Freestyle Libre sensors?

yodanz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,
I've arrived in the UK (from New Zealand) and one of my Freestyle Libre sensors has been damaged.
Does anyone "out there" know where, or how, I can buy another one?
I asked a pharmacist in Boots and he wasn't sure they were sold in the UK yet.
I hope they are available here.
Can someone let me know how I can get one?
Thank you in advance for any help.
Regards, Joseph

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Freestyle Libre website. However they cost £50!!!

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is going to be a struggle. Even pharmacies trying to get them on prescription seem to make hard work of it. I doubt anywhere stock them. I suspect that Abbott are now on holiday, big you could try calling them. That's all I can suggest.

Where in the country are you out of interest?

yodanz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is going to be a struggle. Even pharmacies trying to get them on prescription seem to make hard work of it. I doubt anywhere stock them. I suspect that Abbott are now on holiday, big you could try calling them. That's all I can suggest.

Thanks Barry M, very much appreciate the replay to my query.
Glad I joined the Diabetes UK site / forum.
Kindest Regards

yodanz

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I'm down in South Devon.
I believe there's a large pharmacy in Plymouth that I can try.
Worst case scenario is that I get one sent over from New Zealand by post.

JMM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many.
Does anybody know if the Freestyle Libre is available on the NHS in Sheffield?

indyjholtzmann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some UK pharmacies have started selling Libre sensors. Someone I know who has a Libre managed to buy one from a Boots near me but they were charged £62. Didn't have a prescription, just bought it straight over the counter. I've heard some people go to some pharmacies though and they have no idea what the Libre even is. I think it's luck of the draw with pharmacies at the moment but may be worth seeing if there are other pharmacies around you who may possibly stock them?

yodanz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Some UK pharmacies have started selling Libre sensors. Someone I know who has a Libre managed to buy one from a Boots near me but they were charged £62. Didn't have a prescription, just bought it straight over the counter. I've heard some people go to some pharmacies though and they have no idea what the Libre even is. I think it's luck of the draw with pharmacies at the moment but may be worth seeing if there are other pharmacies around you who may possibly stock them?

Thank you to everyone on this forum for your helpful discussion.
Great advice and a very nice community spirit.
I very much appreciate it all.
Hope you all have a safe and Merry Christmas, from a new friend from New Zealand.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

There's some interesting stuff going on up here in Scotland.

Ipag has a page at link below with updates on health board's approaches and also lists some chemists selling them at various prices. Some are crazy, more expensive than buying direct, one even wants a prescription as well as charging (***!), but I spoke recently to the guy at Colinton Pharmacy, Edinburgh who confirmed he's selling at NHS cost price, £35, plus £10 per order (per order, not per sensor), so a decent saving if buying several. Totally decent bloke.

So, might be worth popping around a few local chemists, tell them it's the future, see if you can get them on board.

There's a link on the ipag page for chemists making business orders.

http://www.ipag.co.uk/abbott-freestyle-libre-prescribing-around-scotland/

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm down in South Devon.
I believe there's a large pharmacy in Plymouth that I can try.
Worst case scenario is that I get one sent over from New Zealand by post.

Depends on how long you're here for, but if you just go onto their website, they normally deliver within about 4 to 5 days by courier, although maybe xmas will mess that up.

https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk