Frozen Shoulder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I have been diagnosed with frozen shoulder which is seriously effecting my sleep and I am in a lot of pain. I am due to have an injection in my shoulder on Friday and wondered if this is not a good idea if you are diabetic? Is it better to try and wait for it to eventually get better?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debbietaylor2005 I feel for you. I've three(!), two on my right and one on my left... and it is probably some of the worse things that's happened to me. Getting an X-ray was the worst, bending the arm to get into position.... :(
Initially my GP just wanted to fill me full of pain killers, which just made me completely constipated.
In the end I demanded a Physio referral, which I got and from there it was exercises with lots of stretching and deep deep massages and they are both clear now.
I spend 15 minutes every morning on shoulder exercises.
I wish you well.
Hj

callieuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had two (one each side) and on the worst, the right I did have the steroid injection (this was many years ago and pre-diabetes). Honestly, I can sympathise as it's some of the worst pain I've had. The injection helped, as did physio and then yoga, I can't comment on the diabetes part but the injection was a godsend to me - I waited 18 months hoping it would rectify.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
First if you have genuine frozen shoulder (adhesive encapsulitis) then a steroid injection is unlikely to help. It may help other forms of shoulder problem. This is the advice given by my wife's consultant. The main treatment for genuine frozen shoulder is pain relief and time and amitriptyline which my wife had from the consultant can be very useful for the pain. Any steroids will increase your blood sugar.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
First if you have genuine frozen shoulder (adhesive encapsulitis) then a steroid injection is unlikely to help. It may help other forms of shoulder problem. This is the advice given by my wife's consultant. The main treatment for genuine frozen shoulder is pain relief and time and amitriptyline which my wife had from the consultant can be very useful for the pain. Any steroids will increase your blood sugar.

and did it work?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had a cortistone injection on my first frozen shoulder at my surgery, ( a few years ago) it was painful and really didn't help very much, but being referred to have physio did help and I did exercises at home too, but unfortunately after many years, I still have them.
I do hope it works for you and eases your pain. Take care

Last edited: