1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle Libre as a dieting aid

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by LittleGreyCat, Jul 12, 2019.

1. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

OK I'm spraying this all over the Fora but I thought it sensible to put an entry in each major category to aid those who only look at a specific forum.

I've been a long term LCHF dieter with strong attempts to stay in ketosis.

However for several years I have continually struggled to get and keep my weight at or below 12 stone.

Two weeks with a Freestyle Libre strapped to my arm and I find that it acts as my conscience and tells me what is really going on with my BG levels 24/7.

Through taking notice I have lost 5 lbs in two weeks and hopefully will lose a bit more over the coming weeks.
    The whole thing has been relatively painless as well, which suggests my previous problems have been mainly in my head.

So I would now recommend a Libre or two if you have a long term stalled weight loss campaign.
    If, of course, you can afford to self fund.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Larissima

Larissima Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is something I am considering, but I'm still unclear about how I can obtain a Libre without prescription. Can you please explain, or point me to a relevant thread? I'm T2D and have never had ordinary strips/meter from my GP.

3. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Head to a local chemist or pharmacy and ask to purchase one. They may need to order it and price varies considerably between about £45 and £65 even different branches of big chains. Asda and Superdrug are often well priced. As a diagnosed diabetic you are entitled to buy it vat free. There may be a form required to declare this for the shop to provide HMRC. You also need either a libre reader or a compatible mobile phone. Iphone 7 and higher work. Not sure which others. It needs “near field something” maybe NFC??

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. LittleGreyCat

Samsung Galaxy 5 works.
    NFC = Near Field Communication (IIRC).
    Basically you get the App running then tap the back of your phone against the top of the reader.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

You can also buy the reader and sensors on Amazon. Join the Abbott mailing list too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@LittleGreyCat out of interest how have you lost the weight with Libre?

Are you trying to keep you BSL below a certain level?
    Is it because you are trying to remain in ketosis?
    Is it because you are seeing things that you used to eat causing a rise and now avoid eating them?
    Or more exercises?
    Oe combination of the above or something else?

7. LittleGreyCat

Mainly seeing the effect of things I used to eat, and when I think "Oh, just this once a little bit won't hurt!" computer says NO!

Edit: I am addicted to Leffe Belgian beer. However that sends my BG into orbit. An occasional bottle of IPA beer from Lidl doesn't seem to.

I can see a blip when I eat a single apricot, but not a big one.

I haven't dared try any bread related products yet.

This is the voice of the Mysterons.......

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Larissima

Larissima Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, I will have a look in my local Asda when I come back from holidays. I just checked my phone and it has the NFC feature.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook