Freestyle Libre Sensor - Sensor supply concerns

Mick1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I like many have found the Freestyle Libre a very use product to monitor my BG levels.

But now, I have concerns as to the availability of replacement sensors as not only are Abbot restricting sales to existing customers on their online website to 2 sensors every 25 days, but I was also greeted with following pop-up

Please Note:
Due to a tremendous response to the FreeStyle Libre system, we are closing the web shop for new customers. Please subscribe to our mailing list and we will notify you as soon as the web shop will re-open. For current customers, we are limiting orders to two sensors per order every 25 days. You will also receive free shipping which will be applied automatically in your basket.
Thank you for your patience and support.

This will surely alienate new customers and then like many existing customers, I would like the security that I am able to buy these expensive sensors to suit my needs and budget.

Of concern is the 2 sensors limit every 25 days, when the sensors are only good for 14 days, so have 28 days use.

This 25 days does not give much leeway for postage where deliveries may be at weekends or if delayed in the post, or for those who take extended business trips , or indeed those who have extended holidays requiring 3 sensors to cover that period.

I like my Freestyle Libre, and appreciate there may be a demand for this popular piece of kit, but as a new user, this development of limiting supply and closing the web shop to new customers gives me cause for concern.

D

Deleted Account

I understand they are now available to buy over the counter. Some have mentioned buying them in Boots and Asda.

Mick1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understand they are now available to buy over the counter. Some have mentioned buying them in Boots and Asda.
Hi

I checked on the Boots and Asda websites, but nothing appeared in searches, so possible a local store arrangement, but will have a mooch for curiosity sake in local branches and ask

Reactions: Kim Possible

Bombjack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like my Freestyle Libre, and appreciate there may be a demand for this popular piece of kit, but as a new user, this development of limiting supply and closing the web shop to new customers gives me cause for concern.

I placed my first order with the web shop a few days before they closed it. With this web shop closure, and the time delay before buying new sensors, I'm unable to get any spare sensors in case my current one malfunctions (it's reading high at the moment, which I can compensate for at least).

Yep, I'm concerned. More so, as these sensors are going to get more popular in the coming months as more NHS trusts prescribe them. I haven't seen any on over-the-counter sales, but then haven't looked too hard yet.

I've had my Libre for 5 days, and actually can't imagine going back to the "dark ages" of strips. I don't like being dependent on one supplyer for anything - it's not a good situation. Hoping competitor products come out soon which give us more of an alternative to the Libre. Might look at Dexcom, although I understand it's even more expensive.

Tjroberts3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you manage to get a supply of them. I was self funding but then my NHS board put them on prescription. If they hadn’t I’d be worrying now too I guess. Such a useful product, it shouldn’t be so hard to get hold of them!

Reactions: kev-w

Bombjack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you manage to get a supply of them. I was self funding but then my NHS board put them on prescription. If they hadn’t I’d be worrying now too I guess. Such a useful product, it shouldn’t be so hard to get hold of them!

My doctor used to give me loads of grief about the number of test strips I got ("Do you REALLY need to test 3 times a day?"), so I ended up buying extra strips. I estimate zero chance of my area putting the Libre on prescription, but I'm seeing my consultant in 2 weeks so will see what he says.

Just hope Abbott keep the web shop open in the meantime.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Supply issues may be starting to affect pharmacies too.
I placed and paid for an order at my local (ish) Asda pharmacy nearly a week ago and was told they normally come into store within 2-3 days - still no sign of them arriving and the pharmacy have no indication when they might arrive

Last edited: