Freestyle libre sensors falling off

Hatcher

Hi , not been on here for a long while but just seen your post about Libra sensors , I had the same problem when I started with the libra back in 2020
Have you tried first applying some Skin Tack Adhesive and then fit the sensor , and then place a Freestyle Libra Adhesive patch over the top , I always cover enough area with the skin tack wipe to cover the patch area as well and this solved the problem for me , I work in a dirty sweaty Enviroment and have found this to be the best way to keep them on , Both products are available on Amazon or Funky pumpers web site

Moltol

I have been using the freestyle libre since January 2019.
The sensors were great and most of them lasted the full 2 weeks on my arm.

I was upgraded to the libre 2 in March this year and since then, the sensors have been a nightmare.

I haven’t had a single sensor stay on my arm for the full 2 weeks since March.
Majority of them are only lasting 4 days.
My last sensor only lasted 1 day!

I haven’t changed my routine at all, I still do the same a activities yet the sensors seem to be getting worst.
I know you can contact Abbot and get replacements sent out and I’ve done that numerous times but I’m getting fed up having to constantly change my sensors and order new ones.

I noticed that when I go for a shower, the sensors start to peel off.
I have bought some Kinesiology tape of eBay however I feel after about 3 showers, the tape starts to come off and then the sensors falls off after this.

Can anyone recommend anything different to keep the sensor on?
Or has anyone got any tips on how to keep the sensors on?
I was having the same problem with the 2 falling off. I found on Amazon some waterproof Libre 2 covers. They are cheap and you get lots. I put one over the sensor and it lasts about 7 days before starts to peel but I can do anything now and don’t lose my sensor

chasarthur

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I was upgraded to the libre 2 in March this year and since then, the sensors have been a nightmare.

I haven’t changed my routine at all, I still do the same a activities yet the sensors seem to be getting worst.
I know you can contact Abbot and get replacements sent out and I’ve done that numerous times but I’m getting fed up having to constantly change my sensors and order new ones.

I have bought some Kinesiology tape of eBay however I feel after about 3 showers, the tape starts to come off and then the sensors falls off after this.

Hi
the same happened to me.
I now use tubigrip elasticated support bandage, and cover the sensor completely on my upper arm. The bandaging should be loose enough not to constrict too tightly but of course firm enough to protect the sensor against clothing and slight knocks. I hope this helps.

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have a lot of trouble keeping the sensors on, After 7 days they start peeling off. I've had 2 replaced and can't fault Abbott on this but We shouldn't really have to be purchasing a 3rd party product to keep these on, they should last the full 14 days. Maybe they need to include something extra in the box to hold them on. I find a few of the patches i've purchased online have given me a severe reaction and caused blistering. As i say we shouldn't really need to use them.

Joy1948

Nope. I’ve always used the same shower gel and deodorant.

Yeah I noticed that, that changed about a month after getting the libre 2 and didn’t make much of a difference. I was told by abbot that I could use a perfume free wet wipe on my arm and that should work just the same but still doesn’t help 

pippaandben

I am a newbie to Libre2 and my second senser just fell off in my lap. Have been advised by local chemist that 60-70% is fine for "alcohol free" wipes and micropore tape to put over it which is skin friendly.

Toplash00

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’ve been using the libre 2 for about 12 months and only ever had the first one start to come off. I’ve been using sensor covers I bought off Amazon and they’re really good. I use surgical spirit to clean the area first, let it dry and then put the sensor on. I then get my husband to put the sensor cover on and when it’s time to change I peel it off in the shower. The sensor covers are £10 for 25 off Amazon, I use clear ones but you can get pictured ones with all different designs on. They really do keep them on, so much so I sometimes struggle to get them off in the shower, I’ve never had one fall off since, hope this helps some people.

PD Oz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

It seems that your sensors are coming off in the hotter months of summer (assuming you are in the northern hemisphere.) If so that may be from sweating, which I find to cause sensors to start peeling away before the 2 week stint.

Jerryshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Yes, instead of putting the sensor on the outside of your upper arm, put the sensor on the inside of your upper arm. I found the skin there is smoother and the sensor sticks more firmly

RBoyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I totally agree with you. I started using Libre 2 in October 2021 and to start with sensors were great but they do now continually to fall off. I know they are replaced but it's a real nuisance having to fill in the questions they ask every time and it means you need to have a couple in stock. I recently started using a plaster which fits over the sensor but doesn't affects its performance. The plaster is clear and is non sticky over the sensor itself. I am on my third sensor now using the plaster and although they suggest changing the plaster every ten days which you can without changing the sensor I have found this not required. I bought the plasters from Amazon UK and they are not expensive in fact I think they should be supplied with the sensor.

tioca

I follow the same process every time with the Libre 2 sensors. They last for 14 days for about 70% of the time. The ones that last the full length of time are still stuck very firmly when I come to take them off.

In the very hot weather last year I lost 2 in 2 days (they just fell off). Sometimes I dislodge them on a door frame, if I lose my balance. I've lost a couple while gardening - they weren't knocked off so I assume the physical activity made me overheat. I'm post-menopausal and still overheat quite regularly.

We all have different chemistry, different skin types, different body heat, different hormones etc. Just because it works 100% for some people doesn't mean it will work 100% for others, so don't beat yourself up or feel that you're doing something wrong, even if others pile in to say that it works well for them.

I hate having to self-fund but these are an absolute necessity to me due to hypos that are unrelated to diabetes (ie pre-date T2D by 40 years). They're "prescribed" to me, ie my consultant wants me to use them, but the NHS won't fund them. So it's reassuring to know that Abbott have a no-quibble replacement policy.

Good luck, and don't be made to feel like a freak just because others say they don't have the same problem.

ElaineTottey

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Hi there

I don’t have an issue with the sensor falling off, but do have issues with the Libre 2’s failing after 6 days or so which is super frustrating even though they have been applied correctly. The Libre 1’s have never failed. My son however was recently diagnosed and prescribed the Libre 3 by the Paediatric Diabetes Team and they regularly fall off circa 8-9 days in. The is super frustrating as you can’t order them directly from Abbots like you can the 2’s ( the 1’s were discontinued at the end of Dec’22). They can only be issued by the direct account the Hospital have and there are budget constraints around this. As a result he has to return to finger pricking which whilst a simple fact of having Diabetes , no matter the technological advances can make it difficult as many parents will know overnight.

ElaineTottey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there

I don’t have an issue with the sensors falling out per se , but do find they the Libre 2’s fail every time circa 6-7 days in even though they have been inserted correctly. My 12 yr old son was also recently diagnosed with type 1 and I was initially pleased he was prescribed the Libre 3’s by the Paediatric Diabetes Team prior to being discharged from hospital as they are much smaller than the original Libre’s and less likely to get knocked or caught . However these do fall out on the regular and it’s incredibly frustrating. More so as you can’t order these directly from Abbots - only via the Diabetes Team arranging for the supply and it’s becoming increasingly clear that this involves politics around budgets and frequency of delivery. That said he also trialled a DexCom CGM which is supposed to last for 10 days. 1st one survived 9 days, 2nd 6 days before peeling off , and the 3rd and final one we took out after 6 hours as he was in absolute agony after it was inserted. CGM’s are a brilliant innovation and I’m speaking as someone who was diagnosed prior to the finger prick kits being a ‘ thing’ . However , like all tech it’s not fool proof unfortunately. Appreciate you’ve said your not doing anything different but I’ve found over the years something as basic as slightly different shower temperatures , sweating more than normal if I’ve done something different in the gym, suntan lotion or change it toiletries / hormones can affect how robust the adhesion is on the Libre 1’s and 2’s. ‍♀️

Gabs1x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to use "skin-tac wipes" off amazon to keep my sensor from falling off because i had the same issue. But even using these wipes it still starts to peel off around the edges but it does (normally) hold the sensor on in the middle. Also can recommend to exfoliate the area and makesure its got no soap/lotion on the area prior to putting your sensor on. Hope this helps.

alexmtaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have surgical spirit/rubbing alcohol in a bottle, which I use to add to hand washing liquid soap (have done since the beginning of Covid). Using that with a bit of tissue paper/kitchen paper/cotton wool before applying the sensors is much cheaper and less waste than the wipes. Wet wipes aren't always the right option as they are much gentler and sometimes have added moisturiser such as Aloe Vera.

dorathea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too am having problems with the Libre2, I had used the original Libre for a long time without a problem, but changed to the Libre2 in August last year since then it's been a nightmare. The sensors stick fine but after 6 days the reader and app on my 'phone just says no active sensor, sometimes the sensor lasts less than 24 hours. I have had 3 new readers and several replacement sensors in this time all with the same result, Abbott can't explain this and just send replacement sensors. Has anyone else experienced this problem or have any idea how to solve it? I would be so grateful for any help you can give me.

Lrlp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hiya.

I buy a load of blue-sky alcohol wipes for my nails but I also use them to clean where my libre will be going. I also discovered some patches to hold the libre on and they are seriously strong but unfortunately my skin has a reaction to them. They are called "patchinga".

MYZZR1100

Try these from amazon: freestyle libre sensor covers, 25 pack, waterproof, £9.99 will last you nearly a year

Amanda1803

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was having the same problem when first switched over to the Libre 2 sensors. I was advised not to use any showergel or bath products which contained moisturiser of any kind. This has helped me and the sensors now stay on.

PaulXC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having used the Libre 1 whilst I self funded I remember it took the force of a collision with an airplane door frame as I exited the loo to take off those sensors, it was hard work to remove them, even in the hot shower with soap or shampoo to work loose. Since getting NHS support and then moving onto Libre 2, I can definitely notice that Libre 2 is much easier to remove for me, so must be "less sticky". I buy alcohol wipes now and I would say these have always been essential to prepare the skin area, removing body oils. Look on YouTube for other tips from users.

I also use a short length of wrist sized tubigrip elastic stocking, to provide some thermal insulation, when I go out running and cycling in the cold and near to zero temperatures. Nothing will come off with this on top. I also have one of the elastic "watch frame" straps from Ebay for my running and swimming expeditions. This is better for the sensor as there is a small hole in the middle that is not supposed to be covered. I have no problem obtaining readings with the elastic bandage over and it is breathable to a small extent.

elastic watch frame - lots of colours available:
tubigrip - small size to suit your arm - available from any high street chemist or: