Freestyle+pump

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all - just wondering if anyone on here has a Freestyle Libre and also a pump such as Accu Chek? I was fitted with a pump yesterday but had already bought the Freestyle before I knew I was getting a pump! I now realise I need to go back to pricking fingers! Have I wasted my money? Do others use it in conjunction or just occasionally? Thanks in advance!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
you have not wasted your money no, I used mine to check my levels during the night and whilst I was working. It gives you a good idea how you are doing with your basal insulin during the night etc

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I got a pump whilst using Libre. It made life much easier. It was obvious that my basal was too high and it showed my overnight levels and what I needed to do to change. In tandem with a pump it is a great tool.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's great thanks @Gaz-M - good to know. Yes I love the fact it tells you what's been going on at night ie hypos that I was unaware of! Thanks for the reply

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @tim2000s - I'm glad I can still use it as it's been great! Now back to reading the stacks of literature with the pump!!!! Thanks. All the best

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got my pump in October and my Libre later on, in February. They're both great and have in their own ways dramatically changed my life for the better.

I don't bolus insulin or drive using only Libre results - I always do a blood test in these scenarios. I view the Libre as an addition to my toolkit rather than as a replacement for testing.

:)

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Snapsy - yes it's great and gives a clearer picture of everything - I love it. My DSN suggested I could use it for 2 weeks then have a break for 2 weeks! I see where she's coming from. Thanks for replying - it's good to know others use it with a pump too.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope it's all going well with day 2 of your pumping life, @Medusa41 !

I can't believe how much mine has changed my life, although it was (and is) hard work with quite a few frustrations at the beginning. Wish I'd had the Libre sooner as it would have helped so much with all the basal testing!

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I can't believe how much mine has changed my life, although it was (and is) hard work with quite a few frustrations at the beginning. Wish I'd had the Libre sooner as it would have helped so much with all the basal testing!

Likewise @Snapsy, a pump is life-changing and the Libre would have come in handy when switching to a pump to get the basal rates right.

Regards to pumps being hard work, they are in the initial stages but overall I don't think they are any more hard work than being on MDI. if anything they are less so (apart from when you have a set/pod issue :rolleyes:).

Good luck with the pump and Libre combination @Medusa41 :)