Freestyle Libre Sensor supply . . . . . . . yet again

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Just been informed by my local Boots that I can no longer order these sensors from them, I have to go direct to Abbott. Prescriptions will still be filled, you just can't buy them.

Has anybody heard or know whether this is a general thing, have other pharmacies been told they can't supply to purchasers of the sensors.

Been a bit of day really, having been diagnosed with prostate cancer 6 months ago and told it was so insignificant there's no treatment, I've been using a barochamber as it has been helpful to people with MS, cancer, leg ulcers, ME. Now I've been told that as I don't have MS I can no longer use the chamber because of issues related to deregulation back in 2008. At least not the one in Wendover. Seems I can go to Harrow, Reading, both 3 times the distance and which technically will have the same deregulation issues as Wendover.

EDIT: Just found the post from 18 months ago. Sorry. Any update would be welcome.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately, Boots stopped selling Libre sensors quite a while ago. Asda is reputed to be the least costly, as far as I know. I get mine from a local pharmacy at slightly more than the Asda price but Asda is much further away ;)

Reactions: DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Thanks, I'm lucky to have three small pharmacies with a mile or two and a further 2 small pharmacies on my way to a place I visit a couple of times a week, so I'll check them out. I think that's three different named pharmacies and excluding Boots.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Be sure not to pay VAT for Libre sensors :) As a diabetic, you're exempt :)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
As a diabetic, you're exempt

Thanks, you should have seen the fun and games my local Boots had removing VAT on their till, Bless them. Not their fault they've been told not to supply to non prescription people. It's not as if they were charging NHS price either.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got mine from tesco pharmacy. You can check with any pharmacy if they have them available I guess since they're so expensive they aren't widely available. I am loving the sensor and I guess I dont mind paying a few quid every now and then.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Thanks for info, I feel happier with a few choices. Abbott did supply quite quickly but in the past I have had problems which is why I ended up at Boots.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

From my experience with Boots in my local Sainburys a few weeks back. They had loads on the shelf, but were not awair of the VAT exemption, but were prepared to sell at full price.. So I walked ..

I usually source mine from ASDA pharmacy. I also used to work in retail? I can get them VAT exempt no problem from there.
They scan a VAT exempt barcode in a "leaf bind folder" regarding the "stock control" & pricing on their system, not the Libre box..

Without the VAT £46? (Just looked at the receipt, bought two last weekend. Still sitting in a bag.My current runs out tomorrow..)

Last edited: