1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle Libre & Infection

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by JonBoy1199, Mar 23, 2020.

1. JonBoy1199

JonBoy1199 Type 1.5 · Member

Be careful with the Freestyle Libre sensor if it starts to come loose, as to my horror I have found out what can happen.

My sensor starter becoming a little loose, but I didn't react straight away. Bacteria has crept under the sensor and on to the needle, getting past my skin. I now have a nasty staph infection that has caused my arm to swell up an area the size of a fist. It's very painful and the infection has made me feel unwell and affecting my glucose levels.

In the future, if it comes unstuck I will ensure I remove it and clean the area with TCP immediately to prevent infection. Sharing this so hopefully, no one else ends up in this situation. I got lucky this time as it's not got into my bloodstream and a 2-week course of antibiotics will clear it up, but it's opened my eyes to keeping an eye on my sensor and area around it.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook