Freestyle sensor help!

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Help! I’m new to the freestyle flash monitor and my first sensor just fell off after only 4 days! Does anyone know if they will replace it for me as I have to buy them myself and it’s a bit of a waste of money for me if they don’t :( I’m just about to put a new sensor on too so if anyone has any tips on keeping them stuck on that would be great!
Thank you in advance!

Joah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep abbott will replace it.use tegaderm transparent dressing over the sensor.this will keep it in place for the duration.

Reactions: DiaBethic95

Joah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ps abbott may want you to send the sensor to them by return,so hang on to it until you talk to them.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Help! I’m new to the freestyle flash monitor and my first sensor just fell off after only 4 days! Does anyone know if they will replace it for me as I have to buy them myself and it’s a bit of a waste of money for me if they don’t :( I’m just about to put a new sensor on too so if anyone has any tips on keeping them stuck on that would be great!
Thank you in advance!

You can also buy protective straps these days, search on-line (e-bay) for freestyle libre guardian.

Some people seem to have a skin type that is not compatible with the Libre.

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ps abbott may want you to send the sensor to them by return,so hang on to it until you talk to them.

Thanks for your help! I thought they might so I’ve kept it safe. I will contact them in the morning. Can I get tagederm from the chemist?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use a skin tac wipe on my skin before applying, and have to use a chisel to peel them off. Also, warm skin really helps them stick too.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
if anyone has any tips on keeping them stuck on that would be great!

Every new libre user has lost one or two in the early days!

A few tips:

People often stick them on their arm without bothering to think about the state their arm is in. There's been people wondering why it falls off and it turns out they've applied it on top of moisturising cream - go figure why that won't work out.

To give the glue the best chance:

Shower/wash the arm to remove any grease and while doing that, also shave the application area with a razor - even if you've not got hairy arms, most people will still have a fine "peach fuzz" or random hairs, which are difficult to see unless you look up close, and that sort of stuff really doesn't help a sensor stick on, so shave it off.

Then dry, use the alcohol wipes, wait till totally dry, and apply.

Libre is not very high above the skin, but it can still be "caught" by a lot of unexpected things which can gradually loosen it and take it off: taking jackets/rucksacks/jumpers on and off.

Those often catch the edges. Many of us "librans" stick a 7 by 8 cm plaster on top to smooth out the edges a bit and pay attention to taking rucksacks off.

The other big thing is avoiding door jambs. I'm not kidding about that! I didn't realise how many times I bumped into door jambs when I was cutting a tight corner walking around the house or office or wherever, but I sure as heck realised it when I tore my 3rd sensor off doing exactly that!

Many new users apply it on the side of the arm. Try it further round at the back of the arm. It's less exposed there to random knocks which will build up over time to weaken the glue.

Have fun with it - it's a game changer if you don't bump into doors too much!

Mick1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi DiaBethic95,

I have yet to knock a sensor off, but I had my first sensor fail on Monday, it just stopped after taking a reading, and I got message "Your Sensor is not working. Please remove your sensor and start a new one"

I then telephoned Freestyle support, and after a wait on free-phone number, they agreed to replace the sensor.

But be prepared to provide them with your monitor serial number and the serial number of the sensor, plus as mentioned previously they will require the return of the sensor, but they will send a prepaid envelope to send it back to them

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a skin tac wipe on my skin before applying, and have to use a chisel to peel them off. Also, warm skin really helps them stick too.
I agree Skin Tac Wipe. I dont bother with anything else as I found all the help on washing, shaving, exfoliating didnt work well all the time. I had a two week holiday - in the sun, sea, pool, shower many times every day and it just would not come off.

After I had two drop off it was Abbott who suggested Skin Tac. I found the Tegederm whilst good impacted my readings. and it all started to get complex about punching holes - so Skin Tac.

Cheap to from Amazon.

Joah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep pharmacies stock them.dont buy the smallest tegaderm however they peel off too easily. Get the next size up.it has better adhesion.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My recommendation, for women only, is to watch those bra straps when dressing and undressing :) It's way too easy to pull a sensor off with them.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Abbotts will replace them, they are pretty good with replacing sensors when problems arise with them. The sensors stick to me like limpets.....really have to rip them off after 14 days

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Abbotts will replace them, they are pretty good with replacing sensors when problems arise with them. The sensors stick to me like limpets.....really have to rip them off after 14 days
Try a little oil to loosen the sticky - I use olive or Bio Oil. It makes the removal a bit gentler and I don’t end up with an arm that looks like I’ve been auckered by a giant squid... ;)