.Freestyle libre sensors

steveo4

Had quite a discussion with my consultant and dsn about the possibility of putting the sensors on prescription in the Essex area but felt like I was getting nowhere fast. The bottom line is that they don't think it's cost effective and also there is no strong evidence that control is improved when using the sensors. It seemed like a complete waste of time they listened to my points about getting better control by having a better chance of keeping your levels in range and also less chance of going hypo but it seemed to me their minds were already made up so it never really went the way I was hoping but at least I tried. The conclusion was that although there are no immediate plans it may happen but not for quite some time.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't understand how it could not be considered that they will improve HBA1C and give people piece of mind, effectively leading to less hospital admissions, less hypos, less hypers and overall well being will improve.

Just the smallest example, @mytype1.life was able to see that porridge, which she thought was the great healthy option for a Type 1, was actually spiking her sky high in between testing, something not noticeable when finger pricking a few hours apart. It has allowed me to see the same, I can see that my bolus needed to be taken a little earlier, I am able to see when it's slightly rising and also can take action.

From using the Libre along with the Blucon, my last two weeks have been great in terms of keeping numbers in range. Perhaps the accuracy isn't spot on, but my estimated HBA1C for just two weeks is about 5.7%. I would probably say that is slightly out, but know it would certainly be a lot higher without the Libre.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And you don't need to calibrate with the Freestyle right? No test strips needed for the most part the way I understand it. It was just approved here late last year I think.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't understand how it could not be considered that they will improve HBA1C and give people piece of mind, effectively leading to less hospital admissions, less hypos, less hypers and overall well being will improve.

Just the smallest example, @mytype1.life was able to see that porridge, which she thought was the great healthy option for a Type 1, was actually spiking her sky high in between testing, something not noticeable when finger pricking a few hours apart.

Roughly the same for me, with fresh orange juice though, it was supposed to be one of my 5-a-day but I found out it was causing the biggest spikes known to mankind (the sensor didn't go high enough on a number of occasions ...). It has shown me a number of things I couldn't possibly have known with continuous monitoring.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And you don't need to calibrate with the Freestyle right? No test strips needed for the most part the way I understand it. It was just approved here late last year I think.

That's correct, although, it would be nice to be able to calibrate it. I always would finger prick before meals and driving just to be sure. The sensor can read a little under or over on occasion, a bit more when out of range so they recommend finger pricks when this happens.

I hooked up a Blucon Nightrider and use it with xDrip and now have alerts and can calibrate. Wouldn't be without it now even though I am self funding.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My hba1c has dropped from 58 to 41 in the year I've been self funding the libre. Apointment next week to discuss getting a prescription. Can't wait for them to suggest there is no proof it will help me lol.

Reactions: dbr10

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From using the libre I had learnt that overnight my blood sugars were crashing and staying low for the entire night and even though my daytime hypo awareness is excellent I never woke up through the night even though I was low for 7+ hours at a time. If I didn't have the libre I would have never known this happened. Definitely has helped me to also lower some of my daytime sugars and get them more in range. Don't know where they are getting that it doesn't improve control because certainly for me it has. Although yes I can afford to self-fund it's still expensive and not affordable for everyone.

Reactions: dbr10

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I have more real Hypo's with the Libre, but only because it gives me more confidence. The Libre is very inaccurate. It has said 3.1 and the test strip has said 7.9 (I'm not counting that as a Hypo). Before everyone starts the sensor had been worn for 5 days and been active for 4 days. Normally the sensors are high (except the first day or 2) - that is when they actually work, I have a 30% fail rate and so far no compensation.

Reactions: DonnaMac