Freestyle Libre

SilverK

Hello, I’ve been reading around and I’m seeing quite a few people saying that the Libre is really inaccurate?
I do a lot of driving and spend a fair bit of time on stage. My DN wants me to have a Libre but I’m worried that it might say I’m fine when I’m not. The consequences would not be good!
Any thoughts???

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I’ve been reading around and I’m seeing quite a few people saying that the Libre is really inaccurate?
I do a lot of driving and spend a fair bit of time on stage. My DN wants me to have a Libre but I’m worried that it might say I’m fine when I’m not. The consequences would not be good!
Any thoughts???

I love it. Yes, it has its issues, ie it's 15 minutes behind a blood glucose reading and sometimes (especially when your glucose levels are quite low, say the low 4s) it sometimes reads even lower, same I think when your readings are high. Once you get used to its stroppiness though I find it is great for showing patterns, for showing you when you are going low or high and at what speed and for producing data that helps you manage your levels and is interesting to boot. Not to mention I used to do around 10 plus finger prick tests a day as I also drive as part of my work (emergency worker) meaning I would be hopping in and out a car at random times day and night and not always in a position (hygienic or otherwise) to do finger checks meaning I was restricted in my work (embarrassing). If I thought it could not be relied on I would NOT be able to use it as the consequences of me getting it wrong are likely to be catastrophic. It is not foolproof (what is when it comes to diabetes) and if I am feeling off, or hypo or maybe just a little concerned, then do a finger prick test as well. To be honest that doesn't happen often and on average I do 1 or 2 pricks a day maximum, if that.I LOVE the relative freedom it gives me too, a quick scan and off you go. Hope this helps. x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do fingerpricks alongside the Libre when in doubt. This means I do a lot less fingerpricking than before, but still have all the additional information the Libre gives me. This means I can run my BG's a lot tighter than on finger pricking alone.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any thoughts???

Hi,

I have a Bluetooth bridge that sends the readings every 5 minutes to an app in can calibrate to my meter.
I drive.. & keep my phone in a cradle on the A pillar for an at a glance readout. Though I am fully hypo aware..

"Time on stage." As in performing arts?
Yep, I used to put my phone by the monitors. Or smaller set up on the mixer. Again, for an at a glance "home screen" readout pre-empt any drops that can take the wind out of the sails..
I recently got a smart watch which can also read my BG levels... But I haven't had a chance to use it yet in a gig setting..

Last edited:

SilverK

Thank you, all of you, for your replies! I feel very reassured!
The bridge sounds like a good idea - updates in close to real time and without having to try and do finger pricks whilst juggling PPE (while teaching) will be great! I’m in a similar boat as regards driving. Being late wouldn’t necessarily be the end of the world (depending on the head teacher!) but my timings between schools are tight - too many red lights, or a tractor in the way and I can miss classes, sometimes whole schools! I don’t know what my schedule is going to be like when I’m back in school but I need to be on the ball so I have to have a much tighter hold on this. Hypos are starting to become a concern . Being late for a gig on the other hand is just not an option.
I do both platform and pit work. In the pit I can keep my phone in sight and munch if needed - as long as we’re not doing Beauty and the Beast, where I have literally no rests! Lol. Platform is more difficult but by the time concerts are allowed again I’m hoping I’ll have a better handle on things.
I have to speak to my DN tomorrow (having hypos) so I should have a Libre update. I’ve missed this months training course (the consultant was on leave apparently) so it’ll be a few weeks at least. I’m due a new iPhone so if I need to update my tech I can.
Thank you all again

Reactions: KK123 and Jaylee

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... The bridge sounds like a good idea - updates in close to real time ...
The new Libre 3, which has been approved in Europe, connects with a smartphone through bluetooth, so no bridge needed. It os also approved for insulin delivery. Sounds like you, because of the active job, would benefit from using a pump. The new pumps can adjust basal rates to match the effect of exercise.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The new Libre 3, which has been approved in Europe
Erm, this sounds a bit overoptimistic.
I live in the Netherlands and nothing except the Libre 1 available and it doesn't look like this will change anytime soon.

TypeZero.

Erm, this sounds a bit overoptimistic.
I live in the Netherlands and nothing except the Libre 1 available and it doesn't look like this will change anytime soon.

Libre 2 seems like it may come to the UK. There was a prompt to update the app so I did. I didn’t recognise it immediately but I later realised that there was a new section for “Alarms” and when you click on it, it says “only for Libre 2 sensors”

So what this suggests is, if they’re updating the app then that means they’re surely going to release the Libre 2 in the UK sooner or later? It’s already available in Germany,

I have a feeling in a couple of months the UK could see the Libre 2, but Abbott haven’t said anything yet and I don’t know why they’d keep quiet if they were actually going to bring it over here

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like it will be available in Europe in the next few months but will take longer to get to the UK and US.
"Approved in Europe" is not the same as "will be available in Europe shortly". I do hope you're right (even though the Dutch law for one will have to be changed for it even being allowed to be funded, which basically means that if Abbott stops producing Libre1, many Dutchies will lose their Libre, complex story and completely off topic), but I would urge everyone to not get their hopes up too high!

Back on topic, which is about what we think of the Libre as it's available now and if it would be an improvement for SilverK.

Reactions: KK123

SilverK

Thank you for the replies, really interesting!
I have an appointment to get my Libre on Tuesday. I’d missed the training session for October and the next one isn’t for a while so my DN very kindly arranged a one to one so that I can get it sorted before I need to go back to work. I’m going to get the Bluetooth bridge - and any other “toys” people recommend? I want to be as organised as I can possibly be when I start careering around in the woolly wilds again. (- I’m not known for being organised on a personal level so this is going to take some thought. Apparently having a Starbucks app on your phone doesn’t count as remembering to pack lunch? Who knew?!?)

Reactions: Antje77

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre 2 has been approved for use on the NHS this month :)

IMG_8685.jpg

IMG_8686.jpg

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Hi,

I have a Bluetooth bridge that sends the readings every 5 minutes to an app in can calibrate to my meter.
I drive.. & keep my phone in a cradle on the A pillar for an at a glance readout. Though I am fully hypo aware..

"Time on stage." As in performing arts?
Yep, I used to put my phone by the monitors. Or smaller set up on the mixer. Again, for an at a glance "home screen" readout pre-empt any drops that can take the wind out of the sails..
I recently got a smart watch which can also read my BG levels... But I haven't had a chance to use it yet in a gig setting..

Hi, can you tell us a bit more about the ‘Bluetooth bridge’, very interested to know more. Things like what devices, software and connectivity?
Thx
David

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, can you tell us a bit more about the ‘Bluetooth bridge’, very interested to know more. Things like what devices, software and connectivity?
Thx
David

Hi David,

Yep, I have a Miaomiao 2 which sits over the sensor scanning & trasmitting to my phone.(or smart watch.)
The app I use is "XDrip." The app is a free download. (With no annoying adverts.) & pretty stable running in the background on my old Galaxy Note4.

Hope this helps..

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Hi David,

Yep, I have a Miaomiao 2 which sits over the sensor scanning & trasmitting to my phone.(or smart watch.)
The app I use is "XDrip." The app is a free download. (With no annoying adverts.) & pretty stable running in the background on my old Galaxy Note4.

Hope this helps..

Many thanks, very interesting. Love technology, now there’s something else to go into my brain .

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks, very interesting. Love technology, now there’s something else to go into my brain .

I feel the Libre doesn't work for everyone. Individual nuances on metabolism, reactions to the adhesive materials, state of body hydration & wot not...? The customer base is not a control environment subject in a lab..

But, the development of apps like "Glimp" (can be downloaded from the Andouid App Store.) even as a scanner, was far more accurate than the Abbott app developed in in conjunction with the Libre.. I personally found that app more user friendly & as a bonus can be calibrated.
I just found it less stable on my device opposed to "Xdrip" with regards to the Bluetooth bridge set up.

From memory, you will need to go to the "GitHub" site to download Xdrip. The site can be a little bewildering? Full of app developers..

I hope this helps you find what works for you..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here is an article about it.

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/...-smaller-thinner-and-no-more-scanning-672054/

Here is a video about the Libre 3. Sounds like it will be available in Europe in the next few months but will take longer to get to the UK and US.

Hi Mark,

You will have to excuse my aproach to this news.. Still no sign of the L2?? To date. (Through as @Emily95 has kindly pointed out, "it's comming." )

I held off getting a Bluetooth bridge until I discovered the L2 could not be "Jailbroken." So my bridge should still work when the L2 eventually floods the Abbott market.? The Miaomiao is L2 ready...

From what I can see from the concept mock up with a hastily fashioned representation in the video... (On the L3.)
I don't see a lot of change apart from the size of the tech in coordination with environmental mandates. (A bit more eco friendly.)
And who don't want a smaller sensor.

Regardless of what Abbott claim on the accuracy of the sensor. I still feel there will be topics such as this questioning the accuracy?

I still don't feel confident enough to consign my BT bridge to the drawer & delete the third party app. Just yet.. :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got my Libre this afternoon. I am now officially plugged in to my local hospital!

Yaaay for you. Please let us know how you get on and ask any questions you like, I've had mine for 10 months now. x