ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Give it your best shoot @hichamgsm . No shame if you see rises which need curtailing with strict low carbing until metformin does it's little help with bgs.
Just be aware of no longer on an appetite suppressant but if on low carb then maybe no carb cravings to start the negative roll on effect. Any cravings get those tablets available incase the time isn't right.
External influences could put more pressure on your bgs without metformin. Well I find, for me.
See how it goes?

I often have to stop and start metformin due to tummy bugs shared from toddlers but I'm once again losing with metformin. As without I add 2st in days.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Give OP a chance to observe the full effect of withdrawn metformin and decide for himself.

@hichamgsm will correct me if I am wrong, but to my knowledge when he stopped "medications" he is referring not only to Metformin but also to Diamicron (which is in the Gliclazide/sulphonylrea family). I did suggest some weeks ago that cutting back or stopping the Diamicron should be done only with medical advice and supervision.

As far as I can tell, his argument is that he had uncontrolled T2D for 12 years, without medication, before recently working to get it under control (with drugs and diet) and he therefore feels it cannot do any harm to experiment with stopping the Diamicron. I have in the past already gently disagreed with this.

Edited to add the obvious: If he has dropped the Diamicron altogether and working on diet only, the risk of hypos is presumably zero. The danger comes from unnecessarily high BG.

My best wishes to him.

(Edited to make more medical sense!!!)

Last edited:
Reactions: HICHAM_T2

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know a few type2 posters who have fought with 7s, especially on a morning (old fbg threads 2015-2016).
Some decided to take advice from their dn after raised hba1c. Some didn't and decided to go down the no meds route.
We are all different but ultimately we have diabetes or reversed diabetes, for life.
So luckily any decision can be revised due to regular diabetes appointments. Or in uk the gp is just an appointment away.
Self management is what the nhs encourages. In fact there isn't enough funds for one-2-one daily care.
Some has to be done yourself, which includes deciding what treatment, if any works for you.
Which will always be an individual choice after receiving nhs advice and guidance.

In my experience a type2 stopping a sulphonylrea which has been medical advised would risk higher bgs on stopping it, not hypos.
In fact your risk of hypos are less by not taking sulphonylreas. Also these meds force your pancreas to create more insulin and if you're highly IR like me and produce too much insulin already then to reduce insulin production, reducing or stopping sulphonylrea is noted by dr bernstein as a step in the right direction and as it risks burning out the pancreas' s cells and risking type1-like diabetes, which currrently cannot be reversed or put in remission. He's book message, not mine. I'm no diabetes dr.
Only the OPs gp knows what he/she would advise @hichamgsm about his decision once he explains why.
Ultimately thou hichamgsm has decided he wants to get off meds and feels confident to try and see for himself how well his diabetes is now behaving after revising his diet.
Who are we to diswayed him from improving his diabetic status?
Maybe he wants to see his new baseline via a new hba1c without meds to see what further work is needed to stay med-free, for as long as possible?. It's a very long journey...hopefully.
We all deserve to be able to rely on hope. Hope to progress towards the ideal management which ticks all our boxes, not just a none diabetic hba1c result, once or twice.
We all have seperate goals for ourselves.
Why wouldnt the OP be any different?

Good luck @hichamgsm . You have my full support. PM me if you feel you want to know more about my experience of being on gliclizide and now on insulin therapy and hugely IR when I didn't have to be. I've managed diabetes for over 40yrs now which includes stopping gliclizide and metformin both together due to intolerance and done with no forum, gp and at the time was awaiting for an endocrologist consultation.
Keep testing and stay focused. Its very possible.
Re-read daisy1s intro information and/or see this website for ideal bg readings to keep you right.
We all have our seperate own bgs range given by our main diabetes team.
As we are all different.
Go for it! :) :) :)

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi all members have a nice day

Today my blood glucose 2.00 AM was 97mg/dl

7.20 AM was 126mg/dl that means difference 2mg/dl down

Reactions: Bluetit1802

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I know a few type2 posters who have fought with 7s, especially on a morning (old fbg threads 2015-2016).
Some decided to take advice from their dn after raised hba1c. Some didn't and decided to go down the no meds route.
We are all different but ultimately we have diabetes or reversed diabetes, for life.
So luckily any decision can be revised due to regular diabetes appointments. Or in uk the gp is just an appointment away.
Self management is what the nhs encourages. In fact there isn't enough funds for one-2-one daily care.
Some has to be done yourself, which includes deciding what treatment, if any works for you.
Which will always be an individual choice after receiving nhs advice and guidance.

In my experience a type2 stopping a sulphonylrea which has been medical advised would risk higher bgs on stopping it, not hypos.
In fact your risk of hypos are less by not taking sulphonylreas. Also these meds force your pancreas to create more insulin and if you're highly IR like me and produce too much insulin already then to reduce insulin production, reducing or stopping sulphonylrea is noted by dr bernstein as a step in the right direction and as it risks burning out the pancreas' s cells and risking type1-like diabetes, which currrently cannot be reversed or put in remission. He's book message, not mine. I'm no diabetes dr.
Only the OPs gp knows what he/she would advise @hichamgsm about his decision once he explains why.
Ultimately thou hichamgsm has decided he wants to get off meds and feels confident to try and see for himself how well his diabetes is now behaving after revising his diet.
Who are we to diswayed him from improving his diabetic status?
Maybe he wants to see his new baseline via a new hba1c without meds to see what further work is needed to stay med-free, for as long as possible?. It's a very long journey...hopefully.
We all deserve to be able to rely on hope. Hope to progress towards the ideal management which ticks all our boxes, not just a none diabetic hba1c result, once or twice.
We all have seperate goals for ourselves.
Why wouldnt the OP be any different?

Good luck @hichamgsm . You have my full support. PM me if you feel you want to know more about my experience of being on gliclizide and now on insulin therapy and hugely IR when I didn't have to be. I've managed diabetes for over 40yrs now which includes stopping gliclizide and metformin both together due to intolerance and done with no forum, gp and at the time was awaiting for an endocrologist consultation.
Keep testing and stay focused. Its very possible.
Re-read daisy1s intro information and/or see this website for ideal bg readings to keep you right.
We all have our seperate own bgs range given by our main diabetes team.
As we are all different.
Go for it! :) :) :)
Thank you for your interest and this indicates your high morals
In fact, there are very special members here, I hope that the days will bring them together. They are good people regardless of religion or color
I would like to mention here some of the people I remember and the list is long. I hope you will forgive me for forgetting them
Like @Bluetit1802 and MR @Grateful

Last edited:

Emersons

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had steroid induced diabetes since an operation 6 weeks ago. I experimented by stopping injecting injecting insulin 5 days ago, my levels dropped to 3.1 late morning. During the last 5 days I have maintained levels of 5- 9, only once did they go above 10.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I have had steroid induced diabetes since an operation 6 weeks ago. I experimented by stopping injecting injecting insulin 5 days ago, my levels dropped to 3.1 late morning. During the last 5 days I have maintained levels of 5- 9, only once did they go above 10.
When I decided to stop the medication because I think this type of diabetes does not need external insulin

And that my problem is because of malnutrition in my country consumes an individual more than a 3kg of white sugar per month
Nutrition culture is a problem for countries that are on their way to growth or Third World countries

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Today my blood glucose is down 92mg/dl. 1.00.AM. 103mg/dl. 6.00 AM

Reactions: Bluetit1802