Freestyle Libre on NHS

philwoolfall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Was wondering if anyone been successful at getting with libre on the NHS yet? I went to the diabetic nurse last week with cost benefit analysis but was told that as a practice they’ve reviewed and decided not to fund this currently. I’m in south Oxfordshire.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Scott, not sure how I missed that!

Phil, I've got a vague memory of you being interested in getting results on your watch for distance running.

Tada!

20171105_150404.jpg

Put a blucon transmitter from Ambosia Systems on top of libre, xDrip+ was tweaked back in September to take data from blucon, bluetooths it to xdrip on phone every 5 mins, then to watch, Fossil Q Explorist. There's a way of pushing it directly to the watch too without phone but haven't read the instructions yet.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...EBb4QFggoMAA&usg=AOvVaw0BJntlEu-QZlMmkOf6gLLr

philwoolfall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Scott. Looks really good! II’ve got the blucon but my use of an apple phone and garmin watch will probably mean that this won’t work for now. Will have a look tho and thanks loads for the info.

Doug N

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If post #8 in the thread link below is anything to go by, sell your house and move oop north!

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/got-my-nhs-prescription-for-libre.129183/#post-1615689
I bet Theresa May uses it...!!Cos of the cost I use it for two weeks and then use the stabber for the next4 weeks. Hba1c's are better but not as good as if I used it all the time. Toe amputated 2 years ag due to blocked foot arteries!! Hospitalisation costs are immense when treating side effects of Diabetes!!

morpheus123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Currently in Merseyside the ccg have said that they will make a decision on if they will fund the libra in the next 6-12 months. As such no gp's can offer them with nhs funding.

Mike

Fearless36

She definitely does, she has been photographed with one recently and they didn't know what it was and all the theories ranged from it being a smoking patch to an alien contact device!
I bet Theresa May uses it...!!Cos of the cost I use it for two weeks and then use the stabber for the next4 weeks. Hba1c's are better but not as good as if I used it all the time. Toe amputated 2 years ag due to blocked foot arteries!! Hospitalisation costs are immense when treating side effects of Diabetes!!

Fearless36

I'm in Queens Park, North West London, Zone 2 and I've been told that even though its supposedly on NHS, that no North West London practice is authorized to prescribe it which is a bit of a shame. For me, I have zero hypo awareness nowadays. So when I was using this device it definitely helped avoid hypos but its quite costly for me to use and fund myself.
Was wondering if anyone been successful at getting with libre on the NHS yet? I went to the diabetic nurse last week with cost benefit analysis but was told that as a practice they’ve reviewed and decided not to fund this currently. I’m in south Oxfordshire.

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
She definitely does, she has been photographed with one recently and they didn't know what it was and all the theories ranged from it being a smoking patch to an alien contact device!

Yes, I saw that last week. It looked like the libre??? Wonder if she self funds or the NHS funds it?

Fearless36

I suspect that with her salary she can afford to self fund it although wouldn't be surprised if NHS funded it for her automatically (although interesting Westminster the borough isn't funding it for diabetic patients though).
Yes, I saw that last week. It looked like the libre??? Wonder if she self funds or the NHS funds it?

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes its on the list ,but most ccgs will not fund it even when shown it will save money in the long term

Reactions: anniehi41
D

Diabeticliberty

Yes its on the list ,but most ccgs will not fund it even when shown it will save money in the long term

I am extremely interested in your comment. Please explain how it will save money? How much will it save? Who will it save money for? There are reckoned to be 400,000 type 1 diabetics in Britain and upward of 4,000,000 type 2's. How shall we decide who will get it on prescription and who will not? Every other diabetic in Britain is or should be as entitled to Libre as I am. Shall we then put upwards of 5,000,000 diabetics on prescription at a cost to the NHS of upwards of £70.00 per patient per month? 5,000,000 x 70 x 12 equals a bankrupt NHS. The NHS can barely stand up on its current financial commitments. Maybe some of the shareholders at Abbott can sub the NHS until pay day :)

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since I test upto 10 times a day and therfore goes through a 50 test strips fast and they cost £25:00 to the NHS, lasts 5 days and then another £ 25:00 for the next 5/6 days and the cost of the sensor would be £59:00 for 14 days and that is not adding the tests I have to do to stay in the DVLA guides line. the cost is about the same,but saves in the long run as I will not have to prick my finger and hopfully not lose any more fellins in them?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Since I test upto 10 times a day and therfore goes through a 50 test strips fast and they cost £25:00 to the NHS, lasts 5 days and then another £ 25:00 for the next 5/6 days and the cost of the sensor would be £59:00 for 14 days and that is not adding the tests I have to do to stay in the DVLA guides line. the cost is about the same,but saves in the long run as I will not have to prick my finger and hopfully not lose any more fellins in them?

Is that your case for a prescription......? Was it successful....?

10 times a day must be on the odd occasion, no?

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes thats correct upto 10 times a day most days as I am 71 years old and my awarnes of hypos after 55 years of being a type 1 is not as good as it should be.Both my GP and hospital consultant say tesat as many times asa required to keep your glucpose above 6 which I try and do!

Fearless36

For those who have zero hypo awareness and are finding that they are hypoing frequently it can help avoid them. I work for example, and have since switching onto the so called "more concentrated" insulins hypoed frequently throughout the day and been hospitalized several times as a result. The money spent on that hospital trip alone the first time no doubt was a lot of money as they kept me in for 3 days trying to balance my sugars (and painstakingly slowly). Despite telling them my insulin doses, they refused to let me inject that amount for fear of me having another episode, so I spent 3 days arguing with them till they finally agreed to let me do the dosage suggested and then my sugars went to normal.

Now for me, the Libre, helped avoid hypos, and so I didn't spend time in the hospital when I received my trial one, and I self funded for a while thereafter, but it was too expensive for me. Now as a result, I'm avoiding injections simply because I don't want to hypo unexpectedly. I'm doing finger prick tests still, but I'm really angry at this whole scenario. If my former insulin which I lived some 20 years on in perfect health hadn't been discontinued, then I could have easily avoided this. However in the past month I have been hospitalized once a week at least. From having hypos on the tube on the way home from work, to having them at work. Its a complete nightmare for me.
I am extremely interested in your comment. Please explain how it will save money? How much will it save? Who will it save money for? There are reckoned to be 400,000 type 1 diabetics in Britain and upward of 4,000,000 type 2's. How shall we decide who will get it on prescription and who will not? Every other diabetic in Britain is or should be as entitled to Libre as I am. Shall we then put upwards of 5,000,000 diabetics on prescription at a cost to the NHS of upwards of £70.00 per patient per month? 5,000,000 x 70 x 12 equals a bankrupt NHS. The NHS can barely stand up on its current financial commitments. Maybe some of the shareholders at Abbott can sub the NHS until pay day :)

Fearless36

I also agree with this comment. When I have a cold for example, I test every waking half hour because my sugars are capable of fluctuating big time - and I've had the condition for some 35 plus years now. For me a working day is in itself at least 16 blood tests if you are just talking the physical working hours - and doesn't include the journey to/from work or the time spent at home, so I find that I get through the test strips a lot faster than that too.

Reactions: MeganTetley