Frontier: New Article supporting and researching low carb

Dandelade

Thank you for the article. I’m very new to it all but fascinated by the physiology.

Connecting what I’ve read to myself, whilst anecdotal and maybe a bit of confirmation bias, I used to be really frustrated that I couldn’t do more than 3 hours of activity at a time (gentle walking, shopping/ dog walking/ house work) without getting exhausted. It’s the first time I’ve read that t2 may have issues with gluconeogenesis which now makes total sense - wish I’d had a blood glucose monitor at the time to confirm!

Since switching to low carb I’m able to do lots more, perhaps related to an improvement of gluconeogenesis, or an improvement in uptake of blood glucose (?) which is all very encouraging!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
It should be recommended reading at my surgery!

Last edited:

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is important to be aware that XPERT Health is a commercial organisation providing health and dietary training and courses for the NHS and DUK. They offer many different dietary plans from Eatwell to Mediterranean, DASH, as well as medium and low carb diets.

This paper is correctly declared to be a narrative document and is similar in strength to an essay or dissertation. It is not at the standard required for a Thesis or science paper where some of the evidence is needed to have been conducted by the author(s). It relies on others performing comparative analyses and meta-analysis studies. It does not seem to have had any access to the raw trial data for any of the conclusions and statements it makes, and it is not clear if any of the sub-papers had such access.

I am amazed by the consistent almost magical way it manages to draw positive conclusions for LCD in almost all of the reviews, whereas the original study reports drew different conclusions. The one area that was glossed over was where the author was talking about the 6 RCT trials where it suddenly went a bit wooly as regards significance. I smell an agenda. Especially since the star study reports it holds up in conclusion is from Virta Health and dc.uk (i.e. the forum on this site) Nice plug!

I get the impression this paper is an echo chamber in support of those who already support LCD dieting but may fall apart at the seams if challenged.

One last observation. The author does not seem to understand why LCD seems to reduce the Trig values of the blood test results. Not very convincing in that section.

Reactions: MrsA2