FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well with this sensor I can't rely on it at all as it swings from -3 to +1.5 out and my blood readings only fluctuate 2mmol. It's completely inaccurate regardless of it measuring a different thing, it has no correlation / indication or reflection whatsoever to what is important to diabetes and that is blood sugar.

I'm tired of people saying we have to accept it's a different measure. Yes I accept that and as with my other sensors I expect it to be different, but not like this. I know when it is not right

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Agreed Emmotha, those readings are terrible and you should be onto Abbott asap.

I was making the point that sensor accuracy won't be a point for recall due to it not being classified as blood glucose monitoring.

Reactions: 2 people

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is inconsistency that is the main frustration. You run a couple of sensors back to back that work and you allow yourself to rely on it. You get that glimpse of what could be and the big difference it could make. Then you get one that is erratic and it is so disappointing.

This then leads to lots of questions to try and think of answers. Is it a production fault, did I put it in the wrong place somehow?

Like with the contact dermatitis we are now looking to try barrier creams or anything that will allow us to keep using.

To an outsider reading this forum we must sound strange. One minute praise and the next week hate, but I think it is more looking for hope when you have a condition for life.

I was diagnosed a year ago tomorrow and I am still trying to deal with it. I have no idea how the guys who have had this long term managed with the test tube kits and reusable needles. I do have hope the Libre is a sign of the way things are going and as tech is focusing more and more on health, things will get much better in the year(s) to come.

Now to go and eat my barley porridge. If one thing, the Libre has taught me normal porridge is not good for my bg but this is a good alternative.

Happy New Year, fingers crossed the bugs are ironed out and the barrier cream works.

Reactions: 4 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is inconsistency that is the main frustration. You run a couple of sensors back to back that work and you allow yourself to rely on it. You get that glimpse of what could be and the big difference it could make. Then you get one that is erratic and it is so disappointing.
You've hit the nail on the head. My last few have been brill, but it becomes an unreliable system when every so often you can't trust them, because then you can never trust them. And for £100 per month I'm wondering whether it's worth the continued use. With this dodgy sensor I'm now finger pricking as much as I did before and it means that every 1-4 days out of 14 we might have inaccuracy, which makes the total data worthless too.
I really hope they fix it soon as when it does work it's absolutely amazing and I've learned so much. I can barely cope without a good sensor now I'm just feeling lost lol

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@darrenh04 - you've summed up exactly my feelings on this. My first two sensors were very erratic like Emmotha's current one. This one (6) is mostly accurate but has the odd moments when it is a long long way out in either direction. The others have been pretty spot on. Does this mean I can rely on it even when I have an accurate sensor? No, because I know it CAN be a long way out in either direction for no reason. For me, the directional arrows have never worked. It tells me I'm stable (moving slowly) but I've then climbed or dropped significantly 10 minutes later - just not quickly enough for it to be calculated and shown on the Libre. The only time I see an arrow other than horizontal is when I correct a hypo. Those of you who have not yet had a bad sensor won't understand this - you'll continue to think it's just about time lags and differences with BG monitoring until you experience the frustration of having a pretty useless piece of plastic attached to your arm causing you a skin irritation but nothing more LOL.

The skin irritation is so so frustrating. It's also inexcusable. It is not beyond the wit of man to use an adhesive that doesn't cause this reaction - they knew there was a strong likelihood of this reaction in a high proportion of people - you only have to read the Navigator forums to know that they have known about this issue for a long time. In fact, someone reported it to the American equivalent of our MHRC last September - it wasn't even released in the States, but they recorded it because it uses the same adhesive as the Navigator which they are already concerned about and are tracking. Abbott could have invested some time and money into testing barrier methods to make sure it is fit for purpose - they didn't bother and quite frankly are not too concerned about the issue. And let's be clear, these issues are potentially very serious to our health - infections etc will push up our BG making it harder to heal - that's not acceptable in a product for diabetics!

Like Emmotha, I'm really frustrated that the data I get is not consistent - I need consistency if I'm going to use it to adjust parameters and improve my control. I have stopped keeping my manual detailed spreadsheet that I've used since diagnosis 5 years ago and have been relying on the Libre data downloaded to a spreadsheet. Once this sensor ends, I'll resurrect my manual spreadsheet which means I'll need to return to fasting, before food, after food and before bed BG readings. Once I'm testing 7 times a day again, is the value left in the Libre equivalent to £100 per month? Probably not.

Yet I'm still desperate to keep using this device. I like the comfort of scanning whenever I want - it calms me down, makes me feel less anxious. Maybe it's just become a security blanket! So, my current plan is to wean myself off it. Start testing 7 times a day again, resurrect my manual spreadsheet and once that's all in place and I'm used to it again, go a month without the Libre. Although if my arm is bad under the current sensor, I won't be attaching another immediately anyway.

Smidge

Reactions: 3 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely, Smidge.

On the inaccuracy, are we clear that it's an issue of manufacture/quality control? My first three sensors were very inaccurate, and I'd begun to think that they just didn't work well with all users. But nos four and five have been a dream. So some of the sensors clearly are much more accurate than others.

As Smidge and Emmotha said, I'm not talking now about the interstitial fluid vs blood and timelag issues.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think we are clear on what causes the inaccuracy Lucy. It's obviously not just individual physiology because several of us have had good and bad sensors, so it does point to an issue with manufacture, storage etc. However, I have no confidence that Abbott are on this - I have never managed to speak to anyone of a 'third line' or above at Abbott - I just speak to helpdesk, first-line staff who look on their script and tell me I'm the first to report these issues. Every time. It seems to me that Abbott does not want to engage on an intelligent level with those of us who have experience of using this device. If they were actively doing this I would hold out hope for the system being improved and the issues addressed with later releases. I see no evidence of this. Is there a Libre user group? Is there an escalation path to speak to intelligent knowledgeable support staff? Is there a feedback loop for the users to be kept informed of progress on their issues? The answer seems to be 'No' to all of these, so it looks to me like Abbott are not looking to engage with their early-adopters in any meaningful way. My experiences of both Roche and Sanoffi-Aventis when I've had to contact them have been very different - knowledgeable, informed staff and excellent feedback. Abbott really need to step up to the mark.

Smidge

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sensor is still dodgy. And hurts.
I'm on day 4 holding out for it to get better but I don't think it will.
Do you think I should replace it?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you have tested it against blood tests and documented it all I don't see why you shouldn't. And when Abbott ask, say it is still in.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are already sending a replacement, but for some reason I thought I'd leave it in until the new one arrives and see if it springs back to life

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I did that with my first two Emmotha. They never improved and now I can't think for the life of me why I kept them on LOL. The sensor is doing you no good and if it's hurting or itchy it might actually be doing you harm. Knowing what I know now about skin irritation etc, I'd remove that sensor immediately. Bad enough to risk skin issues for one that's working well!

Smidge

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a new error on the scanner during a Cycle ride stop. To be fair my standby meter (IBGSTAR) also did not function due to the temperature.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1420383386.086675.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1420383404.204913.jpg

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had the cold warning too. Quite soon came back.

I've just taken the dodgy sensor off. It's the first one that's still had fresh blood upon removal. Could that be why?

image.jpg

Also, the new one hurt on insertion more than usual. Could be be a dodgy too? I'm paranoid now

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have to admit I'm surprised you were still bleeding this far post insertion!

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to say, that the skin irritation issue is not limited to those who have been using it for an extended period. I bought the start pack with two sensors back at the start of November. One sensor I used straight away, and it was brilliant - always within acceptable accuracy.

I saved my second sensor to use over Christmas, I started it on the 18th December. For the first week it was fine. On Christmas Day it started to become less accurate - it read 3.7, so I did a blood test because I felt fine - and BG was 4.9. I started drinking lots of water in case I was dehydrated, but over the next 24 hours it became less and less accurate. On Boxing Day morning, it was 2 off and showed I'd been hypo all night (again I felt fine), by Boxing Day evening it was 4 points out - scan of 5 compared with actual BG of 9. This wasn't time lag or anything, the Libre was just reading a lot lower. I also started to feel an itch, and having read the posts on here, decided to remove it as what use is a reading that's up to 4 points wrong? I had a red patch under where the sensor had been and a fair bit of inflammation.

As I'd only had one sensor before, this wasn't repeated exposure to the adhesive - my first sensor had been removed about 5 weeks before. I'm currently trying to push Abbott for a replacement/refund, because I only got one week's use - but they won't do anything til I've seen my GP. By the time I get an appointment there isn't going to be much left for him to look at! I'll wait to see if they tell me I'm the first to report this :)

winephil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cities and crowds
I was very keen to get one when I saw the advert in Balance Nov Dec but since reading your comments I think I will wait a bit longer. Also I see fthe inyterney that Abbott UK and Abbott France have no starter packs available. I live in France..

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I take your "my sensor is inaccurate" and raise you "my strip reader on the scanner no longer works". I'm not sure which is more annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had exactly the same issue as you have shown in your video. Also the blue button became unresponsive. I contacted Abbott and got a replacement.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@tim2000s - make sure they send you a new sensor as well - the replacement scanner won't work with the one you have active. I guess it will mess up all your data as well. What a pain.

Smidge

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@smidge Thanks for the advice. I'm not overly concerned about the data as that has mostly been exported and it gives me a chance to start anew with full carb and insulin recording which I had been a little haphazard with.