Frozen Shoulder

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Physical therapy, a lot of it, worked for me. Also, the at-home exercises. But it required the very strenuous efforts of the physical therapists to break up those sticky deposits in the joint, There was no way around those PT sessions in my case. But definitely worth it.

thhpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I'm just trying to get some advice about frozen shoulder. I have 2 and have had for around 3 years. Still so painful and such limited movement it really affects my day to day life and it's starting to really get me down! The constant pain! The GP has said on more than one occasion to take paracetamol and it will go eventually. Can anyone help or advise please? Thanks.

Frozen shoulder is a result of glycation of collagen due to exposure to elevated blood glucose. Once glycated it will not resolved by itself as collagen is the longest living tissue in the body (half life of 15 years) Learnt from Dr Berstein (of Diabetes University/teleseminar on YouTube) the only effective treatment is deep tissue trigger point massage by a qualified practitioner.

The first prime minister of Singapore Lee Kuan Yew also had frozen shoulders where his government senior orthopedic consultants told him that the only treatment is to do surgery and pull apart the glycated tissues. He was saved by Mr Deng Xiao Peng of China who send him an accomplished TCM practitioner to massage away the glycated trigger points. (these were his own words during an interview)

No steroid injections would help, it will only send your blood glucose sky high. After the trigger point massage, you need to keep blood glucose normalized, otherwise the glycation will resumed Hope this is useful.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had frozen shoulder a few years ago. It resolved itself after 2 years and was back to full strength after 3 years.

Mr Doggy

Hey, seems like Diabetics seem to suffer from this. I basically had the same issue in both shoulders but on two different occasions. It's called capsulitis and most GPs don't know the diagnosis. Pain killers isn't the solution. I tried, it got worse. Mine got so bad that I could not move my arms up past the keyboard on desk level. Here in Spain they'll send you to physio so, I'm unsure what they do in the UK but I'd highlight how much you're in pain to the doctor and ask for a physio referral to the hospital or a clinic.

There's various treatments for pain and movement. Doing A LOT OF PSYSIO is sure fire way of getting rid of it. Privately you need to do it supervised so shop and ask around for someone good. The exercises are super easy and no real need for kit. There's various session based stuff involving heat / electricity stimulus you get in clinics and not elsewhere. That's all down to the diagnosis.

However, what I learned was that EACH CASE is unique and there's no catch-all do these exercises and it'll work. I have had 2 doctors giving different exercises 4 weeks apart in the same clinic. .

I found that having acupuncture is good psychologically. Seriously I didn't believe in it, but having a needle in the leg and able to move my arm freely and no pain made me feel I could beat it.

You need to do physio asap as the longer you leave it the more rigid it gets. You need to go to physio and do it everyday without fail for a few weeks to a month. I was in severe pain. Basically private route can make the public one easier and vice versa. Obviously there's costs associated.

I pushed myself a little more the second time around as I found other people in the class weren't improving, and faced with the choice of surgery or recovery, I opted for all go and getting myself better. I'm glad I did as it's not come back since.

After I recovered you have to lets say, keep it moving and something you enjoy. I started up dancing. locking as it's very shoulder and arm centric than with feet. Basically it made exercise and recovery fun and the great thing is, you can make up your own freestyle dances to any music. That makes it really versatile. Very crude description is its like Michael Jackson meets modern hip-hop. Here's how it looks
. Any dance warm up using top part of the body on youtube is a great way to keep loose :D

elleyouer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had the injection couple of years ago and the relief lasted 5 minutes. Time is what was doing it for me until it fell off a ladder last week. Now I’m back to square one if not worse than before. Oh well! Here goes another few years of healing.

Kes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used the door stretch.
stand by a door reach back and place your hand on top of the door then gently turn away and maybe down from the door so that you can feel the stretch.. keep it up but don't overdo it.
After a few mins of mild stretching pain, the muscles/tendons pulling the shoulder forward will relax.
There is also the Schwarzenegger shoulder pose which recentres the shoulder.

This is also often nerve-related and B12 deficiency.
Take sub lingual metyl B12 tablets, especially if taking metformin.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs