Freestyle Libre Graphs For A Non-diabetic

rider

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there, does anyone have access to a freestyle Libre graph for a non-diabetic ? People do mention that for non-diabetic also, there is a spike after food but then insulin is produced to keep it under control. How much does it spike?

Thanks
Ken

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am wondering what the chances are that a non diabetic has paid £50 to have a Libre sensor fitted. I think it's unlikely.

I have taken an occasional finger prick test on non diabetics when they start asking questions about what I am doing. These would be classed as random tests. I never found one as high as 7.

Reactions: rider

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
Hi there, does anyone have access to a freestyle Libre graph for a non-diabetic ? People do mention that for non-diabetic also, there is a spike after food but then insulin is produced to keep it under control. How much does it spike?

Thanks
Ken
Hi, I'm a little confused at what you mean, I'm attaching a graph that I use when i'm teaching about Homeostasis in school. It shows the way that glucose level increases after a high carb meal in relation to insulin levels. Not sure if this is any help.
glucose level after eating.jpg

Reactions: rider

rider

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not sure where I found this but it's comparing a Non-diabetic graph with a Diabetic graph
Ambulatory_Glucose_Profile_Sample_Graphs_Non-_D_vs_D.png
Thank you everyone. @Energize, yes, that is what I was looking for to see how much my blood sugar was varying overall so that I can control my BG better.

Simoner1 and Antje77, thank you for the references and the reading material. Very helpful indeed.

The more you are armed with knowledge, the better your decisions.
Thank you all once again. Appreciate your inputs.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @rider

You may find the www.bloodsugar101.com website an interesting read. Lots of interesting info on what constitutes 'normal' and the different ways that 'normal' develops into the various forms of glucose intolerance. Well worth a good ramble around the site. :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Mel. Compared to that mine is all over the place :(
I didn’t mean to make you feel bad, I have the advantage of having an insulin pump and CGM, so I can “sugar surf” - microdoses of insulin and carbs to stay in range relatively easily.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn’t mean to make you feel bad, I have the advantage of having an insulin pump and CGM, so I can “sugar surf” - microdoses of insulin and carbs to stay in range relatively easily.
Works on mdi as well :). Although I have had to explain to my pharmacy that I'm not running some illegal pen-needle webshop or something like that :p

Reactions: LooperCat

rider

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not at all Mel, :) just given me the focus to try and get it in that range and knowing that it is possible is good. The other articles have also helped a lot.

Have a good day.

chrisonator70

It is normal for a non-diabetic to spike well above 7.8 using finger prick testing at one hour. I am a non diabetic 19 year old with a BMI of 20 and I have seen it as high as 10 at one hour. Its usually back under 7.8 at 2 hr, but not always if I've had a high carb meal. When I first noticed these spikes I panicked thinking I was prediabetic, but as it turns out spikes are perfectly normal. The threshold for pre-diabetes being at 7.8 for the 2 hour OGTT is based on a venous blood sample. Venous blood is often about 20% lower in glucose than capillary (finger prick) blood is after a meal, so a finger stick will overestimate the postprandial lab value a lot in most cases.

Reactions: finsit

chrisonator70

Does that chart refer to venous or capillary blood? I ask this because all of the guidelines set by the WHO for diagnosing impaired glucose tolerance/diabetes are based on venous samples, while finger prick glucometers read capillary whole blood with an internal conversion to the equivalent plasma value. Capillary blood is significantly higher in glucose than venous blood after a meal. If that chart is based on venous blood, then a perfectly normal reading at 2 hours with a finger stick could be up to 9 or so. It's often difficult when researching guidelines to see whether they are referring to capillary or venous blood. The WHO is specifically referring to venous plasma in its glucose tolerance test guidelines.