Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Animals apart from dogs.
Meat
Parking
Horror movies or programs
Morning everyone, I hope you are all well or doing ok?

I am currently awaiting a Freestyle Libre system.

Please can you advise, if you use this system how do you dispose of the :-

The sensor insert
The sensor

I'm personally thinking the sensor will need to be disposed of into a sharp safe box?

Is there any official guidelines for for disposing of the insert?

Thanks in advance.

Libby81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Animals apart from dogs.
Meat
Parking
FreeStyle Libre - Disposal

Well I emailed the Freestyle Libre website the same question, so I will copy and paste there reply.

For Your Information:-

Thank you for your e-mail.

This product should be disposed of in accordance with all applicable local regulations related to the disposal of electronic equipment, batteries, sharps, and materials potentially exposed to body fluids. The old batteries should be discarded in compliance with local government regulations.

The Libre Sensors should be disposed in an eco friendly environment. Please visit your local pharmacy, and they will have a special bin for the disposal of medical equipment.

If you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact our dedicated Customer Careline Team on 0500 467 466* or again by email on [email protected].

Customer Care Team
Abbott Diabetes Care UK

Hi admin, if this needs to be removed, feel free to remove it. Thank you

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I think there was a thread about this a while ago.

I agreed to try and dismantle an old sensor applicator to see if there was anything 'dangerous' inside. I couldn't get into it, hooligan that I was !!!! When taking off the first expired sensor, I saw the small filament that had been residing in my arm. It was very flimsy and quite 'bendy', so I decided it was extremely unlikely anyone would get stabbed by it and so I dispose of both sensors and applicators in the household rubbish. Used needles, of course should always go in a Sharps Bin.

I think Abbott are being ultra cautious and this is only my personal take on the situation.

It's entirely up to you to decide what you want to do.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone, I hope you are all well or doing ok?

I am currently awaiting a Freestyle Libre system.

Please can you advise, if you use this system how do you dispose of the :-

The sensor insert
The sensor

I'm personally thinking the sensor will need to be disposed of into a sharp safe box?

Is there any official guidelines for for disposing of the insert?

Thanks in advance.

Mine go into bagged rubbish into my usual rubbish - recyclables in the grey bin, and non recyclables in the black bin.

In my view there is nothing riskier then very common bathroom waste - by which I mean disposable razors or the like. The sensor's filament appears to be a teflon coated nylon "bristle" If you stood on it, I can't think of anyone whose skin would be punctured - not even a child.

Obviously those are my personal views.

Libby81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Animals apart from dogs.
Meat
Parking
I think there was a thread about this a while ago.

I agreed to try and dismantle an old sensor applicator to see if there was anything 'dangerous' inside. I couldn't get into it, hooligan that I was !!!! When taking off the first expired sensor, I saw the small filament that had been residing in my arm. It was very flimsy and quite 'bendy', so I decided it was extremely unlikely anyone would get stabbed by it and so I dispose of both sensors and applicators in the household rubbish. Used needles, of course should always go in a Sharps Bin.

I think Abbott are being ultra cautious and this is only my personal take on the situation.

It's entirely up to you to decide what you want to do.

Hi June,
Thanks for your reply. I think your right about Abbott. That said, they have to be seen to be covering themselves and providing the correct guildlines.

I am currently undecided about how I will dispose of it. I'm waiting for the system to arrive. The main descision I had already made was I would get a sharps bin for the sensors. Made that descision on my gut instinct.

I'm feeling pretty OTT regarding the diabetes. Was newly diagnosed on the 11th March, type 2. Have been using a traditional blood glucose monitoring kit, and have bought a travel size sharp bin for the strips to be disposed of into.

Doctor said no need to monitor but being as grandmother,mum and sister all have diabetes. I've felt I need to monitor. I've been glad I have been as well, as levels are fluating currently.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drop the sensor back into its wee screw pot and bin it. The 'needle' is very soft and bendy, and the screw pot is secure.

Always keep the sensor packaging until you have finished with the sensor. That way you have all the paperwork, ID code numbers etc. if you need to contact Abbott about it - failing sensors get replaced free.

Libby81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Animals apart from dogs.
Meat
Parking
Mine go into bagged rubbish into my usual rubbish - recyclables in the grey bin, and non recyclables in the black bin.

In my view there is nothing riskier then very common bathroom waste - by which I mean disposable razors or the like. The sensor's filament appears to be a teflon coated nylon "bristle" If you stood on it, I can't think of anyone whose skin would be punctured - not even a child.

Obviously those are my personal views.

Morning,

All views and opinions are welcome, being as I'm new to all things diabetes.
Maybe I'm just over reacting though.
I plan on having the libre and a traditional blood glucose monitor for back up.
The members of my family all just have the traditional kits.
Nan is type 1, mum, sister and me are type 2.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
As far as the strips, I put those in the household rubbish as well. Have you looked at a used strip after a few hours or days? There is just a tiny dot of dried blood that cannot possible harm anyone. All my rubbish is bagged as well, so I'm happy I'm not putting anyone at risk.

The only things going into a sharps bin are needles and lancets, although saying that, I think some people manage to put the tops back on and dispose of in the household rubbish.

Libby81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Animals apart from dogs.
Meat
Parking
I drop the sensor back into its wee screw pot and bin it. The 'needle' is very soft and bendy, and the screw pot is secure.

Always keep the sensor packaging until you have finished with the sensor. That way you have all the paperwork, ID code numbers etc. if you need to contact Abbott about it - failing sensors get replaced free.

Thanks for your reply, I'm a newbie. So all hints and tips are greatly appreciated. For me it's very interesting reading each persons take on how they disposed of the kits.
I think it will help me make an informed descision ready for when I get the kit.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
You definitely need a blood glucose monitor as well, otherwise you'll have no idea how good/bad the sensor is. Most of mine have been good, registering about 0.5mmol/l different to the bg reading. An odd one or two have given results showing I was either hypo or hyper when I wasn't !!

As @Brunneria has said, keep all the packaging until the sensor has expired in case you have to send one back.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You definitely need a blood glucose monitor as well, otherwise you'll have no idea how good/bad the sensor is. Most of mine have been good, registering about 0.5mmol/l different to the bg reading. An odd one or two have given results showing I was either hypo or hyper when I wasn't !!

As @Brunneria has said, keep all the packaging until the sensor has expired in case you have to send one back.

Interestingly, I have never been asked to return the packaging or applicator, just the sensor itself. I do tend to keep the "bits" until the sensor expires, just in case, but never needed them.

I think, like many things, it depends who deals with the call.

Libby81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Animals apart from dogs.
Meat
Parking

Does that tend to be the norm, anyone with a libre has a tradional BG monitor as well?

Up until now I never realised there was so much out there diabetes related. I guess thats because up untill now I've never needed to be aware.

Just checked the libre page, got a tracking number now. I'm so excited it's quite sad, in my personal opinion. Expected arrival date is the 29th March, hope it either comes before that date. Or early on that date, as I have plans.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does that tend to be the norm, anyone with a libre has a tradional BG monitor as well?

Up until now I never realised there was so much out there diabetes related. I guess thats because up untill now I've never needed to be aware.

Just checked the libre page, got a tracking number now. I'm so excited it's quite sad, in my personal opinion. Expected arrival date is the 29th March, hope it either comes before that date. Or early on that date, as I have plans.

I don't know of anyone who has no other method of tracking their bloods.

The Libre reader has an inbuilt traditional meter, so you can test from the handset quite happily, although the strips aren't the cheapest on the market. It does make sense to have some strips at least for the Libre reader as sometimes the support analyst will ask for readings taken either on the Libre or another Abbott meter, if things appear to be going awry with the sensor.

If you are to be prescribed test strips by your GP (the Libre isn't available on prescription at all at the moment), it could be useful to ask for strips that will work with your Libre, although most T2s don't generally manage that bit!

Are you intending full-time utilisation of the Libre, or a burst to begin with then intermittent use?

Libby81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Animals apart from dogs.
Meat
Parking
I don't know of anyone who has no other method of tracking their bloods.

The Libre reader has an inbuilt traditional meter, so you can test from the handset quite happily, although the strips aren't the cheapest on the market. It does make sense to have some strips at least for the Libre reader as sometimes the support analyst will ask for readings taken either on the Libre or another Abbott meter, if things appear to be going awry with the sensor.

If you are to be prescribed test strips by your GP (the Libre isn't available on prescription at all at the moment), it could be useful to ask for strips that will work with your Libre, although most T2s don't generally manage that bit!

Are you intending full-time utilisation of the Libre, or a burst to begin with then intermittent use?

I intend to fully utilise the libre, as I like the freedom it gives you unlike the traditional kits.

Once, I've got the kit I'm going to buy strips that go with the libre.

The tradition kit that I'm hoping to have hopefully will have less expensive strips, and ones that I could potentially get on prescription from my GP. Intend on buying everything to begin, for my own piece of mind.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I intend to fully utilise the libre, as I like the freedom it gives you unlike the traditional kits.

Once, I've got the kit I'm going to buy strips that go with the libre.

The tradition kit that I'm hoping to have hopefully will have less expensive strips, and ones that I could potentially get on prescription from my GP. Intend on buying everything to begin, for my own piece of mind.

It's not a cheap hobby to adopt!

I would urge you to utilise the kit - it's great; but to set yourself an honest review point to assess what you will actually get from it on a full time basis, once you have garnered the initial information.

I am a data monster, and I like to have decent control, but I can't honestly justify the Libre full time. If there were material benefits to me doing so, I could fund it, so please don't think I, or anyone else, can't afford it - we all make adjustments to accommodate the things we feel are important to ourselves and our healthy, but it all mounts up over time.

Libby81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Animals apart from dogs.
Meat
Parking
To be honest, I thought I'd get the starter pack. Try it for the month and go from there.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself a bit, at this point I really don't know if it will work for me or not.
Hence by having the traditional kit as well I'll be able to make an informed descision.

I love gadgets, that's what initially appealed. Plus the amount of information it gives you.
Normally, as a rule my life is extremely busy. Currently off work sick, so life is slower.

I wonder if I'm just adding pressure to myself when there's no need. Making big descision like this without the full bigger picture if you get my drift. Probably, part of my reaction to the diagnosis.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I think once you've had it for a month you'll become addicted. So many of us have ;)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, I thought I'd get the starter pack. Try it for the month and go from there.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself a bit, at this point I really don't know if it will work for me or not.
Hence by having the traditional kit as well I'll be able to make an informed descision.

I love gadgets, that's what initially appealed. Plus the amount of information it gives you.
Normally, as a rule my life is extremely busy. Currently off work sick, so life is slower.

I wonder if I'm just adding pressure to myself when there's no need. Making big descision like this without the full bigger picture if you get my drift. Probably, part of my reaction to the diagnosis.

The Libre wasn't available when I was diagnosed so I didn't quite have all the options you do, but I have thought about it all since then, and how I might have acted differently. I'll share that with you, on the basis it might instigate some further discussion (although I'm conscious of derailing your thread badly, so tell me off if you would rather begin another thread to cover this!

Firstly, I don't know anything about the levels you have been diagnosed at for your bloods, weight lipids etc., and it's also useful to know if you had any symptoms, or were diagnosed as part of some routine bloods or whatever, as those factors can have a bearing. Are you to be taking any prescribed medication for your diabetes, and do you have nay other significant health issues?

Personally, given my time again, I would adopt the following approach:

- I would get reading (as you are doing), and look at as many approaches as I find, in order to learn and make choices. We all have differing preferences.
- I would acquire a meter and strips as a matter of some urgency - that is your immediate feedback loop. Unless the person is taking certain medication, most GPs don't prescribe meters and strips to T2s, so we tend to be on our own there.
- I would start testing - even before making any changes to my diet or activities. That way you would see the impact of your current way of living on your bloods and begin to see where the numbers are bigger than you want them to be.
- Initial testing would be; on rising, after breakfast before and 2 hours after lunch and dinner. Before bedtime could be interesting, but not critical to my mind. I would test, with no changes for one week.
- Continue testing, but removing or reducing the foods you have already seen make a big (increase) difference to your test scores, substituting where required. Continue with this for a couple of weeks and review all your averages.
- Adjust further, so that after a month or so, you have a decent data set of your blood numbers with a good variety of things you have eaten and drunk. At this stage the actual test numbers are less important than just capturing the numbers, as longer terms you need to be looking at and for trends in your scores.

After a month or a couple of months, then consider the Libre. Honestly, initially there is so much feedback just from finger prick testing that I think the Libre too early could throw up confusions as much as enlightenment. For me, the Libre fills in the gaps; it doesn't give me fundamental data. In other words, I sort of think using the Libre too early could lead to a not being able to spot the wood for the trees situation. Others may think very differently.

So, there's my brain dump.

For many of us it is possible to make big improvements to our lives, health and wellbeing by adopting a simple, structured approach. Some of that is our efforts, but some is also how otherwise healthy we are, how long we may have been diabetic without realising it, our age, attitude to change and of course the cruel old genetic element in the mix. But, it is my strongly held belief that for T2s to make a difference, it is critical to pay attention to diet. What we eat and drink are our biggest weapons and our mainstay of control. Medication can impact and be extremely important but medication + a poor diet will not, in my view achieve the same results as either medication + a good diet, or just a decent diet on its own.

I have been fortunate never to have taken medication for my diabetes. I openly admit I got very lucky on many fronts, but I have worked hard. I'm not unusual on this forum, so for those equally fortunate, there's plenty to be achieved, simply.

Good luck with it all.

Libby81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Animals apart from dogs.
Meat
Parking
Thanks so much to everyone who has posted. All the information and advice has been really helpful.

I'll be glad now when I have the libre, and my traditional BG monitor. At least then I'll see what my levels are doing.

Doctor has put me straight on medication, so I'm eager to see if the medication is making any difference. Very early days though, only on day two.