1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle Libre sensor not being read correctly

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by brucie75, Oct 7, 2020.

1. brucie75

brucie75 Type 1 · Member

Hi

During the last month or so, my Librelink app on my phone has increasingly not been able to take readings from my sensor. I have had used 3 sensors during this time, and have had the same problem in varying degrees with each sensor. Because of this, I have had gaps in the 24-hour graphs on the app. The error messages are either "The smartphone was unable to scan the sensor" (Scan error 335) or "Glucose reading is unavailable" (Sensor error 373). It still takes readings without any problem on occasions though so I know the sensor is still working.

I replaced my smartphone at the end of August - this does seem to be when the problems started. My previous smartphone was ok. Is it possibly my new phone causing these issues?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

David

2. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Is it an iPhone by chance? I've heard there have been issues caused by the latest updates by Apple.

3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

You might want to try holding a different part of your phone to your sensor.
    Took me a while to find out the best spot fot my phones. With both my Samsungs it worked best when I held the top back flat against it, with my Huawei it works best to press the top end to it.

4. Bucksgirl

Bucksgirl · Member

Hi David, I had this problem with my iPhone 7, caused by a glitch with the Libre update apparently. Not being funny but have you tried turning the phone fully off and on again? Fixed it for me.

5. Glucobabu

Glucobabu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Libre functionality on my iPhone 7 has gone quite haywire over the last month or so. Sometimes it doesn’t scan at all or gives a reading after repeated scans. Often the reading is on the screen but it’s still telling to scan and the ‘ping’ registers after 15/20 seconds delay. The screen flips over 2/3 times showing the same result multiple times. The Libre helpline advised me to update my iPhone which I did but made no difference. It works intermittently and it seems I’ll have to learn to live with this! My guess is Freestyle’s latest update has messed things up for older iPhones!

6. lgrenter

lgrenter Type 1 · Member

I have been having the same kind of problems as you all report. I have put it down to the last apple update. My phone updated before I updated the libre app. Once updated it could not seem to scan the sensor on first try like before. I just press cancel and then it finds it straight away second go! I updated the app thinking this would sort it but it’s still the same. Also notice that sometimes I don’t get a ping or vibration on scan now....shows no reading and then suddenly appears when away from sensor!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. brucie75

brucie75 Type 1 · Member

This does sound quite familiar to the problems I am having. I have a Samsung A20 which, I think, is quite a new phone. Correct me if I'm wrong! My previous phone was a Nokia 5 but I did not have these problems at that time.

8. brucie75

brucie75 Type 1 · Member

No, it's a Samsung A20e.

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. brucie75

brucie75 Type 1 · Member

I have a Samsung too but I hold it in the same place every time. Sometimes, it reads the sensor with no problem at all.

10. Dianemacfaden

Dianemacfaden Type 1 · Active Member

Hi there
    I have been having the same issues recently with my iPhone 7 not reading my sensor like it used to. So many unsuccessful goes before it eventually reads it. I read about the recent update causing issues and have just re booted my phone and now it seems to be ok.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook