1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle Libre medi swap problem

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by chrisf-1, Apr 10, 2021.

1. chrisf-1

chrisf-1 Type 1 · Member

Hi again everyone I am now on the freestyle libre and they have stopped supplying the the alcohol swabs with the sensor!!! So I contacted my doctor who prescribed them separately for me but have since been in touch with my chemist who tells me he cannot locate anyone with stock so cannot supply so in turn I then contacted the pharmacist at my surgery who said if the chemist cannot get a supply then he will not be able to either what can I do any suggestions welcome as I have about a week to run before I will need them I was thinking maybe cotton wool and surgical spirit would the result be the same many thanks everyone and stay safe Chris

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Peter03

Peter03 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes that would work, I use that all the time, I thought it was just in the EU that libre had stopped swaps but obviously not

3. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A wash with soap and water before putting the libre on is plenty to get wherever your putting it clean enough for it.

I only used the alcohol swabs to get the sticky stuff off my arms afterwards cos they stick to me like superglue, I actually ordered a big tub from amazon that were much bigger to do that

Though I recently changed to the Medtronic Guardian sensors and they said they didn't actually advise wiping the skin (they dont provide any with their sensors) with alcohol wipes beforehand, soap and water would do the job, I know they aren't the libre but I suspect the same applies.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Abbott emailed me when they stopped supplying the swabs and said that soap and water is fine. There is no need to cost the NHS extra money and filling more land fill with rubbish.
    Just use soap and water and you will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. corbanwolf

corbanwolf Type 1 · Active Member

They are available online for half free. Go to eBay and search alcohol pads or wipes

6. kvetiny

kvetiny Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The swabs they have been supplying recently have been useless, all dried up. Best to use soap and water and your own nails.

7. JaneC

JaneC Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So much antiseptic hand gels around, why not use a drop of that if soap and water not good enough?

8. UK T1

UK T1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just a heads up for any new libre users that some have problems with sensor adhesive not sticking properly. Personally I've always found the opposite and struggle to remove the sensors after two weeks! Just in case, I was told part of the reason to use the alcohol wipes or soap and water is to remove any moisturiser/creams etc from the surface of the skin so the adhesive sticks better. Some of the alcohol gels have moisturiser type substances mixed in them, so it might affect how long the sensor stays stuck.

9. JaneC

JaneC Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good point!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook