Freestyle Libre now available in iPhone

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Checking your glucose just got even easier with the new FreeStyle LibreLink app! With many of the same features of your FreeStyle Libre reader2 and more, you have the freedom to manage your diabetes anytime, anywhere using your iPhone or Android1 phone.
art_1.png

Scan - Giving you the information you need, when you need it

All it takes is one scan of your FreeStyle Libre sensor with a compatible phone1:

REAL-TIME GLUCOSE: View your current glucose reading, trend arrow and glucose history
TRACK YOUR PROGRESS: Add notes to track your food, insulin and exercise

Reactions: kokhongw

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I saw this yesterday.
Only problem is that it only works for iphone 7 onwards, and I have an iphone 6.

So it will be years til I upgrade (kept my last phone from 2008 til 2015 because it still worked, and why waste money on an upgrade when not needed...)

Ah well, one day.

Beady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I find this so frustrating. Why restrict this to iphone 7 and up. I have a 6+ and will be over a year until i can upgrade. The 6 has virtually all the same features as 7 and all android phones have the required hardware. I feel apple has made this decision for commercial reasons - to push sales of iphone 7 and iphone x. This it very poor when you apply this to medical apps that will have real health benefits. Can say i am totally surprised by apples behaviour favouring sales at the expense of doing decent things for diabetics but it’s incredibly annoying and paints a bleak future when huge corps like apple wield similar powers to states and counties

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i just upgraded two weeks ago so went for android instead of iphone because of the libre. ... it was a hard change but so much happier with Samsung. 100 times better and faster than the iphone

Reactions: IonutzPopa

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I find this so frustrating. Why restrict this to iphone 7 and up. I have a 6+ and will be over a year until i can upgrade. The 6 has virtually all the same features as 7 and all android phones have the required hardware. I feel apple has made this decision for commercial reasons - to push sales of iphone 7 and iphone x. This it very poor when you apply this to medical apps that will have real health benefits. Can say i am totally surprised by apples behaviour favouring sales at the expense of doing decent things for diabetics but it’s incredibly annoying and paints a bleak future when huge corps like apple wield similar powers to states and counties

It is something to do with the NFC chip in the Iphone 6. It can be jailbroken to use all the funcionality of the NFC chip but Apple only want the 6 to work with ApplePay for some unknown reason

Reactions: IonutzPopa

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I recently upgraded to the iPhone 7 at Christmas, couldn't have been a better time to upgrade really. Have been eagerly awaiting the release of the app for iPhones as I carry mine everywhere with me. Cannot wait to try it out when my new sensors come later today!

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apple only want the 6 to work with ApplePay for some unknown reason

To force you to upgrade if you want to use the other features ;)
They don't have a market cap over $800 billion by not causing forced obsolescence.

x Carol x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would be very interested to hear how the app compares with the reader.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would be very interested to hear how the app compares with the reader.

I've been using it for an entire day and each time I've scanned with both the reader and the app and there's been no difference in results for me.

Reactions: x Carol x

fish 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know if the iPhone version of the new FreeStyle LibreLink app integrates with Apple Health?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If one uses this app they don't need the Libre reader right? And will this app alert you via your phone when you are headed low like the Dexcom?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It can be used in place or in tandem with the Libre reader provided they're both activated on the same sensor within an hour of each other.

No alerts, this is still flash glucose monitoring. Alerting is only possible on Libre via a Blucon on top of a sensor.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Was gutted when I tried to upgrade to then realise it was only available for iphone 7's :(

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I started using the app last night on an iPhone X, here are my findings

• Results seem to differ from the scanner a touch if scanner says 6.3 then the iPhone says 6.5 etc, this could either be a slight algorithm issue or maybe my level has changed between the two scan times both scans are done immediately after each other btw. Tried this a few times last night. Still nothing to worry about I guess.
  • The App is really seamless and works well, I like the fact you can edit an entry from the log at a later time
  • One thing that is annoying this is that you have to do the following to actually get a result Unlock phone
  • Activate app
    Press button on the app
    Hold the iPhone precisely near the sensor to get the number, not sure why they haven't created widget that can sit on the widget screen and you tap to activate and just scan. Anyway.​
  • The reader is much quicker, switch it on and scan.​
Overall pretty it's good; but not being used with full potential of the iPhone. I'll use it when I don't want to carry additional hardware around in my pockets.

Does anyone know if you can export a report using the Libre software on a computer like you can with the reader?

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I have the same experience between the Android version and libre reader. I tend to find that phone app is ahead of the Libre if there is a difference and the Libre generally will agree a few minutes later with the phone app version older reading.

shezza48

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been given libre reader by DSN, I just have to get the sensors. I’m so annoyed that the app won’t work with iPhone 6s. I’m waiting on results of blood tests to determine what type of diabetic I am. DSN thinks I’m type 1.5 in honeymoon phase of being type 1. I’ve had pancreatitis 9 times in 6 months, she doesn’t think that my pancreas is working now. That’s why my levels are so unpredictable

GVA2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just been given libre reader by DSN, I just have to get the sensors. I’m so annoyed that the app won’t work with iPhone 6s. I’m waiting on results of blood tests to determine what type of diabetic I am. DSN thinks I’m type 1.5 in honeymoon phase of being type 1. I’ve had pancreatitis 9 times in 6 months, she doesn’t think that my pancreas is working now. That’s why my levels are so unpredictable

You might be type 3c

Reactions: Ledzeptt