FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also have it higher up on my leg and haven't had any problems with it being overly visible etc.

I use OpSite to cover it as I'm conscious the Compeed starts peeling at the edges after a little while. I don't think I'd bother covering it if I fired it directly on to my skin.

obates

Thanks @obates I have it a bit furtger down yes. Just under the end of my pocket. But still almost grabbed it while I was searching for coins..;p

Do you use to cover the sensor? The sensor sometimes bumps in while carrying bags or other stuff. And don't know how comfortable jeans will be over it. Anyway for now its doing fine

No. I tried opsite once couldnt get it off afterwards and had a funny rash so stopped using it. I normally wear tight jeans and no probs. The edges do become a bit loose after a week or so but until last sensor which came off a day early I have not had them fallen off and quite difficult to peel off even when they run out. I guess im used to have it on a leg by now. I dont keep reader or anything big on the same side pocket where sensor placed as it catches it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Ah goshdamnit.... The sensor has finally given up. It's been doing its best to hold on tight to my arm, but the tegaderm has failed and I've now got the sensor error issue asking me to scan again in 10 mins (and have had for 35 mins). Time to call Abbott again. At least there are only three days left on this one. It's still immensely frustrating though, especially when this has been one of my best sensors yet! (And I'd just ordered some new sensors at the end of last week, so at least it doesn't push my order point in time out too far).

a69f13e46bb1e3779791b034638244c6.jpg

As the image shows, it's just about woken up, but I suspect the reagent filament isn't in properly any longer...

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think this suggests the sensor has gone properly loopy! ( real BG is 6.8 so no worries about that)

dd958e9b405eef6ec4b39e137b5f7dbc.jpg

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I am putting this down partially to site and partially to glue changes of some description. The sticky pad is no longer sticky after 11 days and appears to have muck and mould growing on it, probably due to getting damp in the shower because it was lifting slightly. Fortunately no skin reaction, but it would explain the itchiness. Look away now if squeamish.

481f864084a695ea158887c83ce7eeb8.jpg

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't noticed any change in the glue. Current sensor Exp 2016/03 Lot 150321A

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've spoken to a "senior manager" at Abbott who re-affirmed that there have been no changes to the glue since launch

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've spoken to a "senior manager" at Abbott who re-affirmed that there have been no changes to the glue since launch
When I say "changes" that also could include slightly less of it. Many wouldn't describe that as a "change" to the glue...

Reactions: 2 people

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All of the sensors I have used have started to lift after 7/8 days. One sensor came out last night whilst I was sleeping, day 11. I have very thin arms so I am wondering if it never has a completely flat surface to stick too.

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Wow the mould is really ackward. Might have been caused by the opsite. Anyway, this proves that to cover your skin up for 14 days like this is too long. Abbot should limit the sensors to 7 days and take only 50% of the price.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Hill28, I don't think the mould has anything to do with covering skin for 14 days. It's the first time it has happened. I'm certain it's been caused by the sensor lifting, getting damp and then being covered by tegaderm.

Rainey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just had my first sensor of 6 last for 14 days!!! Sadly I had to attach it with surgical tape. Personally I've had 3 fall off & 2 pack up completely after 1-6 days. I believe the concept is great but currently not fit for purpose nor worth the money. I still have 1 sensor that packed up after 24hrs that they will not replace!

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had to give up wearing mine as now getting the dreaded allergic reaction :grumpy: barrier spray/cream no longer working, also tried a compeed (?) plaster but the sensor didn't work through it. Shame as I really liked the Libre but my arm gets in such a mess, even after wearing the sensor for just a few hours. I don't get any reactions from anything else, including plasters. Any suggestions gratefully received.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
This is going to sound mad, but what about using aluminium foil as a barrier to the abbott glue?

To my knowledge, It's relatively impermeable so if attached to the sensor first that should provide a good barrier; you would probably need to use a thin layer of cloth (bandage) or double-sided surgical tape between the skin and foil to prevent moisture build up.

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
@Minnie45 if I use a compeed medium blister plaster, I press a bit more firmly while inserting the sensor and than keep the attacher down for some seconds and slowly take it off. Most of the times it works, but I have also had 2 sensors not working through the plaster. You could Ask Abbot to replace your sensor and than try again.

Good luck..

Last edited by a moderator:

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why are you almost all talking about using special plasters, surgical tapes etc between the sensor and your skin?
Are most not working fine straight out of the box?

Btw: Doesn't this bg/meter combo deserve that we create a new thread or even that we get a sub-section just for that, so we have threads for each specialty area of its usage?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why are you almost all talking about using special plasters, surgical tapes etc between the sensor in your skin?

Btw: Doesn't this bg/meter combo deserve that we create a new thread or even that we get a sub-section just for that, so we have threads for each specialty area of its usage?
I'm on my 17th sensor with no skin problems - but I guess it's not really anything to talk about ;)

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am putting this down partially to site and partially to glue changes of some description. The sticky pad is no longer sticky after 11 days and appears to have muck and mould growing on it, probably due to getting damp in the shower because it was lifting slightly. Fortunately no skin reaction, but it would explain the itchiness. Look away now if squeamish.

481f864084a695ea158887c83ce7eeb8.jpg
**** Tim, hope your arm looks more healthy than that !! Looks like debris from a zombie slayer movie. :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hmmm. Abbott have been particularly useless this time around on despatching my new sensors. Ordered late on Friday, they haven't yet moved to despatched. It will have taken them over a week to deliver. Grrrrr. :mad::mad:

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why are you almost all talking about using special plasters, surgical tapes etc between the sensor and your skin?

It's not that they don't work, it's that a large number of people suffer a contact dermatitis from the adhesive and therefore need a solution in order to keep using the sensors.

There are also lots of people (presumably most people) that don't suffer this, but it's a surprisingly high number that do.