legislation.

I can also not think of any reasons for this as abbot also does not sell any reading devices for the Libre 3.
It’s a little like the regional coding of DVD players that only accepted discs from the same region? Buy a movie outside & import it.. I wouldn’t play?

It kind of odd, The app for my area can be downloaded on Android but the MKiii sensor is not widely available to even buy yet.?

I feel your frustration obtaining this tech then getting stumped on the last hurdle..

TimLibre

I could try, but I think Apple has quite strict criteria for region settings. Im not even convinced that if I now drive to Germany, whcih I could do easily, would allow me to download the German app, as long as the region settings of my Apple account are registered in another country.

On the other hand EU legislation imposed in 2018 states that:

Article 4

Access to goods or services

1. A trader shall not apply different general conditions of access to goods or services, for reasons related to a customer's nationality, place of residence or place of establishment, where the customer seeks to:

(a)buy goods from a trader and either those goods are delivered to a location in a Member State to which the trader offers delivery in the general conditions of access or those goods are collected at a location agreed upon between the trader and the customer in a Member State in which the trader offers such an option in the general conditions of access;
(b)receive electronically supplied services from the trader, other than services the main feature of which is the provision of access to and use of copyright protected works or other protected subject matter, including the selling of copyright protected works or protected subject matter in an intangible form;
(c)receive services from a trader, other than electronically supplied services, in a physical location within the territory of a Member State where the trader operates.
2. The prohibition set out in paragraph 1 shall not prevent traders from offering general conditions of access, including net sale prices, which differ between Member States or within a Member State and which are offered to customers on a specific territory or to specific groups of customers on a non-discriminatory basis.

3. Mere compliance with the prohibition set out in paragraph 1 does not, in itself, mean that a trader is under an obligation to comply with non-contractual national legal requirements relating to the respective goods and services of the Member State of the customer or to inform customers about those requirements.

4. The prohibition set out in point (b) of paragraph 1 shall not apply to traders that are exempted from VAT on the basis of the provisions of Chapter 1 of Title XII of Directive 2006/112/EC.

5. The prohibition set out in paragraph 1 shall not apply in so far as a specific provision laid down in Union law, or in the laws of Member States in accordance with Union law, prevents the trader from selling the goods or providing the services to certain customers or to customers in certain territories.

With respect to the sale of books, the prohibition set out in paragraph 1 shall not prevent traders from applying different prices to customers in certain territories in so far as they are required to do so under the laws of Member States in accordance with Union law.
—-

So i’m not sure it is legally right that the app is blocked for just some countries. Although there could be a hidden derogation in the law somewhere for medical devices. Or the app could be exempted from VAT as specified in paragraph 4, and thereby it would be justified to geo-block or something. However, it’s still stupid to exclude some countries from downloading the app, and even from ordering the freestyle libre 3.

Last edited:

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I could try, but I think Apple has quite strict criteria for region settings. Im not even convinced that if I now drive to Germany, whcih I could do easily, would allow me to download the German app, as long as the region settings of my Apple account are registered in another country.

Article 4

1. A trader shall not apply different general conditions of access to goods or services, for reasons related to a customer's nationality, place of residence or place of establishment, where the customer seeks to:

(a)buy goods from a trader and either those goods are delivered to a location in a Member State to which the trader offers delivery in the general conditions of access or those goods are collected at a location agreed upon between the trader and the customer in a Member State in which the trader offers such an option in the general conditions of access;
(b)receive electronically supplied services from the trader, other than services the main feature of which is the provision of access to and use of copyright protected works or other protected subject matter, including the selling of copyright protected works or protected subject matter in an intangible form;
(c)receive services from a trader, other than electronically supplied services, in a physical location within the territory of a Member State where the trader operates.
2. The prohibition set out in paragraph 1 shall not prevent traders from offering general conditions of access, including net sale prices, which differ between Member States or within a Member State and which are offered to customers on a specific territory or to specific groups of customers on a non-discriminatory basis.

3. Mere compliance with the prohibition set out in paragraph 1 does not, in itself, mean that a trader is under an obligation to comply with non-contractual national legal requirements relating to the respective goods and services of the Member State of the customer or to inform customers about those requirements.

4. The prohibition set out in point (b) of paragraph 1 shall not apply to traders that are exempted from VAT on the basis of the provisions of Chapter 1 of Title XII of Directive 2006/112/EC.

5. The prohibition set out in paragraph 1 shall not apply in so far as a specific provision laid down in Union law, or in the laws of Member States in accordance with Union law, prevents the trader from selling the goods or providing the services to certain customers or to customers in certain territories.

With respect to the sale of books, the prohibition set out in paragraph 1 shall not prevent traders from applying different prices to customers in certain territories in so far as they are required to do so under the laws of Member States in accordance with Union law.
—-

So i’m not sure it is legally right that the app is blocked for just some countries. Although there could be a hidden derogation in the law somewhere for medical devices. Or the app could be exempted from VAT as specified in paragraph 4, and thereby it would be justified to geo-block or something. However, it’s still stupid to exclude some countries from downloading the app, and even from ordering the freestyle libre 3.
The 2018 EU geoblocking directive you mention, which generally bans the practice of geoblocking between EU member countries, has a number of exceptions.

Usually there are policy, political, economic and/or social reasons why such exceptions are put in the legislation.

For example, the directive allows geoblocking between EU member countries in the provision of "audio-visual and streaming services." The reason for this exception is to maximise revenue for whomever owns copyright in the audio-visual and streamed content.

There is also an exception for financial services. Again, the reasoning for the exception may be governments of individual EU member countries may not wish their citizens to be exposed to the financial risk of particular financial services being offered in other EU states.

The directive also allows "healthcare services" to be geoblocked between EU member countries. I understand that it has always been the case that - notwithstanding that the European Medicines Agency licences all drugs and medical devices as fit for purpose and safe to use throughout the EU - individual EU member states are entitled to make individual decisions about healthcare policy, healthcare services provided to their citizens, etc in their own countries on the grounds of health and safety, hence the likely reason for this exception.

The "healthcare" exception in the geoblocking directive is most likely the exemption Abbott et al will be relying on as glucose monitors are healthcare products.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Jaylee and TimLibre

TimLibre

Thanks David, it has to be noticed the FL3 ís already licensed in the Netherlands, and the Android app is available. So it would be interesting to check the exact wording of the exemption. Probably Abbott knows what they are doing legally, but still I dont see any real justified reason for this geo block. Lets hope the apple app will be available soon..as well as a dedicsted smartwatch app.

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks David, it has to be noticed the FL3 ís already licensed in the Netherlands, and the Android app is available. So it would be interesting to check the exact wording of the exemption. Probably Abbott knows what they are doing legally, but still I dont see any real justified reason for this geo block. Lets hope the apple app will be available soon..as well as a dedicsted smartwatch app.

Pleasure.

Yes, the way the Freestyle Libre 3 app has become available across Europe is very strange indeed. The Libre 3 was first launched in Germany I think, and there I understand it was only available initially on iPhone but not Android.

In the UK the Libre 3 app is available only on Android at the moment and Abbott are working apparently to have it available on iPhone "soon."

I would have thought it would be a relatively straightforward process to make the app available in multiple countries if it is already working on iPhone in Germany and Android in the UK.

But apparently not. Though my understanding of programming is too limited to understand the challenges involved in getting an app working in 24 official EU languages.

I've never understood properly the process app developers have to go through to get their apps in the Apple and Google Play stores.

Even once the app makes it into Apple's and Google's app stores, Abbott still has to test it on smartphones to check it will work. I hear that process is very time consuming and explains the (relatively) limited number of smartphones Abbott confirm publicly the Libre app works on.

There are a tiny number of smartwatches that Abbott confirm officially will pick up "mirror notifications" on a compatible smartwatch (without having to use unauthorised third party apps or devices) and only when the smartwatch is in close proximity to a compatible smartphone.

TimLibre

have been using the libre 3 for some days now. For fellow new users, please beware that:
- glucose alarms are turned off by default. Once you have installed the app and placed a sensor, you have to activate the alarms in the in app settings (its easily done but just beware that you have to do
It)
- in some cases i noticed my phone did not play any sound in case of high glucose alarm. I got a notification on my home screen, but no sound was played. SOLUTION: you have to allow critical notifications 3 times, namely seperately for high alarms, seperately for low alarms, and seperately in your overall iphone settings (choose libre apps permissions). Obviously i forgot to do it for the high alarms, fixed now.

Stephen Bond

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Bureaucracy. Poor quality. Boredom

Article 4

—-

Apple do so many weird things and despite their claims, are really not too friendly to their customers if it does not suit them/make them extra income. I use all platforms Apple, PC, Android, but use the Apple stuff the least. I am awaiting delivery of my Libre 3 and will let you know how i get on with loading it up on Android.

Stephen Bond

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Bureaucracy. Poor quality. Boredom
Libre 3 I Phone app now available here.
On a watch!!! It is bad enough on a big screen phone. The phone app is very difficult to see any changes accurately. You really need to be looking at it very regularly as reviewing is pretty inaccurate. But less holes in your fingers. It is tsrange.. They have done teh hard bit in designing and producing the sensors and then let themselves down on the simplest part which is the app.

barry26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

To:the best of my knowledge, Android watches synch with android devices.. (phones.)

Now i do have a Watlaa stand alone watch. But I use this with the L2 & a Bluetooth bridge to communicate as a CGM..

The only sensible workaround I can think of is a compatible phone from in a region like Germany? Maybe a “pre loved” device on a budget? (I’m in the UK no L3 to date is not happening. & historically, Germany seems the first to get the new incarnation of the Libre. First?) then download the app whilst in the region? Or just try downloading the app across the border on your own device?

barry26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Im hoping you may be able to guide me here with this same issue.
Currently i have Libre 2 and am trialling Libre 3, i use a Samsung Galaxy S21 phone and have a Samsung Watch 4 and 5 due to poor info given. I want to get the results from either Libre to either smartwatch, if you have managed it and it works successfully could you please send me some instructions so i can try and get this sorted

Many thanks

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
Hi,
Im hoping you may be able to guide me here with this same issue.
Currently i have Libre 2 and am trialling Libre 3, i use a Samsung Galaxy S21 phone and have a Samsung Watch 4 and 5 due to poor info given. I want to get the results from either Libre to either smartwatch, if you have managed it and it works successfully could you please send me some instructions so i can try and get this sorted

Many thanks
With that setup. Google Juggluco. This app was removed by the Google play store as it said the person has copied part of it. I have a Note 20 ultra, watch 5 and Libre2. Works a dream. You can even have your readings floating on your phone screen. If using it as a sat nav etc. All instructions are on their page. Updates come thick and fast. Android only thou. I have a thread on here from November when I started using it. When setup right it sends all data to Libreview too. Works with Libre3 I'm led to believe

Last edited: