CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
300 blood strips every 28 days £95.94
(These would no longer be needed at all).
I think you would need to change this as you do still need test strips.
DVLA do not accept the Libre readings
Instructions state you have to check with finger test when rapid rise and fall of blood sugars.

Reactions: 2 people

Micky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe the Libre also comes with traditional test strips for manual checks as well.

Reactions: 4 people

iHs

As yet the Libre is still waiting to be launched. The deciding factor on whether to fund it will be based on cost and accuracy and not so much on ease of use. I would guess that due to cost, most people will use the Libre for 2 weeks and then revert back to bg meter again for the next 2 weeks. Whether the Libre is accurate, remains to be seen.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
As yet the Libre is still waiting to be launched. The deciding factor on whether to fund it will be based on cost and accuracy and not so much on ease of use. I would guess that due to cost, most people will use the Libre for 2 weeks and then revert back to bg meter again for the next 2 weeks. Whether the Libre is accurate, remains to be seen.

Totally agree.... However from a CCG point of view, they fund pumps and cgm's.... A different budget to GP's and strips....although they are all NHS Different budgets.

Letter is based upon trying to help people to also minimise complications... Again.. CCG's never factor these figures into theirbudgets

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From what I understand from Libre videos, the main 2 drawbacks compared to dexcom (for me) are:
1) no alarms (life savers for me)
2) you lose your history readings if you don't swipe the receiver for at least 8h (ie, no sleeping in)
2a) as I understand, Libre gives you a new reading every 1 minute, but the historical "trend line" is made out of 15-minute averages (compared to 5-minute in dexcom). This may not be a big issue, but worth keeping in mind (in my opinion).
2b) some people mentioned that it's not possible to get your raw data out of the app? I don't know if it's true. This would be a deal breaker for me, as I use another app that combines a lot of other info together (bg, insulin, activity, etc).

D

Deleted member 83869

How would a CGM or libre work for a pumper though?? i.e someone on the combo like me? I have been told by @donnellysdogs that I could benefit from the libre...but I am just confused

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Cgm's are normally only given to pumpers.. (Or self funded by pumpers) as they give continuous guidance on what your levels are. They will alarm if levels start to raise or lower too quickly and let you see more detailed graphs of what is happening on a constant basis.

The new libre will allow the user to scan the sensor and see the previous 8hr patterns without having to test. So, if like me my OH goes to work at 4.50 he wouldn't wake me up to get me to test before he left-he could just scan me!! I could then check the previous 8 hours sleep and see what raises or lowering that has occurred and this will let me fine tune my levels overnight without having to test. And same for daytime.

When out in gardens ..(my example) I wouldn't need to stop, find an outdoor tap to wash hands, hope meter isn't too hot or cold from being in car..
It will enable convenience to look at all your patterns rather than just specific times so would allow greater detailed basal changes. (Will be great with new Roche pump allowing 15 minute adjustments to basals).

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How did the trial continue for you @sofaraway ?
I am possibly going to invest in a libre in the short term. I was originally starting on an animas vibe next week but due to staff illness the date has been delayed indefinitely. I was also getting a months trial of dexcom but this would be after my pump start when I was used to the pump.
Due to lower outlay costing for the libre I am considering investing in one, especially as my dexcom start is much further away.

1. Do the sensors actually stay put for the two weeks?
2. Is accuracy acceptable?

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How did the trial continue for you @sofaraway ?
I am possibly going to invest in a libre in the short term. I was originally starting on an animas vibe next week but due to staff illness the date has been delayed indefinitely. I was also getting a months trial of dexcom but this would be after my pump start when I was used to the pump.
Due to lower outlay costing for the libre I am considering investing in one, especially as my dexcom start is much further away.

1. Do the sensors actually stay put for the two weeks?
2. Is accuracy acceptable?

bearMedicine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dieting :)
@ConradJ I use a preparation called skin tac to cover the adhesive tape on the sensor then let it dry then put a patch of either Hydrofilm or Tegaderm film over the adhesive to keep it dry and stopping the edges from being peeled back. The film I remove completely once a week and replace. The actual sensor is micro fine and even being in for 4 weeks has not left a mark or caused infection. The sensor has to stay put, once removed that's the end of it as no way of reinserting it.

@CarbsRok Hi can you please explain this more fully? I've just started using a Libre. So do you put Skin Tac on the sensor adhesive itself? Or do you apply as per instructions and then cover with Skin Tac and the Tegaderm over the entire unit?

Many thanks! :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@CarbsRok Hi can you please explain this more fully? I've just started using a Libre. So do you put Skin Tac on the sensor adhesive itself? Or do you apply as per instructions and then cover with Skin Tac and the Tegaderm over the entire unit?

Many thanks! :)
I have no idea what the instructions for the Libre are as never used it :) But for my CGM sensor I cover the sticky side of the tape with skin tac then place on my arm. I then soak the top of the tape and surrounding area let it go tacky before placing some Hydrofilm/tegaderm cut to shape onto the tape as close to the sensor as possible. Instructions for CGM are do not cover the transmitter.
Hope that helps :)
PS you wont get any more than 14 days from your sensor as that's the way it has been manufactured. Dexcom is a law unto it's self as to how long it lasts for :)

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@bearMedicine you shouldn't need anything on top of the libre as it stays stuck very well. I've been using it since release and only had one come loose and Abbott replaced it as faulty. Just be careful what you shower in (no oily products etc)

If you are really worried you can use Opsite tape (got mine from Amazon just in case) and follow the instructions to tape over the sensor if it comes loose. Rock tape and the tapes mentioned above would be fine too.

iHs

@bearMedicine you shouldn't need anything on top of the libre as it stays stuck very well. I've been using it since release and only had one come loose and Abbott replaced it as faulty. Just be careful what you shower in (no oily products etc)

If you are really worried you can use Opsite tape (got mine from Amazon just in case) and follow the instructions to tape over the sensor if it comes loose. Rock tape and the tapes mentioned above would be fine too.

Was wondering why you are not using Dexcom G4 cgm with the Vibe pump as surely its got to work out cheaper in the long run?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@iHs I'm not sure it is cheaper (according to the people who have costed it on other forums) but the problem with CGM is that once you start you can't stop - or at least it would be wasting money to do so. With libre I can take a break for several weeks if I fancy and no financial loss. With libre I don;t have to worry about trying to make the unit last longer either, which is the only way it is financially comparable. I have concerns about doing that with cgm and having site issues. Also friends and family have bought me sensors as presents as they are just about affordable as a treat and that's not something I could do with cgm!

Libre is much easier insertion (I was very worried about the cgm) and much more discreet. I'm not hypo unaware so I wouldn't gain anything with Dexcom over Libre as I don't need the alarms.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Also friends and family have bought me sensors as presents as they are just about affordable as a treat and that's not something I could do with cgm!
The dex sensors are £46 if four bought at once of £50 for single ones they also last well over 4 weeks each so a lot cheaper than the Libre.

bearMedicine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dieting :)
Was wondering why you are not using Dexcom G4 cgm with the Vibe pump as surely its got to work out cheaper in the long run?
I'm not T1 but got the Libre to see what my overnight sugars are like since I recently went on insulin. A bit frivolous I suppose but I'm really keen on getting good control since I've been in the diabetes wilderness for a while! :)

iHs

@iHs I'm not sure it is cheaper (according to the people who have costed it on other forums) but the problem with CGM is that once you start you can't stop - or at least it would be wasting money to do so. With libre I can take a break for several weeks if I fancy and no financial loss. With libre I don;t have to worry about trying to make the unit last longer either, which is the only way it is financially comparable. I have concerns about doing that with cgm and having site issues. Also friends and family have bought me sensors as presents as they are just about affordable as a treat and that's not something I could do with cgm!

Libre is much easier insertion (I was very worried about the cgm) and much more discreet. I'm not hypo unaware so I wouldn't gain anything with Dexcom over Libre as I don't need the alarms.

Hi Thanks for explaining how you feel. My bg control is fairly good and when using the 7 day cgm, the MARD was 9% which is meant to be very good but I bg tested every 2hrs and the bg level waasnt that much different to the cgm reading so the accuracy is looking good.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@CarbsRok each Libre sensor is £48 regardless of quantity so not a huge amount in it. Plus I can normally only afford to buy 2 at a time max so easier for me. Once the libre subscription service is launched will be even cheaper too.

Still much more about the insertion for me though. I felt sick watching the dexcom insertion (needle phobic) but no issue with the libre. Totally painless too!