Freestyle libre sensor fell off!

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else had a sensor come away about 1 week into using it. I used freestyle libre last year for some running events and it never fell off - in fact I had to try and rench it off. I have started events again but the last few sensors I have purchased haven't lasted more than a week! Now that works out about 50 quid a week! They don't stick on as well. I will be complaining but I won't have any hope of getting a sensor for about a month from abott. Am I being a grump or does anyone else feel abbott has them over a barrel because what other option do you have but to pay for a sensor AND now wait for the product as well!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Has anyone else had a sensor come away about 1 week into using it. I used freestyle libre last year for some running events and it never fell off - in fact I had to try and rench it off. I have started events again but the last few sensors I have purchased haven't lasted more than a week! Now that works out about 50 quid a week! They don't stick on as well. I will be complaining but I won't have any hope of getting a sensor for about a month from abott. Am I being a grump or does anyone else feel abbott has them over a barrel because what other option do you have but to pay for a sensor AND now wait for the product as well!

They are prioritising deliveries to pharmacies due to their agreement with the NHS. Ask at Boots, Lloyds or an Asda pharmacy and you can usually get them on order within a couple of days.

Do ask the price in advance, not all pharmacists have cottoned on to the fact that diabetics don't pay VAT.

Edited:- I've had 1 sensor fall off a day before its expiry.

Reactions: Bon83

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I never use a sensor without a generous patch of tegaderm over it just to be sure . And give Abbott a phone call, they might replace your sensor. 20180401_234201.jpg

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your help everyone. I will ask at a pharmacy. I'm not asking for the libre on prescription -which may sound crazy I know but it doesn't suit me for my everyday needs and I do not want to go down the road of it replacing test strips. Last year abbot were really happy to help as they needed my cash. Now they have a golden ticket with the nhs they sent a pretty snotty email reply when I asked (politely) about estimated delivery - quoting I "knew the situation when I purchased the product". I know how much of an advantage the sensor is but personally I don't think abbots product is actually that good - I use it for longer runs when I can because there isn't anything else (unless there is any other sensors on the market? ??). Sorry to sound so cynical so early on a bank holiday Monday :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thank you for your help everyone. I will ask at a pharmacy. I'm not asking for the libre on prescription -which may sound crazy I know but it doesn't suit me for my everyday needs and I do not want to go down the road of it replacing test strips. Last year abbot were really happy to help as they needed my cash. Now they have a golden ticket with the nhs they sent a pretty snotty email reply when I asked (politely) about estimated delivery - quoting I "knew the situation when I purchased the product". I know how much of an advantage the sensor is but personally I don't think abbots product is actually that good - I use it for longer runs when I can because there isn't anything else (unless there is any other sensors on the market? ??). Sorry to sound so cynical so early on a bank holiday Monday :)

If you're looking for alternatives you can Google Dexcom G5 - it works out more expensive but I believe the product quality is better (I haven't actually used it).

For functionality @Scott-C is using a device which sits on top of the Libre and effectively turns it from FGM to CGM with the aid of a smartphone. I think it's called Nightrider but I could be wrong.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will Google this - sounds interesting thanks

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Bon83 . Definitely research Dexcom. Running costs are slightly higher but information and quality are probably far superior.
The modification that Scott can advise on is also a much better option and source of information.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Bon83 . Definitely research Dexcom. Running costs are slightly higher but information and quality are probably far superior.
The modification that Scott can advise on is also a much better option and source of information.
I will definitely look into dexcom thanks

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do feel I am being a little defeatist with the libre - it has helped me an was useful (once I learned more about how it works). There are things about it I don't like. . But that's a personal thing. I find the arrows and messages annoying sometimes. However I just really lost my temper with it when it came off - really easily this time. It frustrates me that abbott MAY replace this one but I will have to wait ages. I paid a lot of money for it - if it was a kettle or toaster from a shop I would be in there and getting another right away!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I do feel I am being a little defeatist with the libre - it has helped me an was useful (once I learned more about how it works). There are things about it I don't like. . But that's a personal thing. I find the arrows and messages annoying sometimes. However I just really lost my temper with it when it came off - really easily this time. It frustrates me that abbott MAY replace this one but I will have to wait ages. I paid a lot of money for it - if it was a kettle or toaster from a shop I would be in there and getting another right away!

One reason to buy from a Pharmacy - if you have a problem then your contract is with them and you can take it back.

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've sent 3 back for coming off, and 2 back for the plastic bit / needle part not inserting correctly. I pay for them too so it's really annoying!

Gotta remember things will only get better with them as things are relatively new still

Jovifreak

Ive had mine on for just over a week..ive just woken up and its fallen off...i tested with it an hour ago. I hadnt paid it was a freebie from my dr to get a better idea of my bs over 2 weeks.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive had mine on for just over a week..ive just woken up and its fallen off...i tested with it an hour ago. I hadnt paid it was a freebie from my dr to get a better idea of my bs over 2 weeks.
Did you try something like the Skin Tac wipes to make it more secure? A T1 at our support group was given a two week Libre trial but hasn't been able to get one after that. Makes you wonder what was the point of the trial. Hope, if it helps you, that you have more luck.