Frio bags and airport security

Anne LL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to fly for the first time after diagnosis. I have got a letter from my diabetic nurse and some frio bags. I know to take double of everything including my libre sensor and all in my hand luggage but am wondering how to use the Frio bags. If I soak them in water and put all my spare insulin in when I leave home what happens at airport security? Do I take the insulin out and put it in the clear plastic bag and leave the Frio bags in my hand luggage and then replace the other side of security and do soaked Frio bags count as liquid? Any other travelling advice?

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always left the insulin in the Frio bags inside my hand luggage, just as they are, not in a plastic bag when travelling, typically one of the small size and one of the large size.. Without checking to be sure I think the Frio instructions do say not to keep them in a plastic bag. I have never had a problem with airport security. The Frio bags, insulin, needles etc aren’t usually even commented on at all. I think the only comment was one official asking my opinion on freestyle libre because he had a relative thinking of changing from Dexcom!
Enjoy your trip.

Anne LL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought you had to put all liquids inc insulin cartridges in a plastic bag as you go through security check? Do you soak your Frio bags and put your insulin in them and keep it all inside carry on case?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wait until I have been through security before I soak my Frio.
Although I have never had an issue, I had read about some security guys worrying, not about the liquid, but they are concerned that the water turns the crystals to gel which is concerning.
Insulin can be kept out out the fridge and Frio for up to 30 days so are fine in your hand luggage as it is.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I soak my Frios before I go to the airport and keep all the insulin in them as I go through security. I explain what they are and offer to remove and show the insulin. I’ve never had any difficulty.

Reactions: EllieM
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's all change just now.

I flew Bristol to Dublin recently and on both legs we went through the new style scanners and were firmly instructed to leave all liquids in our bags. We were not to take them out and present separately.

The rules still say, and we should be prepared to, present liquids in the plastic bags, but some lanes have the new scanners already installed and it will depend on which queue in which airport you are in whether you need to or not.

But soon that will be one little friction in life that will be a distant memory.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I soak my Frios before I go to the airport and keep all the insulin in them as I go through security. I explain what they are and offer to remove and show the insulin. I’ve never had any difficulty.
I do the same. Soak before going to the airport, insulin inside them, and go through security like that.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Personally take x3 times the amount of kit you think you'll need, I got caught short taking just double and got into trouble once on holiday.