FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am now officially grumpy, and the clock is ticking until an email directly to the Chief Exec of Abbott Laboratories.

Yes, I can be this horrid when stirred.

Why offer any form of email support then give it all a decent ignoring? The email will be a classic of our time. Trust me.

Actually, I just realised they don't even publish the Chief Exec's name, it goes to some other sucker, but I'll find it.

Move over Sherlock.:pompous:

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I stopped using the libre last year due to the skin reactions that have been mentioned on this thread regularly. I have run a search on this thread with no results for what I'm searching.

I've gone over six months without using them, and as I had two sensors left I tucked them in the cupboard to try again later. Having put one on a week ago, I'm finding there's currently no itchiness or marking.

Does anyone have any information as to whether Abbott have made any changes to the adhesive over the last 6 months. I know that quite a lot of us reported problems with them, but have seen nothing concrete on any changes.
I actually believe that they changed the glue formula sometime during spring 2015, as we had been so many reporting allergic reactions/eczema at the first many months after market launch. After this, no itching and no allergy skin reaction. It also became much better attached, especially while in bath/swimming. IMHO...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks Tim, I already had all of them via a different route, but they're all in the US, so less likely to be too interested. I have the head honcho in UK, who doesn't have the CEO label, but he'll do.

I hate it when the red mist descends. I mean, you can see what it's doing to my bloods!

IMG_1409.JPG

OK. I thought not!

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Tim, I already had all of them via a different route, but they're all in the US, so less likely to be too interested. I have the head honcho in UK, who doesn't have the CEO label, but he'll do.

I hate it when the red mist descends. I mean, you can see what it's doing to my bloods!

View attachment 17822

OK. I thought not!
AndBreathe, At least you still have a pulse and a healthy sense of humor!! ;o)

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sending that email, I feel aaaaallll better now. In fact, I feel all pink and fluffy again. :)

I mean, I don't even need a cat to kick any more. ;)

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, only just come across this thread! (don't come here often)
Could any users of the Freestyle Libre summarise their experience with it? Rather than me trawling through nearly 200 pages!

Thinking of getting one for sporadic use as it would be far cheaper than the Contour CGMs I very occasionally use.

JanS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I obtained my reader and sensor in January 2016 after getting on the waiting list in September 2015. I found that the sensors are very easy to knock off and at a cost of £48 per sensor is expensive, I also had one faulty sensor. Abbott replaced the faulty one and now being able to order 6 at a time is a lot easier. As a 60 + and no longer working the cost is huge but the benefits of the device are great. We are travelling at the moment and apart from not going through the machine at the airport everything is going well. Would like to know when adults can have these sensors on prescription also.

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re your quote, yea but how accurate did Emmotha find them in the end? (I only read the 1st 13pages so don't know what happened after her 1st dodgy sensor).

How accurate are you finding them?
What did the faulty sensor do?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I obtained my reader and sensor in January 2016 after getting on the waiting list in September 2015. I found that the sensors are very easy to knock off and at a cost of £48 per sensor is expensive, I also had one faulty sensor. Abbott replaced the faulty one and now being able to order 6 at a time is a lot easier. As a 60 + and no longer working the cost is huge but the benefits of the device are great. We are travelling at the moment and apart from not going through the machine at the airport everything is going well. Would like to know when adults can have these sensors on prescription also.

I don't dodge the airport sensor. Were you advised that by anyone, or just avoiding it, just in case?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For anyone unable to sleep for worry over Abbott being staffed like the Marie Celeste, I can confirm that the UK Head Honcho has responded to me, so the doors haven't been closed.

I'm guessing there'll be more of a response tomorrow. :)

That'll be my tantrum over for today/this week/this month/this year*. (*. Apply the metric you think most fitting. ;). )

vicki.milne

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, only just come across this thread! (don't come here often)
Could any users of the Freestyle Libre summarise their experience with it? Rather than me trawling through nearly 200 pages!

Thinking of getting one for sporadic use as it would be far cheaper than the Contour CGMs I very occasionally use.

My 11 year old son has been using the Libre since November 2015.
It's been a god-send tbh and would struggle without it now, it really does make things so much easier.
We've never had one fall off before the two weeks have been up (we've not used any rocktape or tegaderm over the top) nor had a skin reaction (we've not used compeed or anything underneath) nor had a faulty sensor.
The readings have to be taken with a pinch of salt in our experience. If his levels are in range and going in an even straight line then they tend to be fairly reliable but the higher he is and dropping or rising fast then the more out the reading is, as much as 5mmol+ out. As a general rule of thumb we always assume that the reading is at least 1mmol out and if the reader says he's about 5mmol and dropping fast he's probably already hypo (due to the 15 min time lag).
Overall though, the trends and knowing whether his BG is rising or falling and at what speed is its main benefit for us and has been invaluable particularly in terms of general sugar surfing and planning snacks and activities out.
It is expensive but we've made cuts elsewhere as it makes life so much easier.
I hope this answers any questions you may have about it.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually believe that they changed the glue formula sometime during spring 2015, as we had been so many reporting allergic reactions/eczema at the first many months after market launch. After this, no itching and no allergy skin reaction. It also became much better attached, especially while in bath/swimming. IMHO...

I suspect that the next pair of sensors I order maybe the changed adhesive if it was changed

The sensor (first in over a year it seems) has just timed out. I've removed it to find a red mark commensurate with having a sticking plaster on for a fortnight. No problems with it sticking either. I'm not going to install another one now for a couple of weeks as the information given by this one has showed my basal to be fine overnight and the insulin profile after food to be as I expected.

I shall miss it around the golf course as my sugars tend to wander a bit whilst playing but feel that one sensor a month will give me the information I need.

Now to see how long the mark takes to fade...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've asked this question of the customer services agents a number of times (and the staff on booths at trade shows) and they are adamant that the adhesive has not changed.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm still using the libre. I've learned to take the readings with a pinch of salt. Some sensors are great, some you could only use as a guide. You learn how your body works with them and if you treat each sensor with different logic it's fine. Had a few days and weeks off here and there and feel totally lost without it

Reactions: 6 people