Type 1 Freestyle libre sensor location

claire mccann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I’ve just signed up for a freestyle libre and I was wondering if people have tried other sensor locations other than on the upper arm which is quite obvious?

Personally I’d prefer to locate sensor on my back, thigh or worst case inner arm. Have people had success with any of these locations please?

Thanks
Claire

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are a number of threads about alternative locations.
The results seem to be good but they are not supported by Abbott so if the sensors falls off or has any issues you are less likely to get a replacement.
You need to place it on a flat area as the sensor does not bend (I know that sound obvious but I was placing mine on the edge of my bicep and it was falling off).
Some people have reported good results when placing their sensor on their chest. I have no tried this as I do not have enough fat for the filament.

Take a look around the forum - the search function on the top right of the page is very useful - for ideas.

If you are new to Libre, please please please the threads about the limitations and how to use the data it provides. If you expect it to replace finger pricks you will be disappointed but if you learn the value of the data you can gain amazing insights.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Think about how you sit etc during the day. My car seat sometimes presses on my sensor same as my sofa arm. It doesn't affect it working but can be very slightly painful. Also make sure your bedding isn't to hard depending on where you place the sensor. I use my upper arm towards the back as per Abbott's leaflet which is fine.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
Mine is on the under arm just above the armpit.
I find the readings are as accurate as when i had it on the upper arm.

Good luck

Tony