FreeStyle Libre Testing

stevenson40

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have just been prescribed to be able to use the FreeStyle Libre glucose testing system.
I find that the results are about a third higher than my blood glucose results.
I, therefore, find it a little confusing when trying to establish my overall glucose control.
Does anybody else have the same concerns? :wideyed:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes
Libre is very good at indicating trends in blood sugars but not always very accurate as to actual BG level as it meassures a different bodily fluid ( interstitial fluid) and converts to an estimated BG according to Abbors algorythmns.
There is always a 10-15 min time lag between blood and interstitial fluid glucose concentrations which cases some temporary discrepancies between figures but theres also
1) some peoples bodies appear to develop allergic reactions to Libre and reject them with inceasingly strange readings
2) although its improved (allegedly) there are a significant number of sketchy sensors which abbot usually replace
3) the system works well for some people but is an abject failure for others
When Ive used it (im one of those who have developed an allergic response so not currently using) Ive cross checked each sensor against fingerprick tests to see how much I need to allow for the sensor being inaccurate ( most have been consistently out by the same amount throughout the sensors life)
Nb atbone point Abbot told me that the Libre that reading double then at other times half what the BG meter was saying, was within their acceptable margin of error - it wasnt in mine!

Have a look on the blood glucose monitoring forum and youll find lots of info re peoples experiences with Libre, both good and not so good.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/blood-glucose-monitoring.42/

Last edited: