Freestyle Libre & insulin pumps

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, i've been T1 for 20yrs and admit i have poor control in the early years i have autonomic neuropathy, does any know if the freestyle Libre is available in the Dorset area as i think this will greatly improve my control?

i am also interested in asking for information regarding the self-adjusting insulin pump, does anyone have any experience with this?

thank you in advance,

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @homer190376 You will need to speak to your DSN to find out :)

Out of interest what help do you need with your control ? Are you confident adjusting your insulin doses and ratios ?

D

Deleted Account

The criteria for qualifying for Libre should become the same throughout England from 1st April.
I believe they will be using the RMOC criteria which are described here.

Bear in mind, the expectation is only 25% of people with type 1 diabetes are expected to qualify.

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The criteria for qualifying for Libre should become the same throughout England from 1st April.
I believe they will be using the RMOC criteria which are described here.

Bear in mind, the expectation is only 25% of people with type 1 diabetes are expected to qualify.

Thank you for your reply, I'm visiting my diabetic clinic tomorrow so will let you know how i get on.

Reactions: Kim Possible

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @homer190376 You will need to speak to your DSN to find out :)

Out of interest what help do you need with your control ? Are you confident adjusting your insulin doses and ratios ?

Hi juicyj,

yes and no, i normally take my sugar levels before meal then have a guess at the dose required, a bit hit and miss, i no this is wrong but feel i have just fallen of the wagon regarding my control and need a little direction, i've been in and out of hospital the past few weeks with complications with my autonomic neuropathy and need a thresh start.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I hate to say it @homer190376 but I don’t think a libre is the answer then as it’s not going to control the amount of insulin going into your body which is the problem.

You need to go back to basics and learn carb counting - get on a DAFNE course, dose adjustment for normal eating, your Dsn can enrol you, get a copy of ‘Think like a pancreas’ written by a type 1.

Taking the correct amount of insulin at the right time will solve your issues but it’s down to you to take control and learn to manage it better, a libre is useless unless you know how to use it properly.