FreeStyle Libre

wobblybill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I have a comment about the Freestyle Libre 14 day system. I have used about 6 sensors so far and 2 have failed from the start and one failed before it expired. I just attached a new sensor that went through the warmup period and it indicated my BS was going Low. I did not feel any symptons so I did a blood sample check. It indeed was much higher. I rechecked it again gave a similar high reading with a blood sample and again the Libre sensor indicates my BS is going low. Has anyone had similar problems? Any advice? Bill from US.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yes a fair few people have had similar issues. Call Abbott and explain, they are usually pretty good about replacing.

D

Deleted Account

I have a couple of sensors fall off but never had any fail.
Perhaps it would help if you explain what you mean by fail.
Do you mean errors reported, sensors fall off, large differences between finger pricks and Libre readings or something else?

As for an incorrect low from the sensor, there could be a few things happening.
The first 24 hours are often out as our bodies are getting used to the alien thing being inserted. For this reason, many of us wear a sensor overnight and some for a whole day before activating. This provides 14 days of more reliable readings.
The other is “compression lows”. This is when the sensor reports low if you apply pressure to it. Typically this happens when you lie on the sensor at night.

There are lots and lots and lots of threads about experience of a Libre over the last few years. This includes things like the two points I have made above and more.

I highly recommend using the Search feature and the top right and reading through this experience. Just type in “Libre”, read and learn from this who have been using a Libre for a few years.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm afraid I'm in the UK. I'm also new to Libre, but I am unhappy with the difference in readings between the Freestyle Libre and the Freestyle Lite, which is my finger pricking glucometer which is accurate as always matches my blood tests, so phoned the company. They offered to replace the sensor immediately.

Last edited:

wobblybill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes a fair few people have had similar issues. Call Abbott and explain, they are usually pretty good about replacing.
Thanks for the advice. I will wait 24 hours for the sensor to stabilize and see what happens. If that does not work that would be a 50 % failure rate in my sensors. I also saw your post about lying on your arm can compress the sensor and affect the readings that is good to know. Bill