Freestyle Libre Shipping problems

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Have been using Freestyle Libre now since Emmotha opened the original thread. Now for the first time I had to switch back to finger pricks for a longer period (since 3 weeks now) and it is really messing with my bg values. For all the health insurances that do not want to reimburse the Libre, think again as the chance to get complications is definately way higher without Libre.

Having said that, hope that my sensors which I ordered on March 16 will ship soon. Called Abbot before Eastern and they promised that the sensors would be shipped Today. However, order still 'On Hold' for te moment.

More people experiencing these shipping problems? And any clues how the demand has suddenly increased this much, almost 4 years after the release?

Honestly I would have expected that by now other producers would have (at least) copied (or improved) the device by now. But the diabetes-industry seems to remain a pretty non-innovative industry.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have been using Freestyle Libre now since Emmotha opened the original threat. Now for the first time I had to switch back to finger pricks for a longer period (since 3 weeks now) and it is really messing with my bg values. For all the health insurances that do not want to reimburse the Libre, think again as the chance to get complications is definately way higher without Libre.

Having said that, hope that my sensors which I ordered on March 16 will ship soon. Called Abbot before Eastern and they promised that the sensors would be shipped Today. However, order still 'On Hold' for te moment.

More people having these shipping problems? And any clues how the demand has suddenly increased this much, almost 4 years after the release?

Honestly I would have expected that by now other producers would have (at least) copied (or improved) the device by now. But the diabetes-industry seems to remain a pretty non-innovative industry.
There's quite a few threads now about Abbott supply issues. I've given up and am ordering mine from ASDA pharmacy - they're cheaper and I get them in 2 days. Abbott have had supply issues since Christmas and don't seem to be any closer to resolving it.

Reactions: Hill28

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Cool, do they also ship to the Netherlands? And at which website can I order?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Hill28 Not sure about the Netherlands, in the UK the supply chain has altered as they're preferring to deal with retailers rather than end user direct which is hence why we've experienced delays in the UK, if the same is happening there then try contacting local pharmacies to see if they have stocks, i'd try your major ones first, good luck in sourcing.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If the supply problems persist, and you'rw not able to source mote quickly through pharmacists, as is becoming more common now here in the UK, you could always consider switching to Dexcom instead.

At UK prices, the sensors are technically twice the price (£50 for a two week libre sensor, £50 for a one week Dexcom sensor) but many (although not all) dexcom users find they can simply restart them and keep them running for a significantly longer period, typically 2 to 3 weeks, so that the "unofficial" price is often comparable to libre, instead of twice the price, as long as it's understood that there's no guarantees doing it that way - works for many, but not all. There's also the price of the dexcom transmitters to consider.

Mr. Dan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I got mine from TrustMed Pharmacy in the Leicester General Hospital. Apparently all three of the Leicester hospitals sell them. There £42 with the VAT exempt. I've looked around online and I can't see them any cheaper any where else.