Freestyle Libre during Surgery / General Anaesthetic?

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm due for (Middle ear) surgery in a couple of weeks and will be having General Anaesthetic. During the Pre-Op Assessment, I was told I would have to remove the Libre sensor.

I have read, not sure where/when, that patients undergoing general anaesthetic have commented on how the Anaersthetist has found the Libre to be very useful during the operation and saving frequent finger pricking to monitor etc.

Can anyone point me to where it might be stated/confirmed that the Libre is safe during general anaesthetic, please? I'm not planning on removing my sensor unless, after speaking with the Anaesthetist on the day, s/he insists, even after seeing documentation to confirm it's safe.

Many thanks

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I can't see the Libre being a problem during surgery! But you will need to ask the anesthetist if he/she is ok with it.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't see the Libre being a problem during surgery! But you will need to ask the anesthetist if he/she is ok with it.
Hi @porl69
Thanks. Yes, I'm not removing my sensor until I have spoken to the anaesthetist prior to surgery. I have only heard good things regarding the Libre system and how it benefits both medical staff and the patient during surgery. :)

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any documentation that would justify safety or the need for removal.

Again, thanks for confirming my thoughts and intentions ;)

Reactions: porl69

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If they want it removed, just ask them to replace it. After all it is on the NHS. FWIW, I had major surgery a couple of years back (prior to me using libre) and the hospital took the responsibility for supplying my insulin.

Carl13128

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I have just had my appendix removed and I was allowed to keep the censor in my arm.

Reactions: porl69

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only reasons I could think of would be to do with easy, unfettered access to your arms, for additional lines or other monitoring during surgery. They'll obviously not want to be jiggling around it for any blood pressure cuff you might be wearing, but it doesn't feel like a huge workaround.

It'll be good to know how you get along, @Energize

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only reasons I could think of would be to do with easy, unfettered access to your arms, for additional lines or other monitoring during surgery. They'll obviously not want to be jiggling around it for any blood pressure cuff you might be wearing, but it doesn't feel like a huge workaround.

It'll be good to know how you get along, @Energize
Well, I have to say I don't attach the sensor to my arm - I have it on either thigh, towards upper and slightly inner aspect. It's as accurate, in my opinion, and much more difficult to knock off. I have also had sensors sited on my abdomen, just lower than bra level, and again, it's been good.

Since I've had surgery for Breast Cancer (8 yrs clear now :) ), I've been advised not to use my right arm for blood samples, blood pressure, any tornique etc hence I use alternative sites. So, location of the sensor during operation, shouldn't be an issue, I hope ;)

Thanks very much for your thoughts. Yes, I'll post back to let Libre users know if having a sensor on, caused any issues etc ;)

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I have just had my appendix removed and I was allowed to keep the censor in my arm.
Hi Carl

Thanks for your confirmation re having sensor sited during operation but very sorry to hear you've had Appendix out recently but pleased you were allowed to keep your sensor on. Did staff / anaesthetist comment on how they might have appreciated the benefits of it? ;)

I do hope you are recovering well, without any unexpected/unwanted events occurring etc. Take care and try not to overdo it ;)

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If they want it removed, just ask them to replace it. After all it is on the NHS. FWIW, I had major surgery a couple of years back (prior to me using libre) and the hospital took the responsibility for supplying my insulin.
Hi Barry

I hope you're well recovered now. I will certainly attempt to 'barter' if I'm told to remove my sensor but, if that's what they want, then I'll be obliged to cooperate, of course.

I'm not sure they would agree to supplying a replacement, if I have to remove it (it will have been applied just 4 days before my operation) as I'm Type 2 and not Type 1 and fitting criteria etc. However, still worth trying to get them to reimburse me with a prescription, eh? ;)

Thanks very much for your comments

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I have to say I don't attach the sensor to my arm - I have it on either thigh, towards upper and slightly inner aspect. It's as accurate, in my opinion, and much more difficult to knock off. I have also had sensors sited on my abdomen, just lower than bra level, and again, it's been good.

Since I've had surgery for Breast Cancer (8 yrs clear now :) ), I've been advised not to use my right arm for blood samples, blood pressure, any tornique etc hence I use alternative sites. So, location of the sensor during operation, shouldn't be an issue, I hope ;)

Thanks very much for your thoughts. Yes, I'll post back to let Libre users know if having a sensor on, caused any issues etc ;)

Blimey, bearing in mind where your sensor is sited, they may not even find it, if your op is on your ear!

I've used a couple of alternative sites too. For me, I tried, outer chest, so that it was hidden by my bikin, and lower abdomen, towards groin, to hide under bikini bottoms. My only issue was almost pulling on the abdomen on when dealing with snug jeans.

Good luck with the op.

Last edited:

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blimey, bearing in mind where your sensor is cited, they may not even find it, if your op is on your ear!

Good luck with the op.
Ha Ha Ha That made me laugh - imagining them going over me, during operation, like someone with a metal detector, hoping to find something ;)

In reality, I'll certainly tell them where the sensor is and, maybe, will have to show them how to use it! As I'm having surgery on my ear (not 'rear' ;) ), my thighs, where the sensor will be, are unlikely to be in the way of the sterile area etc. I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem there whereas upper abdomen may well be more problematical ;)

It will certainly be interesting to find out how they react to me having the sensor. Hopefully, they've come across them many a time previously and it won't be a problem ;)

Yes, I agree one has to be careful wearing jeans, especially if a bit tight, when in a rush to get to the loo ... LOL I think I've got pretty used to avoiding the sensors now, although still try to be aware of it at these times! LOL

Thanks