1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Sheffield University are conducting a study on food and activity logging among people with type 2 diabetes. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Emmotha, Oct 16, 2014.

1. WillHellens

WillHellens Type 1 · Newbie

Hi,

I generally notice a discrepancy of c10% either way and only find this to be a slight issue when bloods are on the low side tending toward hypo.

I've only had one dodgy sensor when the adhesive failed and Abbot replaced sensor immediately.

I've been using the sensors for 7 months now and use the freestyle libre as my main meter.

2. NikiMilligan

NikiMilligan Type 2 · Active Member

Yes - big time!
    I’ve had several sensors, and with all but one it has generally been about 50% out (it shrieks most of the time that I have low BS, displaying ‘LO’ whilst fingerprick using the same machine and their test strips says 5.6 or so.
    Almost unknown for less than a 40% difference, but I do seem to be a minority.
    Seems to be a personal physiology thing going on - I’ve actually about to start taking magnesium, as low magnesium prevents the glucose going from your blood into your cells. And I’m going to wear a Libre while I do it to see if I’ve figured out my issue!

3. michelejane

michelejane Type 1 · Member

I'm timing it so that I apply my sensor before I shall be doing a day of physical work outdoors on monday. so much better than having to prick fingers etc when I am not indoors. I could only afford to buy one sensor as got the money as a christmas gift, I have used them before but it takes a while to save up for them. Ultimately, I need to test my basals without getting sore fingers!

4. SamElliott1997

SamElliott1997 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Constantly at least 15% higher than actual blood glucose measured using 2 different meters that are with each other.

5. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do wonder about the accuracy of these sensors compared with a meter

6. Florence5

Florence5 Type 1 · Member

I have only been on the Freestyle for 7 weeks and absolutely love it. I feel it gives lower readings than on my glucometer but each glucometer gives a slightly different reading anyway. I have 2 different ones and have now decided to trust the Freesyle and go from there.
    Florence5

• Like Like x 1
  7. NikiMilligan

NikiMilligan Type 2 · Active Member

Bought 3 Libres at the end of August (can’t afford to use all the time) 1 to use immediately, one in case I got a chest infection and needed steroids, and one for general educational purposes.

Just gone to put on the second one, only to discover it expired in October.

Gutted! Not least, because it means I can never have an emergency one in stock again for my asthma management, not with a 2 month expiry.

Oh well, there a hundred quid I won’t see again!

8. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Did you put on the expired sensor to see if it worked? You never know!
    2 months seems an awful short time, I wonder if they sent you older stock. (I hasten to add that I don't use the Libre.)

• Like Like x 1
  9. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

An out of date sensor will still work, it's accuracy might be a bit suspect - but then again it might be perfectly spot on.

Abbott did go through a spell of having short expiry dates - mainly due to stock level issues, but that appears to be fixed now and expiry dates are pretty much 6 months at least now.

10. videoman

videoman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If its good enough for the PM its good enough for us?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook