Frequency of HBA1c Testing?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is no point doing a HBA1C test more often then every 8 weeks, they are often only done once a year if someone has stable BG and meds have not been changed.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it was 3 months, then 6 months and now annually. I expect the frequency depends if it is changing rapidly or staying about the same.

Reactions: ringi
D

Deleted Account

I am not aware of an "ought to be tested" frequency for HbA1C.
I know there is little point testing more often than 3 months because it provides an average of the last 3 months.

But if you are regularly BG testing yourself, why do you need a HbA1C?
It is a single figure which approximates how well you are doing but will ignore spikes.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I haven't been tested since March.

Am I wrong in thinking it OUGHT to be every three months?

It is different for each person and if you have tight control of your blood sugars then you could well be tested at 6 months intervals.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Basically, it depends on individual circumstances..but I am pretty sure the general approach, if no obvious need arises, is once every 6 months. I've had it done more frequently for other health reasons.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
It seems to depend on where you live. Each Health Board recommends HbA1c testing frequency and for me, it's normally once a year. If meds are being changed/introduced or diabetes is not under control it is done every two months.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I haven't been tested since March.

Am I wrong in thinking it OUGHT to be every three months?
At my GP ptactice the general rule is annual testing but the diabetic nurse (dn) may say she wants to see me in xmonths. In my case it has been 6monthly. Then you have to hope you do not get the very useless receptionist who is the one that refuses to give an appointment more frequently than annually and forgets to give us the blood test form.

I do the blood test 10 days or so before the appointment to allow time for the results to come through.

If you are feeling ill or worried just make an appointment with the dn. My dn has told me to go and see her if I get any cuts and to make sure I take care of my feet. Have you been on a course to explain diabetes yet? I am T2 and was only HBA1c 52 so I got the option of going on the DESMOND course. I found it helpful.