FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just searched all my data exports (over a year's worth) and there are no 2.1s or below. It bottoms out at 2.2

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I believe it says in the Manual that LO is less than 2.2 and I think HI is higher than 22.

Reactions: 2 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tim I like that you say 'believe', we can almost believe you read the manual!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I believe it says in the Manual that LO is less than 2.2 and I think HI is higher than 22.

The User's Manual says a LO result on the Reader is lower than 1.1mmol/l and a HI is 27.8mmol/l or higher, the manual says you can touch the message button for more information but you should test your bg with a test strip. (p46)

Correction, page 46 is for bg testing on the meter, page 24 says a LO reading from the sensor is lower than 2.2mmol/l and a HI reading is higher than 27.8mmol/l.

Reactions: 3 people

Griffter15

I think I'm still on the fence as to whether it is worth the money.

To those of you currently using this, do you tend to always carry you bg monitor with you at all times? Or do you feel comfortable going to gym / work etc with just the libre providing you don't need to drive anywhere?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

To those of you currently using this, do you tend to always carry you bg monitor with you at all times? Or do you feel comfortable going to gym / work etc with just the libre providing you don't need to drive anywhere?
I feel quite comfortable not carrying test strips unless I am travelling away. I do random spot checks on the Libre to get a sense of how well it's reading compared to blood, but usually find it accurate enough to bolus from. I don't drive so that's not an issue.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

I blood test usually once a day to check the sensor is still behaving and "head calibrate", and then generally ignore the blood kit unless I really need to use it.

Desbrina

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I have my meter with me simply because of the bolus calculator. Once i get the libre set up for it i won't need it, just need to keep a few strips with the libre for when needed

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Errr...no need to carry a separate meter, the Libre is a BG meter as well, just use Freestyle optium testing strips - and just like any other meter a scan and a blood test result don't always match 100%

Griffter15

Great thanks for the advice. I think im ready to take the plunge. It's definitely going to be a big comfort sometimes like when I go on holiday and break your normal routines on eating and exercise.

I'm sure this has come up a lit before but presume nobody managed to get the nhs to fund the sensors instead of test strips.

I test 10 times a day maybe more so I think it would cost around the same

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great thanks for the advice. I think im ready to take the plunge. It's definitely going to be a big comfort sometimes like when I go on holiday and break your normal routines on eating and exercise.

I'm sure this has come up a lit before but presume nobody managed to get the nhs to fund the sensors instead of test strips.

I test 10 times a day maybe more so I think it would cost around the same
They are not currently available on the NHS

nskelton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seen someones video on Vimeo where he had a sensor losing its adhesiveness and a new sensor with a spare reader claiming that when it begins to lose its adhesiveness the results vary a lot.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

It's only worth the money if you get something out of using the Libre, unfortunately you can't find that out until you purchase it.

I carry a bg monitor with me at all times as it's part of my insulin pump (Omnipod) so if I was ever in doubt about a Libre reading I'd check my bg levels, but as the Libre doubles up as a bg meter as well it's possible to go out for short journeys without a separate bg meter.

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I applied my first sensor 16 days ago. So far I have had no adhesive issues. I am still scanning the sensor with the Glimp app. I get a ball park figure with all devices,( libre and finger sticks) and I find it comforting to get a quick reading when out and about.

Griffter15

I applied my first sensor 16 days ago. So far I have had no adhesive issues. I am still scanning the sensor with the Glimp app. I get a ball park figure with all devices,( libre and finger sticks) and I find it comforting to get a quick reading when out and about.
Hi, what is the glimp app? Can you use your phone as a receiver?

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
GLIMP has allowed me to extend my sensors life, as abbott automatically finishes after 14 days.

When I use Glimp I finger test before insulin, but Glimp is good to do a quick scan when I am out and about, and I start to wonder if I am high or low.

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just out of interest how long after the 14 days has someone had the sensor still reading with this app?

I let you know when my current one stops, but I expect Abbott will ensure in future that after 14 days no-one can read it as they may lose revenue.