FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think expectations could have been handled better. Probably would have been less negativity.
The marketing does make it sound like a silver bullet. Until you read the small print :)

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is another system in current clinical trials In UK. I can't give any more details, but it is likely to be a major competitor of Abbott.

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Great analysis Tim. Shows that the Libre is useful for some things (reactions to insulin, food) and really not for others (knowing a precise-ish number). And that it can really be erratic, so can always let us down. Wonderful you've documented this.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Tim. Great article and analysis. I hope Abbott take note. I'm sorry that the results are as they are, but also pleased that it bears out what I was saying about my first two sensors. Looking back, I think maybe 4 of my 6 sensors were suspect, but I kind of ended up accepting an unacceptable level of inaccuracy by the time I got to the later ones. I am really missing the Libre though!
Smidge

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This might just be me, but one thing I've found the libre really helpful with has been controlling the rebounds. We've all done it, where we've over compensated for a hypo, and the libre gives you an idea of how fast your sugars are climbing, so that you can go back and reassess what you ate, then manage it. I've found that useful on a couple of occasions (lantus panic being the most obvious).

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, Cavilon Spray applied and sensor number 7 is in. I am keeping my fingers crossed that there is no skin irritation this time. I will post if this changes.

Reactions: 6 people

finney

Thanks Tim. Great article and analysis. I hope Abbott take note. I'm sorry that the results are as they are, but also pleased that it bears out what I was saying about my first two sensors. Looking back, I think maybe 4 of my 6 sensors were suspect, but I kind of ended up accepting an unacceptable level of inaccuracy by the time I got to the later ones. I am really missing the Libre though!
Smidge

I have just removed number 5 and find I have a half circle of reaction. It is not as bad as some, but will email the photo to Abbott. I had already decided to have a break too as I needed to consolidate my thoughts and actions. I did really miss it yesterday and could have avoided huge spikes. My Omnipod didn't go right in at the change. On the Omnipod, I soared to 25 BG supposedly, with no awareness. then I retested on the Omnipod to 22.5. Over corrected over night and woke on 2.9. the point I am making is This would not have happened with the Libre, as I would have zapped it during the night and got some indication. I have also learnt to that I must meal bolus 30 minutes at least, in advance. I have learnt that next time I will insert the sensor 24 hours in advance.

From Tim's excellent analysis, I will use a meter before each meal bolus for a while at least.
I have the use of an extra Omnipod for a few days, so shall compare the meter readings and report back
finney

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@finney - be careful with future sensors. My 4th sensor left a semi circular mark as you are describing and I didn't think anything of it, but sensor 5 left an awful skin reaction and the mark left by sensor 4 flared up really badly when I applied sensor 6 next to it. I think you're wise to take a break and let the mark clear up properly. @Andy_P please let us know how the cavillon works out - fingers crossed!

Smidge

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So far so good, sensor pretty accurate
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1421530922.798413.jpg

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
PS - also for those who have had to contact Abbott about this - what number did you use? This one - 008000 - 2255 232 or a different one? I had to leave a message I guess as it is Saturday. Did anyone use email as well/alternatively?

Thanks,
Joe

one of my sensors died 4 days prior to expiry on a sunday. I just sent a message via email directly using the contact link on my ordering page. They called me on the Monday and asked for a brief explanation. They talked me through my scanner....how to get the serial number. I gave this and 3 days later a new sensor arrived.
i must say... Abbott are improving.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3 months using the Libre.
Month 1 HBA1C - 8.5%.
Month 2 HBA1C - 8%.
Month 3 HBA1C - 7.5%.

I hardly prick a finger anymore.

Things learned:
Fast Acting insulin takes at least 25 minutes to start working after injecting. For years my diabetes team said that I should inject just before my meal.
Blood sugar still rises after 4 hours of eating so its really important to test after 2 hours of eating. I was always told to test just before a meal and not after!!!! My team said the most important readings are pre prandial and not post!!!! This turns out to be total garbage.

Insight gained from the Libre has been amazing and without it, Id be none the wiser. I honestly believe that the NHS should seriously make this available to all type 1's.
Being able to test at any time..... I scan on average about 30 times a day now.

The up, down or stable arrow has been a huge help for me and I have managed to avoids highs and hypos.
I have learned what food and drinks to avoid and which are best.
Being able to see accurate graphs over 24 hours has been a huge help in identifying times of day where I need more or less insulin.
In general, the Libre has made life easier for me and brought my HBA1C down by 1.5%.
A 1% drop in HbA1c can result in a risk reduction of up to:
Retinopathy 38%
Nephropathy 28%
Neuropathy 28%
Cardiovascular event 57%

Surely if the above is true, then this would have a huge impact on the NHS if all type 1's had similar results from using the Libre?
The NHS only prescribe about 200 finger sticks per month which works out to about 6 tests per day. The average cost of 1 box of strips is about £14 to the NHS. - Roughly £60 to the NHS per month per type 1!

Testing 6 times a day is simply not enough for any type 1. This treatment provides very little insight if any at all.
I finger pricked for 14 years and NEVER had good control and it was not because I never took my condition serious. I did. I just never had the insight that the Libre has now provided.

My vision has improved. I no longer need my glasses all the time. I can even read my TV menu.
Neuropathy has gone.
I think my neuropathy only got worse in the last month because my control had improved, my BG became more stable. It was definately my nerves waking up. The addition of supplements also helped.

Without the insight provided by Libre, I probably would never have changed to a low carb, high protein, high fat diet.
I would never have seen the effect of full fats on my BG!

Having a more stable BG pattern - I feel healthier, have more energy, am happier.
I ALWAYS got flu between Nov - Jan. First year I have NOT had any colds or flu and its simply down to being in control.

My weight has also gone up so all in all... im happy.

I just wish the NHS would support us now and have the insight to realise that prescribing this will definately save them money in the long term and cut the risk of complications.

I read how much money it costs to treat 1 hypo in A&E. Imagine if all type 1's had a libre and could scan anywhere, anytime and see the arrow?

Insight = knowledge = power

Reactions: 19 people