1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle Libre and Lycra!

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by jwillyf, Nov 14, 2017.

1. jwillyf

jwillyf Type 2 · Active Member

Received my Libre today and now up and running.
    I have taped over the sensor for security. A slightly trivial query but I am a keen cyclist who wears closely fitting Lycra tops and the sleeves often have to dragged up the arms when putting them on.
    Anyone out there come to grief dragging such clothing over the sensor?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm paranoid about clingy Lycra sports bras and running vests, and I've got a very body-hugging running jacket which I sometimes feel dragging on the sensor - but in nearly 2 years I've not lost one yet! Have nearly come a cropper with swimwear a couple of times - simply by forgetting which arm it was on and being careful with the wrong side, if you see what I mean!

I've used Tegaderm on my sensor when I was going for a massage. No Lycra involved there - I was just protecting the sensor adhesive from the oil!

Tape would I'm sure give confidence, if you feel it's needed - I would recommend not applying tape directly to the sensor though as it would mean every time you move your arm the tape will pull on the sensor (which in fact is what you're trying to avoid in the first place with your Lycra sleeves, remember) so if you are taping it, it's a good idea to cut a circle of plastic (like from a polythene bag or something) to pop over the sensor before you stick the tape onto it and onto your skin.

Enjoy the ride - I LOVE my Libre and couldn't do without it!

:)

3. jwillyf

jwillyf Type 2 · Active Member

Thanks for that, Snapsy. Very helpful.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. RFSMarch

RFSMarch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Cut a piece of cling film around a £2 coin and stick that on top of the sensor before applying some tape... tegaderm and rocjtape seem to be the best/recommended...

I now use tegaderm when I am swimming, but take it off to let the skin around it breathe as I am having some reactions to the adhesive...

Lycra, Sports-bra and normal-bra ‘ping’ are ... daily hazards!!!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook