Freestyle tips - and feeling a bit better

SOTR

Thanks to the people who replied to me in earlier threads. I have started to pay attention to cutting carbs, and am feeling better for it. not amazing, just a bit more perky.
I am getting the free trial of Freestyle Libre delivered. Any tips on wearing it and how to place it? I bough a pack of round plsters from Amazon which are supposed to cover it.

Reactions: ianpspurs

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you are feeling better.

My main advice regarding the Libre is to be aware of its limitations
- it is less accurate when high or low so always check with finger pricks before correcting
- it is about 15 minutes behind finger pricks so don't expect it to be accurate when your blood sugars are changing fast
- it is less accurate for the first 24 to 48 hours so apply for at least 24 hours before activating. You can wear your current one on one arm and a day or two before it expires put the next on your other arm.
- some sensors are faulty. If you get a dodgy one phone Abbott. They have a free phone number on their internet site (and on the box). They are pretty good t replacing them so even if you get the sensors on the NHS there is no reason why anyone should pay for shoddy goods.

Other advice
- place it slightly under your arm so you are less likely to knock it off
- if you have a reader and the phone app and intend to use both, start the sensor with the reader. If you start with the phone pp, you cannot then use the reader.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, I forgot one more piece of advice
- make sure you clean the area you are going to insert your sensor with the wipes before you put it on.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know if you are going to get Libre 1 or Libre 2?

One tip I can give is to install the Diabox app - You can read more about it on developer's website: https://www.bubblan.org/docs/installation-guide-for-bubblan/

I have been using it for last 8 days (basically with the current Libre 2 sensor) and it really is very close to finger prick results especially once you activate the calibration in the app and it gets the readings from Libre2 itself without having to scan all the time although you do need to scan when it loses connection.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know if you are going to get Libre 1 or Libre 2?

One tip I can give is to install the Diabox app - You can read more about it on developer's website: https://www.bubblan.org/docs/installation-guide-for-bubblan/

I have been using it for last 8 days (basically with the current Libre 2 sensor) and it really is very close to finger prick results especially once you activate the calibration in the app and it gets the readings from Libre2 itself without having to scan all the time although you do need to scan when it loses connection.

I used the Diabox app. With the Libre 2 & found it consistently close to my meter from the get go. With comparison to the L1.

@SOTR , exfoliate the area chosen for the sensor to be placed when bathing. Before the prep of swabbing & drying prior to fitting it.
The sensor can be worn successfully inside the arm, if your concerned about knocking it.?
Less like likely to get pressure lows when resting on it too..

SOTR

Thankyou for the advice. Libre 2 sensor now on.
Sorry to be picky - why the advice not to connect to it for 24 hours? If it is inacurate for 24 hours I can understand that and will not pay too much attention to it. Or is there another reason to leave it alone for 24 hours?

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to be picky - why the advice not to connect to it for 24 hours? If it is inacurate for 24 hours I can understand that and will not pay too much attention to it. Or is there another reason to leave it alone for 24 hours?

I think it is mainly because the if you activate it early you will get 24 hours less with the sensor or you will have 24 hours of not so accurate readings. However, if you use diabox or xdrip you will be calibrating anyway so the 24 hours thing wont really matter that much..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

The readings can be a little scatty as it beds in for the first day..? (Now & again, towards end of the sensor life too?)
Though, my experience with the L2 by comparison to the first gen sensor. Is they are an improvement with this issue...
As well as the accuracy.

SOTR

I am very impressed with the Freestyle Libre. I am wearing it with a transparent circular plaster over the top. Very confortable.
My glucose is hovering round the 10 mmol/l mark mostly.
Yesterday I had a ripe babana and yoghurt for breakfast and spiked to 16. I can understand that.

Today I had two scrambled eggs and black pudding and spiked to 14, which surprised me. I guess I should just keep paying attention to foods!

SOTR

My Freestyle Libre is very helpful. I have now started to cut carbs out of my diet - for instance having Edam cheese and pepperoni sausage for breakfast. My blood sugar is averaging 10 mmol/l and I have been 70% time on target below 10%
I have been using the Libre for about a week.

Your thoughts on the next step? Keep up the low carbs and the glucose should continue to improve?
Or maybe it is time fr some exercise?

I really do think having a bang up to date reading on a 15 minute basis is invaluable.
Waiting three months to be told you were a bad boy is useless. I admit to eating crisps because 'what the hell - it is a treat and will evened out over three months'

SOTR

Just reviving this one. Freestyle metre says average 10 mmol/l glucose for me over the last two weeks.
This is with a low carb diet which started at the same time.
Over what sort of timescale should I be seeing glucose go down? I am getting a bit concerned that it will stick at around 10.

SOTR

I just had some Lizzis granola, yoghurt and half a banana earlier. Blood sugar has spiked to 15. I think I it is the banana - no more ripe bananas for me, sadly.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just had some Lizzis granola, yoghurt and half a banana earlier. Blood sugar has spiked to 15. I think I it is the banana - no more ripe bananas for me, sadly.
Can I suggest you count the amount of carbs in each meal for the next several weeks and finger prick before and two hours after eating including snacks eg crisps. Keep a record so you will know which meals spike more than 2. Its better to avoid snacks if you can so the window of not eating is longer. Lots of info about carb counting on Diet Doctor website. Fruit high carb except for berries. I have only used Libre to look at trends eg useful after my Covid vac to keep an eye on things. Good luck if you stick to low carb you will get there.
PS. If you like crisps there are LC ones out there or make your own using grated cheese or crisping up sliced pepperoni in the oven, all sorts of LC possibilities to explore but my best advice do count your carbs.

SOTR

Regarding crisps I have cut them out of my diet for the last two weeks. Replaced with cashew nuts... and pork scratchings.
I am eating a lot of pork scratching - I guess these should be a special treat as they are very salty.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think it makes much difference if the banana is ripe or not, it's not a good choice on a low carb diet.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check the ingredients and quantities of what you are eating.
Lizis low sugar contains oats which spike most of us. Lots of yogurts have sugars (there re over 160 names for sugar allowed on UK food labels!).
And avoid all fruit except for berries, and then only in moderation.

Depending on quantity etc that breakfast could well have been over 50g carbs, more than my total daily allowance

Testing just before eating and 2 hours after wills show you results and what to avoid.

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
berry-almond-paleo-granola-CERP2.webp

I find this is a reasonable low carb breakfast - doesn't push me up too much. it helps to have something quick to go in the mornings before work...

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
berry-almond-paleo-granola-CERP2.webp

I find this is a reasonable low carb breakfast - doesn't push me up too much. it helps to have something quick to go in the mornings before work...
Getting mixed info on carbs, looks like there are a number of varieties some which are pretty high

https://www.paleofoodscompany.com/shop

That specific one seems 14.8 per 100 which may still be too high for some, other paleo varieties are almost double that

but it’s an option, so thanks :)

SOTR

An uodate - my glucose has been high all morning, peaking at around 15. I have been feeling distinctly 'peaky' or as us Scots would say 'peely-wally'. Not ill, but just a bit off colour and unenthusiastic.
I realise I felt a lot like this in the latter part of last year and in the early part of this. I had not monitor then. I wonder if I was having some really high glucose levels.