Freestyle libre

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I have been researching devices . I found this ....freestyle libre . Does anyone use this and do you like it and is it easy to use ?

Soo

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I have been researching devices . I found this ....freestyle libre . Does anyone use this and do you like it and is it easy to use ?

Soo

Many on here use them, including me. If you do a search you will find dozens of threads about them, including one very long thread over many pages.

I love it. It is easy to use. The downside is the cost.

Reactions: Soo2

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apart from cost it's great. Been using mine for 3 months. Feel lost without it.

D

Deleted Account

As others have said, there are a lot of people who love the Libre.

I was able to trial it for a couple of weeks and was disappointed: I felt it was not reliable. The two problems I experienced were incredibly high readings (3 - 4 mmol/l higher than finger pricks) and it fell off after 2 days (I was very lucky to get a replacement).

On the other hand, once I got my head around the Libre readings being 10 minutes behind the finger prick, I found the arrows indicating whether my BG was level, rising or falling useful.

Two things to consider if you treat your diabetes with insulin:
- the DVLA will not accept a Libre (or CGM) reading prior to driving
- i was recommended not to use the Libre reading to estimate my insulin dose

If you are able to get a free trial (mine was arranged by my diabetes nurse), I recommend going for it to make your own decisions. Reading about it is one thing but not a substitute for seeing and playing with it yourself.

Reactions: tony n and Soo2

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
helensaramay I couldn't agree with you more, I'm just finishing a 2 week trial and although I've found it interesting I'm not convinced in the Libre as a permanent addition to my diabetes paraphernalia, I might look at getting one and using it for checking every couple of months that I'm keeping in the right direction but personally (i know this is heresy) but I don't altogether get it as a permanent thing.

Reactions: tony n and Soo2

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have done lots of research and it seems great. The cost is £57 fortnightly.
But it does seem very good

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

You could always buy the starter pack, which includes 2 sensors. You'd have 2 fortnights to try it and see what you think. I can't justify the cost to have it permanently, so I have a 2 week stint then a rest for a couple of months, then another 2 weeks.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The cost is £57 fortnightly.
When you checkout your sensor order online you 'sign' an online declaration, and they knock off the VAT. Not sure if it's the case for type 2, but definitely for type 1. I bought 4 sensors - so 8 weeks' worth - a couple of weeks ago and it came to just shy of £200 including the postage.

I've been using the Libre continuously for almost exactly a year. It cripples me financially but I could not be without it. To put this in context, I'm a total and utter 'micromanager' with my diabetes, and I crave data! The two gadgets I've started using in the last 18 months - my pump and my Libre - have absolutely changed my life, and I wouldn't be without either of them.

:)

Reactions: Energize and Soo2

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi snapsy
That's brilliant thank you for your reply! Can you still bath with the freestyle libre??
Also what does " just shy of " mean please??

@Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
" just shy of "
That means 'just less than', @Soo2 . You wear the sensor non-stop for two weeks, including in the bath or in the swimming pool - I swim 5 days a week wearing mine, and I shower, and it's fine. You're not supposed to have it under water for more than 30 minutes, but I swim for less time than that, so that's fine. In fact I've swum longer than that a few times and it's still been fine.

It's a great piece of kit - try it and see - but be warned - you'll become addicted to it!!!!!

:)

Reactions: Energize

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have talked me into it!!! Does it hurt when you put the needle part in??
And from now on snapsy " just shy of " is my favourite term!!!

@Snapsy

Reactions: Snapsy

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

That's the cost including VAT, but when you tick the box to say you have diabetes, the VAT will be taken off.

I've had mine 10 days. I am a total addict. No, it doesn't hurt when you put the sensor on.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find sometimes it feels a little prickly for the first day - sometimes, not always - and it rarely hurts on applying it, although it has a couple of times in a year. It's definitely not a big ow, anyway!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have ordered one of these, be prepared for the 5 -7 delivery. I phoned an operative who said that sensors (unused) have a 30 day lifespan - I could not verify this on the website. I wanted to buy a few months worth of sensors, has anyone else experience of the lifetime of unused sensors.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Arggh, I hope that's not true as I just bought four! They allow you to buy up to ten now - why would they do that if they're going to expire?

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I've just checked the boxes - they all have an expiry date of 30th April on them, and the insert says not to use them after the expiry date. I will have started the last of mine just before expiry, so hope I still get the full use out of them!

Last week Abbott ran a prize draw for a year's worth of sensors, and in the T's & C's it said they would be delivered quarterly - so they must manufacture them with sufficiently long lives for that to be workable.