Type 1 Freestyle libre sensor sites

Liv1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone who uses freestyle libre sensors can help.

I've used 2 different sensors so far as per the instructions which say that it has to be inserted on the upper arm. I don't want to keep inserting it there while the weather is hot though because I don't like it being visible in sleeveless clothes.

Does anyone know why it says you can only insert it on the upper arm? I can't work out why it couldn't be out on the lower back or another flat place...

Any insight would be appreciated and if anyone has tried putting it somewhere else I'd like to know how it went. They're so expensive I don't want to try it and it go wrong!

Thanks,

Liv

Reactions: Odin004

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In theory it shroud work elsewhere but the upper arm has probably shown the most success during testing stages of the sensors...

I don't have one but thats what I have heard...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The reason that upper arm is recommended is purely because that's what the license that Abbott have for it says. If you use it elsewhere, you are using it "off license" as it were.

I know that people have tried other places, i.e. stomach, back, love handles, legs, and for me the arm makes most sense as it seems to stay on there better, and the readings were better, having tried my midriff and lost the sensor after three days.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Liv1991 now it's summer I'm trying to be as nonchalant as I can about my sensors but I do admit to feeling rather self conscious. I insert my next sensor 36 hrs before its predecessor is set to expire - so I'm already bracing myself for feeling a bit of a wally by wearing a sensor on each arm on Monday.....! It's so, so worth it, though - I would hate to not have my Libre!

I'm not tempted to wear it anywhere other than on my upper arm in case of having a problem with it requiring contact with Abbott customer services. If it fails I imagine I would get short shrift - and no free replacement! - if they knew I had gone against their recommendation.

:)

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I actually want people to see it. I'm a big nerd though, the idea of electronic implants gets me excited
You can't just put it anywhere flat as it needs to be in the right layer of tissue. Theoretically there are other places that could work, but I don't know how uniform interstitial fluid is across the body. There is a possibility that the readings could be different or less reliable because the sensor is only calibrated for one location. Or that the timing lag is different in different places.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly, in my experience, particularly if it is on the inside of the upper arm, people really don't notice it unless you deliberately point it out to them, and if they do notice, when you say what it is, they are politely interested for all of thirty seconds and then they go back to not caring. Even wearing t-shirts/sleevless tops, I really can't remember anybody ever noticing if I didn't go out of my way to show them.

Liv1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok thanks everyone, I'm just not very good at being carefree about stuff like this!

New2T1D

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Things that are unfair.
Hi,

I've used 2 different sensors so far as per the instructions which say that it has to be inserted on the upper arm. I don't want to keep inserting it there while the weather is hot though because I don't like it being visible in sleeveless clothes.

Does anyone know why it says you can only insert it on the upper arm? I can't work out why it couldn't be out on the lower back or another flat place...

Any insight would be appreciated and if anyone has tried putting it somewhere else I'd like to know how it went. They're so expensive I don't want to try it and it go wrong!

Thanks,

Liv
My son hated it on his arm. Hated that it showed and hated because it felt annoying to him. Now puts it on his thigh - happy days. Doesn't feel it going in, or notice it for the 2 weeks. Puts it on upper thigh and it's totally hidden by boxer shorts. It's worked fine for us and we trust its accuracy. If you get a rogue sensor, you notice immediately. Again - our experience. Worth a try in my opinion.

SnapDani329

Hi,

Thanks,

Liv
Hello,
I don’t know about inserting it at other locations, however I might be able to help with the self-consciousness. I really hated seeing the white, clearly medical sensor. My mom did a search and a company called grif grips makes adhesive pads that can go over the sensor. The can be used for sports but I wear them almost all the time. There are skin toned options that don’t completely hide the sensor but definitely make it harder to see. Since wearing them for a while I’ve branched out into crazier ones that are meant to be seen. I like wearing butterflies and dinosaurs frequently. I got a football for the Super Bowl. Just a thought. Hope this helps.
Dani